Woe unto me! A tooled sestertius!

robinjojo

To continue my "Monday morning quarterback" analysis. After comparing the coin versus ACsearch examples. Trajan's beard looks like someone carved a bunch of horizontal and vertical lines, in a cross hatch pattern, onto his face. And his mouth looks very wrong. His mouth is slightly open, which seems wrong, and it looks like his mouth is rotting, like a zombie.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's around 3 to 5'oclock.

There's also those rosy patches in the fields and elsewhere, which also seem to go along with worked-over coins.

However, I myself am the owner of an ugly Decius double sestertius.  I'm not quite sure if the damage came from removing encrustations or straight tooling.  I've shown it before. I regret buying it, but it was about the only way I was going to get a Decius double sestertius.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Yeah, it's around 3 to 5'oclock.

There's also those rosy patches in the fields and elsewhere, which also seem to go along with worked-over coins.

However, I myself am the owner of an ugly Decius double sestertius.  I'm not quite sure if the damage came from removing encrustations or straight tooling.  I've shown it before. I regret buying it, but it was about the only way I was going to get a Decius double sestertius.

Now you gotta show it lol

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

decius84.jpg.c09f9fb6f6a4e9f1d9f91379e6d50099.jpg

There obviously was something going on with corrosion.  I Think the weird eye is from the stuff being dug out.  The fields are also suspiciously corrosion-free on the obverse.

I think it’s more of a case of smoothing and less of strict tooling, though there are some who argue they’re the same.

IMO smoothing is less criminal than tooling, as it doesn’t really add or subtract true details to the coin

• Like 2