I checked Domitius Domitianus off the list (kinda)

Nerosmyfavorite68

Galerius(DomitiusDomitianus)-RICVIAlexandria21b23x26mm9.0g295-296ADALEVictorClark.jpg.6b29cc5a93c2f5f66ac5f50390d1bd2f.jpg

Galerius
A.D. 295-296
23x26mm       9.0g
GAL VAL MAXIMIANVS NOB CAES; laureate head right.
GENIO POPV-L-I ROMANI; Genius standing left, modius on head, naked except for chlamys over left shoulder, holding patera and cornucopiae, eagle at feet to left; A in right.
In ex. ALE 
RIC VI Alexandria 21b

Grade; F (all of the above except for the grade is the dealer's description).

The coin's pretty modest, and there is a much nicer example there in the dealer's stock, but this was purchased as a box-ticker.  The main reason for the thread was to thank the dealer, Victor's Ancient Coins, for an amazingly fast turnaround.  I ordered the coin early last week and it was in the mailbox by Saturday.  Wow!

It's still by Domitius Domitianus, although not in the name of said emperor.

Feel free to post any coins made in the name of, or by, Domitius Domitianus.

Struck under Domitius Domitianus

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

still by Domitius Domitianus, although not in the name of said emperor.

..i'm kinda fuzzy on this...can you explain this to me of how you can tell...i know i have a coin of Postumus minted by Aureolus recognized by the reverse...enquiring minds want to know 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Grade; F (all of the above except for the grade is the dealer's description).

Nice coin. Mine, which came as bycatch in a large lot, grades about a QB+ (aka "quite bad, but not terribly so"):

RomDiokletianFollisAlexandria(unterUrsurpator).png.555e0ad863bc21efa9893d8afe3e224a.png

Diocletian (struck under Domitius Domitianus), Roman Empire, AE1 ("follis"), 295–296 AD, Alexandria mint. Obv: IMP C DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG; head of Diocletian, laureate, r. Rev: GENIO POPVLI ROMANI; Genius, wearing modius, nude, chlamys draped over l. shoulder, standing l., holding patera in r. hand and holding cornucopiae in l. hand; at feet to l., eagle holding wreath in its beak; in field r., B; in exergue, ALE. 26mm, 8.96g. Ref: RIC VI Alexandria 18a.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, ominus1 said:

..i'm kinda fuzzy on this...can you explain this to me of how you can tell...i know i have a coin of Postumus minted by Aureolus recognized by the reverse...enquiring minds want to know 🙂

To be fair, I'm not sure it's certain these were struck under Domitius Domitianus. He usurped Diocletian in Egypt for a few months in 297, so any coins struck then were in theory under him. But these are listed in RIC as 295-6. Even coins struck with his name on them were struck under Diocletian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is what I can contribute with here : Domitius Domitianus octadrachm AND Emmett plate coin :

6b94d298a15d4118a862842221e75846.jpg.ec8db4d222df9a88d71dc8b693a1cc56.jpg

bbfa325a3b6f41fd93fc5bf3ff941c85.jpg.2ba0e6c3034b0e884809fd4fb9a4ad6d.jpg

Domitius Domitianus, usurpateur en Egypte (296 - 297)

Octodrachme de l'atelier d'Alexandrie - AD 296-297

ΔOMITI-ANOC CEB, Buste radié de Domitius à droite

Serapis allant à droite, branche de palmier dans le champ à gauche, LB dans le champ à droite (2° année de règne)

12.79 gr

Ref : Emmett #4241/2 (cet exemplaire) (R1), Kampmann # 126.2, RCV # 12982 (2000),

Domitius Domitianus, stationed in Egypt, rebelled against Diocletianus in july 296 AD and was proclaimed emperor. He was defeated during spring 297 AD. Diocletian decided to close the alexandrian mint, so the coins of Domitianus are the last provincial coins from Alexandria. Also, Domitianus was the only ruler to strike octadrachms (in parallel with didrachms, tetradrachms and hexadrachms)

For more information, see, in english : http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Domitius%20Domitianus 

Also, the following comment, about another specimen sold at CNG (Triton XI, Lot # 539) "For the most part, scholars agree that the larger coins featuring the radiate bust must be a double, and thereby call it an octodrachm. At half the weight, then, the smallest coins with the Nike on the reverse must be tetradrachms, though these coins have erroneously been called heretofore didrachms. The weights of these tetradrachms appear consistent with the final issues of pre-reform tetradrachms of the Tetrarchs. The middle denomination poses the largest challenge to this arrangement. By weight, it should be a hexadrachm. However, no such denomination was known to have been struck in Egypt, though tetradrachms earlier in the third century achieved this weight. The obvious problem here would be the confusion caused in circulating the same denomination in two different weights. As this type is the rarest of the group, it is possible that it was meant for a special occasion, or more remotely, a stalled attempt to reinstitute the pre-reform coinage on an earlier weight standard. Further investigation may shed more light on this subject.

