Siliqua of Theodosius, Never received my purchase. - Does this happen to others??

Topcat7

From an eBay auction, I recently purchased a Siliqua of Theodosius; - sellers description

Siliqua, Trier, 378-83 Theodo-sivs. Pearl diademed. draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev. virtvs ro-manorvm, roma enthroned, holding globe and spear.  1.59g. bought at Auctions in UK

The seller started the bidding at US$80 which I agreed to open the bidding at. There were no further bids and I won the auction. I paid for my purchase (including the freight), and the seller marked it as 'sent' (but did not provide a 'Tracking Number').

Needless to say it never arrived and the seller wouldn't answer emails so I claimed through eBay who promptly (within 24 hours) refunded my payment in full.

The seller gccollective-trade has some reasonably high priced coins and I can only surmise that the bidding didn't go high enough for him to let the coin go.

Have others had a similar experience?

Magical Snap - 2023.08.22 13.28 - 161.jpg

Magical Snap - 2023.08.22 13.29 - 162.jpg

• Like 2
  • Gasp 1
  • Cry 1
  • Shock 2
  • Confused 1

I had the same thing happen on ebay.

Seller had a no reserve bid on a elephant headress Alexander/ptolemy AE, worn, couldn't make it out exactly, I won the bid. Never sent, never answered emails, ebay refunded. I assumed same thing, he didn't like the outcome and just ignored my win.

Still sour over it lol.

• Like 4
  • Cry 1

• Benefactor

It could be held up in the mail, @Topcat7

I had a coin show up seven months after I ordered it. It was a total surprise because I’d almost forgotten about it.

The reason I didn’t ask for a refund is because I thought I could have been at fault and misplaced it when it came in.

International mail carriers can be very frustrating to work with.

Edited by LONGINUS
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, LONGINUS said:

It could be held up in the mail, @Topcat7

International mail carriers can be very frustrating to work with.

I accept that, and I did leave complaining until a long time after the longest anticipated delivery date had passed because of mail 'difficulties'.

In this case it was a 'local' seller, (not International).

• Like 1

My oddest case of a reneged sale was years ago when a french seller agreed to take a coin off eBay and sell it to me for a fixed amount. I duly sent 150 EUR cash by registered mail, and waited, and waited ... I don't recall whether I tried contacting the seller or not, but eventually my registered letter was returned by the post office, cash intact, with the reason given as being refusal to accept the letter by the (intended) recipient ! A couple of attempts to contact the seller to find out what happened were met with silence. Presumably they got a better offer.