Fishy is this Ostrogoth coin real?

32 minutes ago, hotwheelsearl said:

A rule of thumb I’ve learned is that, if you have to crowdsource an opinion on authenticity, it’s probably not worth your time to begin with.

I would’ve thought so too, although it has worked for me. It definitely helps you learn when you know nothing about a type and Ostrogothic is tricky.

• Yes 1

1 hour ago, hotwheelsearl said:

A rule of thumb I’ve learned is that, if you have to crowdsource an opinion on authenticity, it’s probably not worth your time to begin with.

I disagree. Despite it being good practice to familiarize yourself with forgeries of coins that you collect/want to collect, it never hurts to ask others what they think. Not all forgeries are tourist fakes that are easily disregarded. For example, if you had handed me the coin below I would probably not  have questioned it's authenticity in the slightest. However, after sharing it with friends it became apparent that it was a transfer die forgery. This particular forgery is absolutely rampant and has been offered by most of the bigger firms at some point. 

image.png.86034b397ce52eb2ced0b5e1c4f0e0c3.png

• Like 4

Yeah sometimes eBay is okay but sometimes fakes are sold. I got this silvered Maximinus II and bought it for dirt cheap knowing 99% it's fake. The wear is weird on the reverse. So I was iffy on it so no big loss and I can always return for free. Sometimes people sell fakes unknowingly.

CF9734C3-F2AA-4D6C-8A70-85084259EC16.jpeg

B21107DB-BA29-47F5-9A1B-174B228FD870.jpeg

• Like 2