Why the second -G in PIETAS AVGG?

Gavin Richardson

So I was looking through my coins and ran across this denarius of Julia Domna. I noticed two G's in the PIETAS AVGG reverse legend. Typically an additional letter pluralizes, so I read the legend as “Pietas Augustorum,” or “The Pietas of the Augusti.” But who are the Augusti? Septimius Severus and Julia Domna? Septimius Severus and one or both of his sons? To whom does this second -G refer?

The dating of reigns may be relevant but not dispositive in answering the question.

Septimius Severus                          193–198

—with Caracalla                             198–209

—with Caracalla and Geta          209–211

Caracalla and Geta                         211–211

Caracalla                                             211–217

image.png.7d0f9a254c96a31abbf3df713792d68d.png

• Like 6

My opinion...

Normally for the two Emperors, in this case Septimius Severus and Caracalla - you can read it here: 
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=AVGG 

But this is a denarius for Julia Donna - so I think you have to include the empress. This is also possible, as this example shows:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=PIETAS AVGG 

As in the example on the link, this can also refer to the imperial family. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Prieure de Sion said:

But this is a denarius for Julia Donna - so I think you have to include the empress. This is also possible, as this example shows:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=PIETAS AVGG 

As in the example on the link, this can also refer to the imperial family. 

I think it might be the empress. Otherwise, where is AVGGG for Geta on Geta's coins?

Similarly, why is there AVGG for Julia Paula and Sabinia Tranquillina?

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 2

As Jean Claude explained before, this reverse is dated 204, at the time of the celebration of the Secular Games. The reverse exalts the piety of the augusts: Septimius Severus and Caracalla. However, this type being present on a coin in the name of Julia Domna, it is necessary to give to “AVGG” a more general meaning and translate this reverse legend by 'The piety of the imperial family'.

• Like 4

Interesting post - I had no idea Juila Domna issued an AVGG reverse.  

This gives me an excuse to post a Gordian III antoninianus with an AVGG reverse I just got.  AVGG - how can that be?  Gordian never had AVGG reverse.  It is because the coin is a hybrid/imtation of some sort.  This reverse is found on later Trebonianus Gallus, Volusian, Valerian, etc. ants, not Gordian:

GordianIII-Ant.PAXAVGGunlistedApr2023(0a).jpg.87b0016e8f0a98fe1ffdfd2d23978512.jpg

Gordian III  Antoninianus (c. 251 A.D.) Unofficial imitation/hybrid IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right / PAX AVGG, Pax standing left holding branch and transverse sceptre.  Unlisted hybrid/mule. See note. (3.75 grams / 22 x 20 mm) eBay April 2023  

Note:  PAX AVGG reverse type not used for Gordian III; but see Gallus, Volusian & Valerian. Other examples of this hybrid:

Dr. Reinhard Fischer Auction 158; Lot 401; 15.09.2017 "hybride Prägung"

Portable Antiquities Scheme Unique ID: BM-F0CF74 "As Mint of Rome. cf. RIC 55 (Trebonianus Gallus) and 133 (Volusian) for reverse type."

I like the slightly "off" portrait, and the fact I found a couple of others online, including one from the UK's Portable Antiquities Scheme (as noted above). 

Below is a Gallienus with the same reverse type, additional G in AVGG referring to his father Valerian:

Gallienus-MilanorViminPAXApr2023(0aa).jpg.4f4c75c6423877940b1779cdf7dba87e.jpg

Gallienus  Antoninianus (253-257 A.D.) Viminacium Mint (2nd emiss.) IMP GALLIENVS P AVG, radiate, draped (& cuirassed?) bust right / PA[X] AVGG, Pax standing left, holding branch and sceptre. RIC V Gallienus (joint r.) 391c; Göbl MIR 815o (draped?) (3.25 grams / 23 x 18 mm) eBay April 2023

Note: OCRE says Mediolanum; draped & cuirassed, 257 A.D. GALLIENVS ANTONINIANII by Frank Reinhardt says Viminacium, 2nd emission, 253-257 A.D.  The bust here described as draped only, (Bust: Vim 01, PCh2). Reverse Die-Matches: 2 examples in Reinhardt MIR 815o (draped obverse) MIR 815n (cuirassed obv.)

