Your TOP 3 favorite coins from the Roman Republic?

Salomons Cat

I would like to show you my 3 favorite coins from the Roman Republic.
For me, it's not a difficult choice - because I own only 3 coins from the Roman Republic in total. And I'm completely happy with these 3 coins! 

Here they are:

Place 1)

image.png.79e402871b7696391617266e0c3043a1.png

A. Postumius Albinus. AR Denarius serratus, 81 BC. 
Obv: HISPAN. Veiled head of Hispania right, with dishevelled hair. 
Rev: A·POST·A·F·S·N·ALBIN (AL ligate). Togate figure standing left, raising right hand; on left, legionary eagle; on right, fasces with axe. 
Cr. 372/2; B. (Postumia) 8. AR. 3.91 g. 18.50 mm. 
Ex Artemide Aste, 09/2023.

Why do I think that this coin is special?

• This coin shows the first documented representation of Hispania.
    It was minted in Rome by the Postumia family in 81 BC, referring to L. Postumius Albinus, who was praetor in the year 180 BC and sent to Hispania as governor, standing out for his victories against Lusitanians and Vacceos. 
    (source: Wikipedia)
  • I find the reverse very beautiful.

Place 2)

image.png.b11caf273cc283072f98e919016eae35.png

Cn. Lucretius Trio. AR Denarius, 76 BC. 
Obv: Laureate head of Neptune right, trident over shoulder; behind, LXI. 
Rev: Winged boy on dolphin swimming right; below,L·LVCRETI/ TRIO. 
Cr. 390/2; B. (Lucretia) 3. AR. 3.91 g. 17.50 mm.

• Due to the winged boy on the dolphin, of course! Cupid (or Greek: Eros) was often displayed as a winged boy on a dolphin. It could be because the Greek people thought of dolphins as very affectionate animals (there are various stories about that) that they chose a dolphin as the companion for the god of love and desire.

Place 3)

image.jpeg.d837eed96054b4d75981894435fe4d1f.jpeg

C. Memmius C.f, 56 BC. Denarius (Silver, 19 mm, 3.91 g, 11 h), Rome.
Obv: C•MEMMI•C•F Head of Ceres to right, wearing wreath of grain ears and pendant earring. Banker's mark and light graffiti on the obverse. 
Rev: C•MEMMIVS / IMPERATOR Trophy of arms set on captive kneeling to right, his hands tied behind his back.
Babelon (Memmia) 10. Crawford 427/1. RBW 1531. Sydenham 920.
Ex Leu 07/2023

• First of all, I always find it fascinating when the Romans designed reverses that would be ethically, morally and politically completely incorrect from today's perspective.
  • The design of this reverse has been reused in modified form a few times.
    A while ago, I was the underbidder on this coin of Titus - but 1600$ was just really too much for me. Also in other cases, I could never acquire an attractive example of RIC 1076. It's usually sold as a Judaea capta issue which raises the price - although it is quite likely that it was actually minted to commemorate the victories in Britain. I'm glad that I finally own a variation of this reverse.

My knowledge about coins from the Roman Republic is quite limited and I wonder what else is out there that I have never seen.
I'm very curious which are your favorites and it would be great to look at them! 😃

Edited by Salomons Cat
  • Like 12
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 5

Nice coins and a good thread. Like you, I have only a limited number at the moment, 4 coins. The three I like best are as follows.

GaiusNaeviusBalbus79BC.jpg.8a39b491c4af67158d5dba829928455c.jpg

TheSertorianWars8072BCE.jpg.277571f462c257bb69639d2fbe50697e.jpg

nd2PR8zf4dAMQ7q6rGm9J6Ho5brXEJ.jpg.f97a24368220811beac6482162894345.jpg

L. Memmius AR Denarius (20mm, 3.77 g.)
Rome mint, struck 109-108 BC Gens Memmia
Obv. Apollo facing right, wearing oak wreath, mark of value below chin.
Rev. The Dioscuri standing facing, each holding spears and bridle of their horses, Xanthus and Cyllarus. Moneyer name in exergue.
Crawford 304

• Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1

Great coins and thread idea!

