I can call this a milestone in my collection

ambr0zie

In the last months, for various reasons, I started to decrease the numbers of coins I buy. Less impulse purchases, less coins that do not have very unique features (in my personal opinion). Bargains are welcome of course. 
I won 3 coins in the last auction. I recently showed 2. The best coin is, in my opinion ....

image.png.4f444a73080eb979f0d5977cba9ce96b.png

22,9 mm, 4,7 g
Caracalla AD 198-217. AR antoninianus. Rome. 217.
ANTONINVS PIVS AVG GERM, Bust of Caracalla, radiate, draped, right / P M TR P XX COS IIII P P, Serapis, wearing polos on head, standing left, holding corn-ears in wreath (?) in right hand and sceptre in left hand
RIC IV Caracalla 289d; RSC 383b.

Caracalla is not the rarest emperor from Roman history, but I always wanted an antoninianus from his reign. The main reason is simple, this new denomination appeared in his times, as an attempt to save the economy, because the financial situation was not great. We do not have clear proof that this is how they called the new coin type, but the major hint is the radiate crown indicating double value (like dupondius vs as). But the purity of the silver content was inferior (even with the denarius being continuously debased in the past) and the silver content was equivalent to 1,5 denarii. This aggravated the inflation and the population hoarding the older coins with higher purity so the effect was exactly what they didn't want.  Even if according to some sources only denarii were accepted as payment for taxes, but people were paid in the new coins. 
Some things to be mentioned - the emperors were depicted with a radiate crown on this denonination. Empresses - with bust on crescent. Again - we are not sure how the Romans called this new coin, the term antoninianus being used my modern numismatists. How did the folk call it? Antoninianus? Radiatus? Double denarius? 

After this monetary change, the antoninianus slowly became the most popular Roman coin. But as we all know, the debasement continued in a fast pace, and in times of Aurelian (so just a little over 50 years after its introduction) the bronze/silver ratio was 20:1. 

The second reason for buying my coin was that it was struck in 217, the year Caracalla was assassinated. 

The last reason is the reverse. Caracalla was not the first emperor with Serapis reverses on Roman coins, but he declared imperial support to this Egyptian deity of healing. Temples from Alexandria were restored, as ordered by Caracalla. And he even erected a Serapis temple in 212, on the Quirinal Hill (one of the seven hills in Rome). 

Serapis on Imperial coinage was rather an eccentric aparition. There were some (rare) Serapis reverses before Caracalla - the Flavians, Hadrian, Commodus, but these were exceptions rather than rules. Before Caracalla there were 1 Vespasian, 1 Domitian, 2 Hadrian and 9 Commodus types. Then 33 Caracalla types. Then 1 Gordian III type, 2 Gallienus, 2 Claudius Gothicus, 2 Postumus and 3 LRB medallions. 

To make it even more interesting, Caracalla dedicated the weapon he used to kill Geta to Serapis.  This was most likely done to cast Serapis into the role of Caracalla's protector from treachery.

Let's see 

- Caracalla antoninianii

- coins with Serapis

- "milestone" coins from your collection. 

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 26
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

Very nice coin and well chosen! Those sorts of purchases are nearly always more satisfying than an impulse buy.

One "milestone" coin for me was a Judaea Capta coin. Not too hard right? Except that I wanted a) an Imperial issue, not a provincial; b) a portrait of Titus, not Vespasian; and c) a large-mid sized bronze denomination, not a denarius.

When I saw this one pop up for sale at a very decent price I did not hesitate. It's far from perfect but it fills all the boxes, and the main devices and inscriptions are preserved. I have never regretted the purchase.

TitusasJudaeaCapta.jpg.a7fb38e9867fbe21d84bad55a3ac7624.jpg

• Like 19
  • Smile 2

1 hour ago, CPK said:

Very nice coin and well chosen! Those sorts of purchases are nearly always more satisfying than an impulse buy.

One "milestone" coin for me was a Judaea Capta coin. Not too hard right? Except that I wanted a) an Imperial issue, not a provincial; b) a portrait of Titus, not Vespasian; and c) a large-mid sized bronze denomination, not a denarius.

When I saw this one pop up for sale at a very decent price I did not hesitate. It's far from perfect but it fills all the boxes, and the main devices and inscriptions are preserved. I have never regretted the purchase.

TitusasJudaeaCapta.jpg.a7fb38e9867fbe21d84bad55a3ac7624.jpg

I am very thankful for the Judea Capta Titus Denarius I bought from you. I consider it one of my favorites in my collection and a milestone for me. I'm Still looking for a bronze Judea Capta or one with Vespasian 

26175C52-3A89-4804-9636-85B4F84D45B4.jpeg

E8D77FE0-A3C9-4876-9A5E-4FEEB3A23C14.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Clap 1

Congratulations! That's a nice coin. I like how angry Caracalla looks on most of his coins - like the psychopath that he was. Very authentic.

On 9/27/2023 at 7:10 PM, ambr0zie said:

In the last months, for various reasons, I started to decrease the numbers of coins I buy. Less impulse purchases, less coins that do not have very unique features (in my personal opinion).

That's the way to go! I do not believe in impulse buys...

- "milestone" coins from your collection. 

In some way, every coin in my collection is a milestone coin to me. I would say that I buy quite carefully and I'm very fussy. Compared to most other collectors I don't have many coins.

My biggest milestones were probably these here:

image.png.79e402871b7696391617266e0c3043a1.png

81 BC, the obverse shows the first documented representation of Hispania. This was my first coin of the Roman Republic. 

image.jpeg.8c75ca80d4a933e8665b5dc0398e6016.jpeg

Nero, 65 AD. My favorite portrait of that guy.

image.jpeg.444a2a2f8db1f092cec4f113fdbf5165.jpeg

Titus, Judaea capta.

image.jpeg.f27c7b4e80d8a490442ea300af607c8d.jpeg

Hadrian, one of the Adoptive Emperors - with an ADOPTIO reverse!

image.png.2e60f8e35403920acd0ddc6b5cfe68d4.png

Hadrian, with Nilus reverse. Hadrians lover, Antinous, drowned in the Nile. Hadrian probably thought that the river good Nilus might take better care of Antinous if he worshipped him enough? To me, it appears that this coin retains a trace of Hadrian's sadness, allowing it to transcend through the millennia.

image.png.05efea3572ef0c71fe526efec9a69929.png

I associate this coin with the disastrous grain market regulation under Commodus; read here about it

image.png.05f30c0034537c913ef8db5478a13bf4.png

My first Commodus Hercules, from Jeremy. 

image.png.407d74f7d83aa8a7aadb6061b89b6a78.png

My second Commodus Hercules, from Prieure de Sion. Finally, I feel like I own enough of them. 

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 4

On 9/30/2023 at 7:08 PM, CPK said:

Speaking of milestones...I have a major, major 'milestone' coin coming in the mail which should arrive Monday. I cannot wait to see it, and will be sure to post about soon!

Just received word that there's been a mix-up and my coin will not be arriving until at least a week or so. 🙁 I was really looking forward to getting it today. Oh well, another week won't matter much.

• Cry 1