Overweight denarius of Severus Alexander!

JayAg47

Just recieved my first coin of Severus Alexander, despite his coins being dime a dozen I've never gotten around getting one until now. Couple of reasons why I bought this coin, first it looks fantastic, in fact the best denarius in my collection condition-wise. Also the coin is an oddball weighing at 4.35g! being unusually heavy for the time period. Was this a quality control issue or did a planchet for antoninianus get mixed up?
sev.png.853b24e4d232bd1409147d6b080af5f8.png

225 AD, 19mm, 4.35 grams, unusually heavy for a third century denarius.
IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG, laureate and draped bust of Severus Alexander to right.
Reverse - FIDES MILITVM, Fides standing front, head to left, holding two military standards. BMC 220; Cohen 52; RIC 139.
Ex Incitatus Coins.

IMG-5638.jpg.2f7b6dbb0d33640c4fc9b80bc4504c4f.jpg

Please share your Severus Alexanders or any unusually over or underweight denarii.

• Like 9
  • Cool Think 2

Does Severus Alexander have any antoninianii? I thought Elagabalus phased it out and Severus Alexander didn't mint any? Still doesn't exclude a brain fart by the mint-worker who prepares the wrong type of flan that was only in circulation a few years earlier.

Edited by Steppenfool
got my dates mixed up
  • Like 3

The standard was to mint "x number of coins per pound," not "x number of coins at y grains each." Some of the coins will be heavier than average and some will be lighter than average. No mint error here, just a coin at the right-hand side of the denarius weight bell curve.

Here's a denarius of Severus Alexander from my numophylacium.

SeverusAlexanderANNONAAVGdenarius.jpg.4b3a76bfd9b82770790e70027b685540.jpg
IMP SEV ALEXANDER AVG, Caput Alexandri laureatum.
ANNONA AVG, Annona stans, dextra spicas super modium tenet, sinistra anchoram.

Edited by Roman Collector
Increasing the size of the previously bifocal-defying font
  • Like 11