Battle of the Teutoburg Forest...

galba68

*FUROR TEUTONICUS*, by Serbian painter Paja Jovanovich...The monumental oil painting, 24 square meters, made in 1899, describes the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest..It went missing after being in the Chilean National Museum of Fine Arts, though this sketch has survived...

Furor-teutonicus-2.jpg

• Like 14

16 minutes ago, Qcumbor said:

Oh, I see, sorry for my misunserstanding 😞

Q

Well, in theory it could be in that Forrest. We cant rule anything out 😉

P.S. I love these kinds of misunderstandings. I make them with my wife all the time. If I could have a ancient coin for every 'sigh' she makes, I would have collected them all by now 😁

Edited by Limes
  • Like 1
  • Smile 1

20 minutes ago, Limes said:

Well, in theory it could be in that Forrest. We cant rule anything out 😉

P.S. I love these kinds of misunderstandings. I make them with my wife all the time. If I could have a ancient coin for every 'sigh' she makes, I would have collected them all by now 😁

..seems to my memory,  which dims with age, that one of the South Am. countries had a big fire some time back..i ain't sure if it was Chile...@Heliodramus

Edited by ominus1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Heliodromus said:

How does something that big get lost/stolen?! Maybe 4x6m = 12x18 feet in size!

It seems it'd be hard to sell something so large and unique - maybe stolen to order perhaps, and now adorning some millionaire's mansion ?

The painter Paja Jovanovic was known for some truly monumental paintings..Just look at this oil painting * The Proclamation of Tzar Dusans Law Codex* and its size...

1644578493-273466394_330745695630615_7781068034575493244_n-750x563.jpg

• Like 4

Back in 2017 I visited the site of the battle now believed to have been fought at Kalkriese. The day I arrived was a day with leaden skies but with no rain. IMG_3707.JPG.61a657166c3729931b35a9d201b79e24.JPG

One of the coins found on the site Aureus of AugustusIMG_3702.JPG.a93548b74ef03eee83a51496a1b5d992.JPG

Some of the artifacts found and where they would have been originally IMG_3701.JPG.7c7e789d1ea3712ba54b5001dc42768c.JPG

The Roman Parade mask IMG_3693.JPG.755ac3a441d511cd1213c43c36195988.JPG

The ground leading up to the German positions IMG_3691.JPG.eadf36ca5bee42704a6a91a4bcaa6795.JPG

Reconstruction of the German field works 

• Like 6

On 9/18/2023 at 12:47 AM, galba68 said:

*FUROR TEUTONICUS*, by Serbian painter Paja Jovanovich...The monumental oil painting, 24 square meters, made in 1899, describes the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest..It went missing after being in the Chilean National Museum of Fine Arts, though this sketch has survived...

Furor-teutonicus-2.jpg

These historical depictions of ancient battles are really interesting, because they show how our understanding of the past has improved. For example, the Germanic warriors would not have worn furs, but tailored wool, linen and leather clothing and leather shoes. Many of the Germanic warriors were Roman auxiliaries, who would have been hardly distinguishable from the legionaries. The fallen Germanic warrior is wearing an arm ring, which is out of place by about 1000 years. The winged helmet seen in the center is complete fantasy. However, two Germanic warriors are wearing what looks like wolfskins over their head and shoulders. They could be regarded as an unintended reference to Ulfhednar warriors, meaning wolfskin warriors, a type of elite warrior similar to the Berserkers (= bearskin warriors).

• Like 2