Just curious, how much would you pay for this coin?

JayAg47

• JayAg47 changed the title to Just curious, how much would you pay for this coin?

Posthumous issue?

It has fairly even wear and doesn't seem to be the work of a particularly skilled engraver, or struck in "holy crap this coin is 3D!" relief, which IMO is the only way I'd pay close to $1,000 for a Lysimachos tet.

Personally I'd say around $350-500 for it.

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

The seller is asking for 1100 usd or 1750 aud, they're also domestic. If I'm gonna pay this much I'd rather buy it within my country than have it shipped halfway around the world and wait for weeks! But i'm not sure If I really want this coin. Most issues I've seen have really high relief, but with this one it looks like it was minted from worn dies. 

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 2
  • Yes 1

3 hours ago, JayAg47 said:

The seller is asking for 1100 usd or 1750 aud, they're also domestic. If I'm gonna pay this much I'd rather buy it within my country than have it shipped halfway around the world and wait for weeks! But i'm not sure If I really want this coin. Most issues I've seen have really high relief, but with this one it looks like it was minted from worn dies. 

You could maybe ask for some additional photos? Depth of relief can be hard to ascertain from a top-down view like that.

• Like 1

@Al Kowsky, it occurred to me after posting the yes-emoji to your question, that my response was quite ambiguous.  The worn dies bother me also, enough that I had the same thought on first viewing the coin.  

if I were buying a single example of the type, it would not be this one.  The coin has little circulation wear, or what I call “honest wear,” the presence of which would not deter me from purchase.  Rather, the images are mushy because of the advanced die state.  There must be better ones out there.  I would wait.  
I would not buy it as a place-holder in my collection, either.   Buying a problematic coin, even cheaply, with the intent to upgrade later, never seems to be a satisfactory experience.  The defects bother me more with time, and they render the coin more difficult to sell.  It’s the worst of all possible outcomes.  Funds expended on a coin you regret buying and can’t easily dispose of, because no one else is going to fall In love with it, either.  

@JayAg47, I think it is brilliant of you to solicit advice on your prospective purchase from this board.

I think a separate thread on regrettable purchases would be a lot of fun, and very informative; where one could post a coin and explain why you are unhappy with it.  I suspect we would all learn a lot.   

• Like 7

That OP Lysimachos is not a nice example. You'd be hard pressed to find one less attractive, even one with much more wear. I think it should sell at a big discount from typical prices. I think if anyone decided to make an offer on it, they would be thinking "Can I sell it for more?" I doubt they would want to own it unless it was very inexpensive. 

• Like 2

On 10/20/2023 at 5:25 PM, JayAg47 said:

For $1,750 USD you will get xf or better Lysimachos, example you shared is at most $400 coin, if that…

• Like 3

On 10/21/2023 at 2:25 AM, JayAg47 said:

The seller is asking for 1100 usd or 1750 aud, they're also domestic. If I'm gonna pay this much I'd rather buy it within my country than have it shipped halfway around the world and wait for weeks! 

I‘ve read such things a few times in this forum. Why would you want to pay more for an inferior coin? Would a few weeks less waiting time make such a difference?

I suggest looking up the Stanford Marshmellow Experiment

Patience really pays off, in all aspects of life. According to science 🙂

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • Yes 1