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 7
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

To be fair, I'm not sure it's certain these were struck under Domitius Domitianus. He usurped Diocletian in Egypt for a few months in 297, so any coins struck then were in theory under him. But these are listed in RIC as 295-6. Even coins struck with his name on them were struck under Diocletian.

The date is disputed, though RIC gives A.D. 295- 296. Other dates include 296- 297 and 297- 298. What is not disputed is that Domitianus struck coins in his name and in the names of the Tetrarchs. Also Diocletian definitely did not strike coins for a usurper. The GENIO coins struck by Domitianus are easy to distinguish-- workshop in the right field and nothing in left except eagle beside Genio. RIC VI Alexandria 18-21

https://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/Alexandria/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Benefactor

here's some of mine

Alexandria_20.jpg.2fcc77a6aff33ccd54b423066b6372a0.jpg

Domitius Domitianus
A.D. 295- 296
24mm     10.8g
IMP C L DOMITIVS DOMITIANVS AVG; laureate head right.
GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI; Genius standing left, modius on head, naked except for chlamys over left shoulder, holding patera and cornucopiae, eagle to left; A in right.
In ex. ALE  RIC VI Alexandria 20

Alexandria_18a.2.jpg.7ceefa5314292f5202e705852ee823ca.jpg

Diocletian
A.D. 295- 296
Ӕ follis   25mm     9.6g
IMP DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG; laureate head right.
GENIO POPVLI ROMANI; Genius standing left, modius on head, naked except for chlamys over left shoulder, holding patera and cornucopiae, eagle at feet to left; Γ in right.
In ex. ALE
RIC VI Alexandria 18a

Alexandria_18b_3.jpg.601b2dce3677d43177da14511f5c2790.jpg

Maximianus
A.D. 295- 296
24x25mm      9.6g
IMP C M A MAXIMIANVS P F AVG; laureate head right.
GENIO POPVLI ROMANI; Genius standing left, modius on head, naked except for chlamys over left shoulder, holding patera and cornucopiae, eagle at feet to left; A in right.
In ex. ALE  
RIC VI Alexandria 18b

Alexandria_21a.jpg.84f4be70f786078b95062afd26811e59.jpg

Constantius I
A.D. 295- 296
26mm    11.7gm
FL VAL CONSTANTIVS NOB CAES, laureate head right.
GENIO POPVLI ROMANI, Genius standing left, modius on head, naked except for chlamys over left shoulder, holding patera and cornucopiae, eagle at feet to left; B in right.
In ex. ALE   
RIC VI Alexandria 21a 

Alexandria_21b.jpg.1f97a607777d0fde1e238d425e79bcea.jpg

Galerius
A.D. 295-296
26mm      8.6g
GAL VAL MAXIMIANVS NOB CAES; laureate head right.
GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI; Genius standing left, modius on head, naked except for chlamys over left shoulder, holding patera and cornucopiae, eagle at feet to left; B in right.
In ex. ALE  
RIC VI Alexandria 21b

• Like 8
  • Gasp 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

• 3 months later...

I am somewhat late to seeing this thread. Some fantastic coins. I only stumbled upon the thread after searching to see if there was a relevant thread for a new acquisition.

Just a Diocletian.... but it's a start....

Diocletian Follis

Obv:– IMP C DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG, Laureate bust right
Rev:– GENIO POPVLI ROMANI, Genius standing left, modius on head, naked but for chlamys over left shoulder, holding patera and cornucopiae; eagle at feet
Minted in Alexandria (_ | A //ALE). c. A.D. 295 - 296
Reference(s) – RIC VI Alexandria 18a (Rated C)

Struck under Domitius Domitianus

9.48 gms, 26.46 mm. 0 degrees

RI_141dc_img.JPG

• Like 7