Where’s TIF?

ValiantKnight

I couldn’t help but think a bit about what @TIF is up to nowadays. Only 4 posts total on Numisforums but last seen last Friday, which makes me think she mostly just lurks (like me). I know she’s had a difficult last few years with the hurricanes and moving back to Texas, and I think even before we moved to NF she had to cut back on her participation on Cointalk because of the aforementioned issues. I wonder if she is doing okay and also if she is still collecting coins. 

Edited by ValiantKnight
  • Like 5

Hi VK, and thanks for thinking of me!  

I keep up with a few folks by PM but just haven't had time to browse the board like I did in the "good ol' days".    I'm busy from long before dawn until I fall into bed... taking car of my mom, her dog, trying to build a house... coins have by necessity taken a back seat.  I am still collecting but haven't added much in the last year or two, but I have picked up a few fabulous provincials that deserve some limelight if I ever get the time.  

Hopefully once the house is done and we're settled (first part of next year?) I can get back to coins.  Planning a nice study in the new house were I can leisurely (ha!) look at coin books and get back into the social aspect of collection :).

Hope all's well with you and all the old (and new!) gang.

• Like 25
  • Big Smile 3
  • Clap 2
  • Heart Eyes 5

Just read through your website @TIF and what a pleasant experience it was. Your story of beginning collecting (infection) was a delightful piece of prose. A fantastic collection you have accumulated so far and, I personally, look forward to your future presence here and sharing your delight with seeing more coins from you.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, TIF said:

Hi VK, and thanks for thinking of me!  

I keep up with a few folks by PM but just haven't had time to browse the board like I did in the "good ol' days".    I'm busy from long before dawn until I fall into bed... taking car of my mom, her dog, trying to build a house... coins have by necessity taken a back seat.  I am still collecting but haven't added much in the last year or two, but I have picked up a few fabulous provincials that deserve some limelight if I ever get the time.  

Hopefully once the house is done and we're settled (first part of next year?) I can get back to coins.  Planning a nice study in the new house were I can leisurely (ha!) look at coin books and get back into the social aspect of collection :).

Hope all's well with you and all the old (and new!) gang.

It's really good to see you!!!

• Like 2

• Benefactor

Great to see you stop by, @TIF. I've been hoping that you'll be able to participate here again at some point. I miss your posts, and miss all those wonderful coins of yours, perhaps especially your Roman Alexandrians. Not to mention your animations -- who can forget the Agathodaemon riding a horse? 

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Great to see you stop by, @TIF. I've been hoping that you'll be able to participate here again at some point. I miss your posts, and miss all those wonderful coins of yours, perhaps especially your Roman Alexandrians. Not to mention your animations -- who can forget the Agathodaemon riding a horse? 

…and of course for coining the phrase “snake cowboy”.I knew I had to find one of those…and I did! It is one of my favourite coins from my collection.

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

I was thinking of @TIF  just the other day, myself. I have a coin coming in that shares an obverse of another coin that I have, that if I remembered correctly, she has. Made me miss all of her awesome posts. 
Glad all is going as well as can be expected with all you have to do. 
Take care and I (we) look forward to seeing you around the forums when time permits!

• Like 4

Wow, I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy now.  Thanks, everyone 🥰.

4 hours ago, Orfew said:

…and of course for coining the phrase “snake cowboy”.I knew I had to find one of those…and I did! It is one of my favourite coins from my collection.

Actually, @Severus Alexander first called it that and I just ran with it 😄.

1 hour ago, Furryfrog02 said:

I was thinking of @TIF  just the other day, myself. I have a coin coming in that shares an obverse of another coin that I have, that if I remembered correctly, she has.

I've lost track-- which coin is that?  I should remember because I get a kick out of that sort of thing... 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TIF said:

Wow, I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy now.  Thanks, everyone 🥰.

Actually, @Severus Alexander first called it that and I just ran with it 😄.

I've lost track-- which coin is that?  I should remember because I get a kick out of that sort of thing... 

I will post it when I get home from work. An Elagabalus from Nicopolis-ad-Istrum I believe. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Furryfrog02 said:

@TIF If I'm not mistaken, this is the coin that we share an obverse die match with together:

ElagabalusAE24MoesiaInferiorNicopolisadIstrumNike.png.c06cb3bc1bdd3924809e9c7af45a2d62.png

Yep!  I remember now.  Didn't we find a few other people who had the same obverse? Here's mine-- old photo.

spacer.png
MOESIA INFERIOR. Nicopolis ad Istrum.  Elagabalus (218-222) AE. 26 mm, 11.1 gm Obv: AYT K M AYP ANTΩNEINOC. Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev: VΠ NOBIOV POVΦOV NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠPOC ICTPON. River-god reclining right, holding branch; prow at side. Varbanov 4055. ex Falter Collection, Nature Gods 

We noted at least 5 or 6 different reverses for this one obverse die.

One of the many coins acquired but not yet shown includes an interesting twist on the shared die phenomenon-- coins struck in different cities but with a common obverse die!  There are some interesting articles about it, including a very ambitious map showing the linkages.  I was digging into that aspect of provincial coins for a writeup of a very cool coin but got so bogged down that I never finished and never posted it.  There were just so many interesting things about the coin that I couldn't bring it together into a coherent writeup, and then life intervened.   

Hopefully I'll get back to it at some point.

• Like 13