I don't know about favorites. But here are three that I really like...

IMG_4234(1)(2).JPG.605797992cc35902e95b6b2a442a6646.JPG

ROMAN REPUBLIC. Anonymous. AE Aes Grave Triens (47mm, 92.37 gms), Rome Mint, ca. 225-217 B.C. VERY FINE. Cr-35/3a; TV-53. Obverse: Helmeted head of Minerva left; four pellets (mark of value) below; all set upon raised disk; Reverse: Prow right; four pellets (mark of value) below; all set upon raised disk. A pleasing specimen despite its crudeness, with charming green surfaces. A test cut across Minerva's face is noted for completeness. 

1571400_1607291685.l.jpg.460adfac424173df25b9bef93be3060e.jpg

L. MARCIUS PHILIPPUS. Denarius (112 or 113 BC). Rome. Obv: Head of Philip V of Macedon right, wearing diademed royal Macedonian helmet with goat horns; Roma monogram to upper left, Φ to lower right. Rev: L PHILIPPVS . Equestrian statue right; mark of value in exergue. Crawford 293/1. VF 3.99 g. 19 mm. Ex Numismatik Naumann Purchased Jan/2021 

And lastly a fourée of, possibly, Vercingetorix:

021279_l-removebg-preview.png.5cde1161a1fb7eaa5b2ddedfc818b913.png.88feaac890dfa9b96f3394f0313620f3.png

• Like 9
  • Cookie 1
  • Mind blown 1

I own 28 RR coins, 24 being denarii so the choice is rather difficult. 

I would say 

1. A coin with Ulysses, a hero of the Trojan war

image.png.ddeebdb00de60f8ce1d4844f955ce2ed.png

2. Ti. Veturius, a coin that was a turning point in Roman coinage 

image.png.e9fa303d2be0258e5325d9e70a30b93a.png

3. A L. Julius L.f. Caesar denarius with Venus driving a biga of Cupids. 

image.png.4885f61ff764048f38ca206fb2891471.png

Again, the choice was difficult. There are other RR coins I own and like a lot, such as the L. Censorinus denarius with Marsyas (my first RR denarius), a L. Papius Celsus denarius with a beautiful depiction of the myth with the fox and the eagle, a Brutus denarius.... and not only those. RR coinage shows a lot of beautiful, dynamic and inventive designs. 

• Like 11
  • Mind blown 1

Here are three of mine that I am fond of. It is a difficult choice for me as I have been putting together a collection of moneyers that interest me but I lean towards the last years of the republic although my first coin predates most of these by 100 years.

image.gif.9f572454f4d4fc2368f700dc46f6744a.gif

M. Vargunteius AR Denarius. Rome, 130 BC. Helmeted head of Roma right; XVI monogram below chin, M#VARG behind / Jupiter driving triumphal quadriga right, holding palm frond and thunderbolt; ROMA in exergue. Crawford 257/1; RSC CRR 507.
Vargunteia 1. 3.77g, 20mm, 5h.

image.gif.bcb636d228cd300c04d1aa0d30244804.gif

Mark Antony. AR Denarius, autumn 32-spring 31 BC. Legionary issue. Patrae(?) mint. Obv. ANT AVG III VIR R P C. Praetorian galley right. Rev. CHORTIS SPECVLATORVM. Three signa decorated with wreaths and rostra. Cr. 544/12. AR. 3.05 g. 19.00 mm. R. Rare. Banker's marks. Iridescent toning. About VF. Technically still Republican at this point.

image.gif.fd0dcec9c491333544547c31c7879ef4.gif

image.gif.ab30f044b5bdb829700aee5e96e4c294.gif

Ref Julius Caesar RSC 49 denarius
Julius Caesar. 49-48 BC. AR Denarius. CAESAR in exergue, elephant right, trampling on serpent / Simpulum, sprinkler, axe and priest's hat. Cr443/1; Syd 1006; BMCRR (Gaul) 27. 17.97 mm 3.44 g

