Two more Roman additions

robinjojo

• Benefactor

A quiet day so far, so I took a couple of photos of recent purchases, nice coins for their mid-grade range, but no screaming rarities for sure.

Vespasian, tetradrachm, Antioch Seleucis Pieria. RY 4 (71/2 AD).

RPC II 1973; Prieur 137; SNG Copenhagen 169

14.91 grams

This is the fairly scarce left-facing bust variety, a one year type as I understand.  Most examples, including another that I own are crudely struck affairs.  The profiles seem to be in quite high relief, but they tend to be beset with softly struck, centering and metal quality issues.  This example has quite nice centering on both sides and an interesting die clash on the obverse.  Legends are mostly present.  This coin was cleaned and is retoning. 

D-CameraVespasianTetradrachmAntiochSeleucisPieriaRY4(71-72AD)RPCII1973Prieur137SNGCopenhagen16914.91grams4-25-23.jpg.d2a42636451c93db73214b3fc3dfa850.jpg

The other example that I have is probably more typical, in VG condition at 13.78 grams:

D-CameraVespasianTetradrachmFineConitionAntiochSeleucisPieriaRY4(71-72AD)RPCII197313.78grams4-25-23.jpg.107dfcbfb5bc49bd20ed97fe851bb457.jpg

The other coin is from my local coin shop.  I traded some Spanish cobs for this coin and an Athenian new style owl, which I posted earlier on another thread.

Julius Caesar was a popular or unpopular guy depending on your perspective, particularly if your name happened to be Brutus.  His coins are still very popular, with high grade examples running into the thousands.  This coin has no pretensions for such a lofty designation.  It is quite humble, probably falling within the fine-very fine range, and it has been brushed, as so many have unfortunately.  

This is a coin that was minted at a presumed traveling or military mint during his Gallic campaign. As soldiers' pay the quality of the strikes and dies vary considerably.  The priority was clearly to distribute the denarii out as quickly as possible.  Disgruntled troops can become unhappy campers of the ultimate sort!  

Julius Caesar, denarius,  circa 48 BC.

Crawford 452 2

3.76 grams

D-CameraJuliusCaesardenariuscirca48BCCrawford45223.76grams4-25-23.jpg.fb5b724ed78422c97d79d6c7c7dfcdbb.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 24
  • Clap 1
  • Cookie 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Limes said:

Great additions, congratulations! The tetradrachm appears to have a nice rainbow like toning indeed. 

Thanks!

Yes, the coin is acquiring nice color.  I think this is due in part to the cleaning, which must have distributed oxidation in areas on the coin across the entire surfaces.  Black deposits when subjected to cleaning can leave bluish residues, along with some more golden hues, essentially "instant" toning.  Over time the toning will darken, as the oxides react to oxygen and other airborne elements.  Who knows? Perhaps in another 2,000 years the coin will be basically black all over.

This coin has a great reverse.  I wish the obverse was just as nice, but this is probably the best I can get for this problematic issue without shoving over big bucks for a super example likely encased in plastic.

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 1