Eucratides I Megas AR Tetradrachm

Cordoba

won this at the latest Roma auction, was quite pleased with the reverse. always wanted a bactrian tetradrachm because their designs are so intricate. eventually i want the type where eucratides has a hat, but they're a bit pricey lol.

Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust to right / The Dioskouroi on horses prancing to right, each holding spear and palm; BΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ above, ΕΥΚΡΑΤΙΔΟΥ below, monogram in lower right field. Bopearachchi 1D; Mitchiner 168a; SNG ANS 432; HGC 12, 130. 16.82g, 33mm, 12h.

18969_15.59_1.jpg.9c8b8a957b9d889107283bd55b7908df.jpg

Edited by Cordoba
  • Like 15
  • Smile 1
  • Gasp 1

21 minutes ago, Cordoba said:

won this at the latest Roma auction, was quite pleased with the reverse. always wanted a bactrian tetradrachm because their designs are so intricate. eventually i want the type where eucratides has a hat, but they're a bit pricey lol.

Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust to right / The Dioskouroi on horses prancing to right, each holding spear and palm; BΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ above, ΕΥΚΡΑΤΙΔΟΥ below, monogram in lower right field. Bopearachchi 1D; Mitchiner 168a; SNG ANS 432; HGC 12, 130. 16.82g, 33mm, 12h.

18969_15.59_1.jpg.9c8b8a957b9d889107283bd55b7908df.jpg

Love it, waiting on my Heliokles to arrive 

• Like 2

Tetradrachm of Eukratides Megas Baktra? 170-145 BC Obv. Bust right right diademed and draped wearing Boiotian helmet decorated with bull horns Rv Dioskouroi on horseback charging right  with couched spears. HGC 131  16.93 grms 31 mm Photo by W Hansen

baktria14.jpeg.4f88f4f8abaf9c03fd84401371e8e365.jpeg

The history of the Baktrian Kingdom is not well understood though some of the coins minted while this kingdom was flourishing are some of the most impressive ever struck. While I would not consider this coin to be brilliant artistically the composition is extremely competent. The image of the king has a strong chin firm mouth large fleshy cheek, large nose and a piercing eye surmounted by a strong upper orbital ridge. Though the image appears to have been  hastily done, the image still has a sense of strength which is rather compelling. 

• Like 12
  • Smile 1

There once was a guy called Lloyd Taylor who used to have a gallery on Forum Ancient Coins of the most fab collection of Bactrian dynastic coins. They haven't been here for some time. Pity. The quality and artistry of the coins of the early Bactrian culture is 1st rate. The little we know of them in actualite is a great big detective mystery. Frank Holt is an expert.

• Benefactor

Nice coin, Cordoba!!  I've noticed a small group of these coins appearing on Roma's recent auctions.  That presents a good opportunity to acquire one at a reasonable price, if one bids smartly.

This is a coin that I've owned for over twenty years, from Harlan Berk, and my go-to for Eukratides:

Bactria, Eukratides I, AR tetradrachm, 171-135 BC.

17.0 grams

962278182_D-CameraBactriaEukratidesItetradrachm171-135BC17.0Berk2-7-21.jpg.5033350c3acc1f2936e92712094583a2.jpg

Here's one more coin, on the lower end of the spectrum of preservation.  This coin was an unsold one in a past Roma auction, no doubt due to the rough surfaces due to horn silver, corrosion, and some over-eager cleaning.  That said, it is a rare coin, one that commands thousands of dollars in high grade.  Overall, the strike is good, and the cleaning should tone down over the years.

Greco-Baktrian Kingdom, Antimachos I Theos AR Tetradrachm. Circa 180-170 BC. Diademed and draped bust to right, wearing kausia / Poseidon, laureate, standing facing, holding trident and filleted palm; BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΘEOY and monogram to inner right, ANTIMAXOY to left. Bopearachchi 1D; Mitchiner 124b; SNG ANS 276-7; HGC 12, 345. 16.06g, 35mm, 12h.

From the Professor Shir Mohammad Collection.

1472156754_D-CameraBactriaAntimachosITheosARTetradrachm.C.180-170BCMitchiner124b16.06gRoma945216-24-22.jpg.726140fe75bb3b462b1ec86b03a814b9.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 9

Tetradrachm of Euthydemos I Balkh? 210/208-206 BC Obv Head right diademed Rv Herakles seated on a rock outcropping  left holding club before him. HGC 40 Bopearachchi Series 5 16.58 grms 28 mm Photo by W. Hansenbaktria11.jpg.d7f80df5bdb2aae420a1846aaf6c1e0b.jpg

This tetradrachm has a far more nuanced image than the one I had featured previously and does give a hint to the technical brilliance of some of the Baktrian artists. In this image we see the portrait of the king as a slightly more affable individual than the one I posted before. The double chin and the soft rounded features gives the impression of soft easy going person that is until you look at the eye. He has the hard expressionless eyes of a killer. He is a man not to be taken lightly.    

Edited by kapphnwn
  • Like 7
  • Mind blown 1

Good to see the coin smuggling still carries on. I wonder if the coins are also found in Pakistan and other neighbouring places?

I'm as much interested in the mechanics of discovery, journeys through borders and auctions/shops  to my coin collection. The Gaziantep Hoard is a good example of how things get smuggled in and can be sort of reconstructed scientifically/  Meadows, on academia.edu "The Gaziantep Hoard"

NSK= John

• Like 1

• Cordoba changed the title to Eucratides I Megas AR Tetradrachm