• Like 11

I have a few, but most of the Republic coins I have were found in the UK. Given the conquest of Britain happened 70 years after the start of the Roman Empire, all the Republic coins found there are in a terrible state. These are the best 🤣

Brockage of a Licinia 7 Denarius, 113-112BC
image.png.6463d223c6a942976cf7c5e69e7de8ae.png
Rome. Silver, 3.25g. Publius Licinius Nerva. Helmeted bust of Roma left, holding shield in left hand and spear over shoulder in right; * in left field, crescent above helmet, ROMA in right field. Original reverse: Voting scene: three citizens in the comitium; one of them placing ballot in cista. In middle field above, a tabella inscribed P; below, P·NERVA (Babelon Licinia 7). Found near Peterborough.

M Aemilius Scaurus and P Plautius Hypsaeus Denarius, 58BC
image.png.244e7bbbfabc538ca1bd3da032ecfad6.png
Rome. Silver, 3.43g. Aretas of Nabataea kneeling right beside camel presenting olive-branch; M SCAVR / AED CVR above, EX - SC across fields, REX ARETAS in exergue. Jupiter in quadriga left brandishing thunderbolt, scorpion below horses; P HVPSEVS / AED CVR above, CAPTVM to right and C HVPSAE COS / PREIVER in exergue (Craw 422/1). Found Essex.

Republic Cn. Domitius Ahenobarbus Semis, 128BC
image.png.bb2328e3ca4a85ca4e82b602692ecade.png
Rome. Bronze, 23mm, 8.27g. Laureate head of Saturn right. Prow of galley right; CN. DOMI above, S, ROMA below (RRC 261/2).

• Like 9

On 9/12/2023 at 9:04 AM, Salomons Cat said:

I would like to show you my 3 favorite coins from the Roman Republic.
For me, it's not a difficult choice - because I own only 3 coins from the Roman Republic in total. And I'm completely happy with these 3 coins! 

Here they are:

Place 1)

image.png.79e402871b7696391617266e0c3043a1.png

A. Postumius Albinus. AR Denarius serratus, 81 BC. 
Obv: HISPAN. Veiled head of Hispania right, with dishevelled hair. 
Rev: A·POST·A·F·S·N·ALBIN (AL ligate). Togate figure standing left, raising right hand; on left, legionary eagle; on right, fasces with axe. 
Cr. 372/2; B. (Postumia) 8. AR. 3.91 g. 18.50 mm. 

• This coin shows the first documented personification of Hispania.
    It was minted in Rome by the Postumia family in 81 a. C., referring to L. Postumius Albinus, who was praetor in the year 180 B.C. and sent to Hispania as governor, standing out for his victories against Lusitanians and Vacceos. 
    (source: Wikipedia)
  • I just find the reverse very beautiful.

Place 2)

image.png.b11caf273cc283072f98e919016eae35.png

Cn. Lucretius Trio. AR Denarius, 76 BC. 
Obv: Laureate head of Neptune right, trident over shoulder; behind, LXI. 
Rev: Winged boy on dolphin swimming right; below,L·LVCRETI/ TRIO. 
Cr. 390/2; B. (Lucretia) 3. AR. 3.91 g. 17.50 mm.

• Due to the winged boy on the dolphin, of course! Cupid (or Greek: Eros) was often displayed as a winged boy on a dolphin. It could be because the Greek people thought of dolphins as very affectionate animals (there are various stories about that) that they chose a dolphin as the companion for the god of love and desire.

Place 3)

image.jpeg.d837eed96054b4d75981894435fe4d1f.jpeg

C. Memmius C.f, 56 BC. Denarius (Silver, 19 mm, 3.91 g, 11 h), Rome.
Obv: C•MEMMI•C•F Head of Ceres to right, wearing wreath of grain ears and pendant earring. Banker's mark and light graffiti on the obverse. 
Rev: C•MEMMIVS / IMPERATOR Trophy of arms set on captive kneeling to right, his hands tied behind his back.
Babelon (Memmia) 10. Crawford 427/1. RBW 1531. Sydenham 920.
Ex Leu 07/2023

• First of all, I always find it fascinating when the Romans designed reverses that would be ethically, morally and politically completely incorrect from today's perspective.
  • The design of this reverse has been reused in modified form a few times.
    A while ago, I was the underbidder on this coin of Titus - but 1600$ was just really too much for me. Also in other cases, I could never acquire an attractive example of RIC 1076. It's usually sold as a Judaea capta issue which raises the price - although it is quite likely that it was actually minted to commemorate the victories in Britain. I'm glad that I finally own a variation of this reverse.

