New Podcast Episode: Current State of the Ancient Coin Market, Records Broken, and High Prices

TheTrachyEnjoyer

• Benefactor

I second that the Nomos fractional auction was crazy. I wound up bidding on five coins. On all of them I was destroyed.

So, I struck out, but I've had more success lately with other auctions. I won two out of four at CNG and four out of four at Aphrodite.

In the case of Nomos, I'm honestly rather bitter about it, but not for the reasons you may think. With these prices, I'm sorry, but the buyer is a moron with too much money on his hands. I strongly suspect he doesn't know the faintest thing about ancient coins and they aren't headed to a place where they'll be studied and appreciated. From your podcast, you think that one buyer picked up roughly 70% of the lots and I wonder if someone else figured that out and just gamed him by bidding up most of the coins - knowing he'd just keep going.

I fear that someone with such little regard isn't going to care for these coins and they may be soon lost to humanity.

Edited by kirispupis
  • Like 3

@TheTrachyEnjoyer I don't know if I'm the only one, but I had a hard time hearing the human voices in this podcast. I cranked my computer's sound volume all the way up, and the Youtube sound volume all the way up, and even then, I wasn't able to hear it very well. On the other hand, the initial music seemed to be loud enough. Other episodes of the podcast, seem to be loud enough.

Edited by sand
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, kirispupis said:

one buyer picked up roughly 70% of the lots

I watched about 100 lots in the auction to bid on. One buyer did pick up 70% of the lots, and many of the outstanding hammers were his.

There was a floor bidder who had good taste who won some coins at jaw dropping prices, and may have bid him up on some, but that person didn't seem to care. He also bought several coins the next day at Nomos 27 which seemed to line up with the coins that Berk had highlighted in his podcast.

• Like 2
  • Cool Think 1
  • Shock 1

37 minutes ago, sand said:

@TheTrachyEnjoyer I don't know if I'm the only one, but I had a hard time hearing the human voices in this podcast. I cranked my computer's sound volume all the way up, and the Youtube sound volume all the way up, and even then I wasn't able to hear it very well. On the other hand, the initial music seemed to be loud enough. Other episodes of the podcast, seem to be loud enough.

Thanks. I had a new mic and attempted to play with the audio…without success, apparently. Next episode it should be fixed. Hopefully this one is still listenable to. Let me know if not and I can reupload with boosted audio 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TheTrachyEnjoyer said:

Thanks. I had a new mic and attempted to play with the audio…without success, apparently. Next episode it should be fixed. Hopefully this one is still listenable to. Let me know if not and I can reupload with boosted audio 

Thanks. If I crank the sound volume all the way up on my computer, and if I crank the Youtube sound volume all the way up, then I can hear most of it, but some of it I can't hear very well. Perhaps other persons will provide feedback. Do you notice the reduced volume, yourself, when you listen to it? I will admit, that my hearing is worse than average.

Edited by sand
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kirispupis said:

I strongly suspect he doesn't know the faintest thing about ancient coins and they aren't headed to a place where they'll be studied and appreciated

This is highly likely correct. There were several coins he picked up at 100% premiums to coins of the same quality (high) sold the previous few weeks. One example is the Leontini piece (I think it was the litra) where he paid twice the level of a few days before which itself was a high price AND at NAC. So it’s not like he missed out on some obscure auction in northwestern Saskatchewan.

He was also the winner of the $5m gold Sheik coin. The bidding history on that was “good”, where he’d jump increments.

There was no selection going on by him. Just a hose of money pouring out.

Re the 70% apparently he wanted all of them. And said so. 

I fear and strongly suspect we will we plenty more of him.

• Gasp 1
  • Mind blown 1

@TheTrachyEnjoyer By the way, on my living room TV, Episode 17 is watchable. On my living room TV, which is a 55 inch LG TV which I bought in 2013, I usually watch Youtube videos with the sound volume at 9 or so (for example, for your Episode 16). My living room TV sound volume goes up to 100. With your Episode 17, I just increased my living room TV sound volume to 17 or so, and it was just fine. But on my computer, even though the sound comes from my monitor, which is a 40 inch Samsung TV which I bought in 2010, the sound volume for the voices for Episode 17 is too low for me.

Anyway, I watched Episode 17 on my living room TV. It was interesting. My favorite of the gold Pan coins, is the CNG example, at 29:19 in the Episode 17 video, which hammered for $160,000. I especially like the reverse. I like it even better than the $5,000,000 Nomos 3/4 facing example. The Constantine XI stavraton discussion was interesting. The discussion of the Roma gold Eid Mar was interesting. It seems like, the Roma gold Eid Mar controversy, has caused provenance to become an even bigger factor, for the high end ancient coin market.

Edited by sand
  • Like 2

@TheTrachyEnjoyer Here's another thing I just noticed. It may be particular to my computer monitor setup. My computer monitor is a 40 inch TV. My computer keyboard has buttons, to increase the sound volume on my monitor. If I use the keyboard buttons to increase the sound volume, which is what I usually do, then the sound volume in Episode 17 is too low. But, if I use the TV remote, to increase the sound volume of my monitor to 70 or so (out of 100), then the sound volume of Episode 17 is fine. I had not realized, that I can use the monitor/TV remote, to increase the sound volume even higher, for my computer monitor. However, the voices sound volume becomes fine, but the music volume becomes too high.

• Like 1