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Marsyas Mike said:

This gives me an excuse to post a Gordian III antoninianus with an AVGG reverse I just got.  AVGG - how can that be?  Gordian never had AVGG reverse.  It is because the coin is a hybrid/imtation of some sort. 

And his wife, Tranquillina, did have AVGG, although not with Pax. It's clear the empresses often had AVGG.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

And his wife, Tranquillina, did have AVGG, although not with Pax. It's clear the empresses often had AVGG.

Thanks for pointing this out - I didn't know that!  Since I don't have any Imperial coins of Tranquillina (only a couple Provincials) I'd never paid close enough attention.  From Wildwinds:

TranquillinafromWildwinds.jpg.e6777a7a8ec45c5c69f6e4d5f16d7790.jpg

https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/tranquillina/i.html

• Like 3

We do have AVGGG too for coins in the UK produced under Carausius in the names of Diocletian and Maximianus to strengthen the claims of Carausius as joint Augustus.

Antoninianus
Obv:– IMP C DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
Rev:– PAX AVGGG, Pax standing left holding olive branch and transverse sceptre
Minted in London under Carausius (S-P//MLXXI).
Reference(s) – RIC London 9

Weight 3.63g. 21.38mm. 180 degrees

RI_141cz_img.JPG

• Like 5
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor
On 5/24/2023 at 3:46 PM, Marsyas Mike said:

This gives me an excuse to post a Gordian III antoninianus with an AVGG reverse I just got.  AVGG - how can that be?  Gordian never had AVGG reverse.  It is because the coin is a hybrid/imtation of some sort.  This reverse is found on later Trebonianus Gallus, Volusian, Valerian, etc. ants, not Gordian:

GordianIII-Ant.PAXAVGGunlistedApr2023(0a).jpg.87b0016e8f0a98fe1ffdfd2d23978512.jpg

Gordian III  Antoninianus (c. 251 A.D.) Unofficial imitation/hybrid IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right / PAX AVGG, Pax standing left holding branch and transverse sceptre.  Unlisted hybrid/mule. See note. (3.75 grams / 22 x 20 mm) eBay April 2023  

Note:  PAX AVGG reverse type not used for Gordian III; but see Gallus, Volusian & Valerian. Other examples of this hybrid:

Dr. Reinhard Fischer Auction 158; Lot 401; 15.09.2017 "hybride Prägung"

Portable Antiquities Scheme Unique ID: BM-F0CF74 "As Mint of Rome. cf. RIC 55 (Trebonianus Gallus) and 133 (Volusian) for reverse type."

I like the slightly "off" portrait, and the fact I found a couple of others online, including one from the UK's Portable Antiquities Scheme (as noted above). 

Below is a Gallienus with the same reverse type, additional G in AVGG referring to his father Valerian:

Gallienus-MilanorViminPAXApr2023(0aa).jpg.4f4c75c6423877940b1779cdf7dba87e.jpg

Gallienus  Antoninianus (253-257 A.D.) Viminacium Mint (2nd emiss.) IMP GALLIENVS P AVG, radiate, draped (& cuirassed?) bust right / PA[X] AVGG, Pax standing left, holding branch and sceptre. RIC V Gallienus (joint r.) 391c; Göbl MIR 815o (draped?) (3.25 grams / 23 x 18 mm) eBay April 2023

Note: OCRE says Mediolanum; draped & cuirassed, 257 A.D. GALLIENVS ANTONINIANII by Frank Reinhardt says Viminacium, 2nd emission, 253-257 A.D.  The bust here described as draped only, (Bust: Vim 01, PCh2). Reverse Die-Matches: 2 examples in Reinhardt MIR 815o (draped obverse) MIR 815n (cuirassed obv.)

Clearly this Gallienus coin features a bust of Valerian. Quite odd. The only explanation I can think of is that the celator used a bust of Valerian to engrave the die mistakenly...

Edited by Ancient Coin Hunter
  • Like 1