My knowledge about coins from the Roman Republic is quite limited and I wonder what else is out there that I have never seen.
I'm very curious which are your favorites and it would be great to look at them! 😃

Superb #1 example 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Salomons Cat said:

But I wonder: Why was it a turning point? 🤔

Warning - long text. This is the note I have in my catalog and it might answer your question

This denarius is a pivotal piece in terms of the development and evolution of Roman coinage. This coin type marks a major shift in the use of coins in terms of individual expression, identity, and contemporary historical events. While the imagery of the coin was certainly not original, the selection and timing of the iconographic choices made by the moneyer Tiberius Veturius was groundbreaking and led to a major change in how the imagery and inscriptions of coins functioned within the late Roman Republican political and social system.

This denarius of Tiberius Veturius combined previous numismatic designs in such a way as to reference current events which highlighted both a political position regarding Roman foreign policy, and the civic honor of Veturius’ family. Although these images were not new to the numismatic repertoire, because they had been reused on the denarius (a type that had seen very little iconographic change in almost 75 years), it likely would have come as a major shock to a population used to seeing and handling one unchanging type of coin. Carlos Noreña goes so far as to label this moment a “critical rupture,” and Andrew Wallace-Hadrill, a “decisive break.”

By combining archaic iconography into a new visual program, Tiberius Veturius was not only continuing but also dramatically advancing the previous trend in which the moneyers advanced their family prestige and personal honor through coin images. Although some scholars do not believe that we can ever truly decipher what the moneyers may have had in mind when designing coins, it does seem that such a dramatic break with tradition needs contextualization and almost certainly can be explained by one remarkable event. It is likely that the choice to include the god Mars over Roma meant to highlight, not necessarily war in its most basic sense (the fact that Rome was indeed at war when this coin was minted is not necessarily relevant—Rome was often at war and there does not seem to be any correlation between that and the numismatic appearance of Mars, who had other associations beyond the martial), but a family connection to that deity’s cult: in 204 BCE, Tiberius Veturius Philo had served as a flamen Martialis or priest of Mars.

Beyond that, it is the oath scene that has caused the most discussion by scholars. Several authors have connected this particular scene to two different historical oaths or alliance events in Roman history. The first is the Treaty of Caudine Forks in 321 BCE, which occurred during the consulship of Tiberius Veturius’ ancestor, T. Veturius Calvinus. It was during this time that Rome was at war with the Samnites and because the Romans were not in an advantageous position during that conflict they agreed to less than agreeable terms in a treaty. By the time of the minting of this coin, Rome had already been involved for decades in a slow and bloody conquest of Hispania. In 137 BCE, after yet another unsuccessful siege of the fortified city of Numantia, Rome again submitted to a treaty, this time (and here the allusion to the Caudine Forks Treaty is clear) as equals, a foedus aequum. The treaty (the foedus Numantium) was not well received in Rome. The Senate refused to recognize it, and it took a further two years before Numantia was finally taken by the Roman army. The oath scene of this coin then can be interpreted as a call to the Romans to adhere to and support the treaty, which would certainly have saved the lives of soldiers and allies alike. The coin not only represents a turning point in the development of Roman coinage, it also encapsulated a turning point in the development of the Roman psyche.

The coin produced by Tiberius Veturius in 137 BCE is linked to a watershed moment in the development of the denarius as the numismatic iconography moved from that which was initially anonymous, to that which honored the moneyer’s family and finally by the end of the century, the moneyer himself. This coin recycled familiar imagery in order to publicize the moneyer’s famous ancestors and to highlight the moneyer’s position on current political events. At the very least, 137 BCE was a monumental year for Rome’s early development and this coin represents some of that uncertainty, potential, and transformation.

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ambr0zie said:

Warning - long text. This is the notes I have in my catalog and it might answer your question

Thank you!
I have bought this coin now - you have convinced me 😄 I've had an eye on it during a few weeks. 

image.jpeg.3861c45a0e4d0986ff41ffc92395a772.jpeg

Let me summarize your text in very simple words - for myself to understand, but also to add a little bit of historical context:
This denarius by Tiberius Veturius changed how denarii were designed, after 137 BC. His choice referenced historical events that put his family in a good light. 
This initiated a change in the numismatic iconography - it moved from that which was initially anonymous, to that which honored the moneyer’s family and finally by the end of the century, the moneyer himself.

On the obverse, Mars was chosen because in 204 BCE, Tiberius Veturius Philo had served as a flamen Martialis or priest of Mars.

The reverse shows an oath scene - to understand this, it's necessary to know that in ancient Rome, oath taking was an important ritual in diplomacy: according to Livy (1.24), a pig was sacrificed after oaths were made to honor a treaty and after Jupiter was asked to kill an oath breaker. The Romans thought of themselves as particularly scrupulous about oaths. According to Cicero no crime was punished more harshly than perjury (De officiis 3.31.111), and Juvenal vividly portrays a perjurer fearful of divine retribution (Satire 13). [source] The reverse depicts an oath: a Samnite (left) and Roman (right) touch with their swords a pig held by a kneeling man, who is about to sacrifice the animal in order to sanctify the oath.
But the reverse could actually reference 2 important oaths in Roman history - one of them that was made and another one that was not made:

• The first is the Treaty of Caudine Forks in 321 BCE, which occurred during the consulship of Tiberius Veturius’ ancestor, T. Veturius Calvinus. It was during this time that Rome was at war with the Samnites and because the Romans were not in an advantageous position during that conflict they agreed to less than agreeable terms in a treaty.
  • By the time of the minting of this coin, in 137 BC, Rome was in a long lasting war with Numantia. The war began in 154 BC. To make it short: Several peace treaties (and oaths) were refused by the senate, many people died. In 137 BC, Tiberius Veturius would have supported a peace treaty, which was the message of this coin. Apparently, he was not successful. They made no peace treaty - the war continued and Rome won in 133 BC.
Edited by Salomons Cat
  • Like 9

When it comes to choosing my favorite Republican coin, for me it's not about rarity, or value , or even beauty. Instead it's all nostalgia. When I was 14, I dragged my Dad to a coin show, hoping to pick up some pennies for my album. Fred Knoblock happened to be at the show and I fell in love with a denarius of Tampillius Baebius. It was $9 at the time and out of the question. My dad pulled out a $10 dollar bill and bought it for me. This coin is another one like it  -  the original is locked up in a safe.

4490404.jpg.f577cd86a0950fc874aaa037c3f5097a.jpg

This coin I love because it was the very first Roman Republican coin I ever bought as a kid  Denarius of Aulus Licinius Nerva , c. 48 BCE.

combined67342.jpg.60fddf7e44f8a587c2a89420b1429378.jpg

This denarius, Plautius Plancus,  is my favorite design. I just love the Medusa , and the imagery of the Aurora , or a breaking dawn with  its orangey , red sky . My favorite animal aside from cats and dogs ( which I consider to be just "furry people"), is the horse.

3eEYF7wS8ZZkJ5qebi4GY6Sm9PnjiP.jpg.5150e3bb4cdc2620a12b2ad097332275.jpg

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

On 9/15/2023 at 10:11 PM, ambr0zie said:

I'm glad the text (not mine btw) convinced you. It is indeed a coin with a big symbolic importance. 

The example you bought is well centered, in excellent condition  and also shows the obverse legend - probably an expensive coin. 

Thank you! Yep, it was 425 EUR in ma-shops... Exactly at the limit of what I was willing to pay for it after I had searched the databases. Not cheap, but I simply couldn't find a specimen that I liked more and that has been sold for a lower price during the past few years.

Edited by Salomons Cat