Faustina Friday – IVNONI REGINAE: for Juno the Queen

Roman Collector

Lookout-weekend GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Friday felicitations, fellow Faustina fanatics! I hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead. Today we're going to interrupt my recreation of Sulzer's collection to discuss some coins I discussed previously elsewhere early last year. Some new information has come to light that provides additional information about the date for the issue and I have acquired some new coins in the interim, and I felt it was worthwhile to update this essay in light of these things. I hope you find it worthwhile, too.

Those with more than a passing interest in the coinage of Faustina the Younger are doubtlessly familiar with coins issued for the empress that depict Juno, the sister and consort of Jupiter. She is the Roman equivalent of the Greek Hera.
Juno has many guises and epithets: Juno Moneta, Juno Lucina, Juno Caprotina, Juno Sospita, Juno Conservatrix, Juno Victrix, Juno Martialis, and so on. The epithet Regina means queen, and the dative case inscription is well translated as "for/to Juno the Queen."

As queen of the gods, Juno Regina is depicted either enthroned or standing, and invariably holds the
hasta pura, the scepter symbolizing her regal authority. In addition, she typically holds a patera and is frequently accompanied by her sacred bird, the peacock. Such is the case on the coins of Faustina II bearing the reverse inscription IVNONI REGINAE.[1] The IVNONI REGINAE coins depicting the goddess standing were issued in the denarius, sestertius, and middle bronze denominations. The coinage depicting the goddess enthroned was limited to the denarius denomination.

On the Juno standing issues, Faustina may wear her simple Beckmann Type 5 hairstyle or, more commonly, she may wear the
Type 7 hairstyle, with or without a stephane. Rarely, she wears the Type 8 coiffure. On the Juno enthroned issue, she may wear the Beckmann Type 7 hairstyle, with or without a stephane, or the Type 9 hairstyle.

Overall, the coins of Faustina with the IVNONI REGINAE reverse types are quite commonly encountered in hoards[2] and in the numismatic trade. The sheer number of these coins and the variety of bust types that appear on them suggests they were issued in large quantities over a period of at least two or three years. Dating them, however, is not straightforward, because no aurei depicting Juno Regina were issued for Faustina the Younger and they fall outside of the purview of Beckmann's die-linkage study of her aurei. Here are some coins in my collection illustrating the various varieties and denominations of this reverse type.

JUNO STANDING (issued in silver and bronze):

FaustinaJrIVNONIREGINAEstandingDenariusbareheaded.jpg.639e3e089f113d69775974ffcb0fbf69.jpg

Faustina II, 147-175 CE.
Roman AR denarius, 3.11 g, 17.1 mm, 11 h.
Rome, 162-164 CE.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust right (Beckmann type 5 hairstyle).
Rev: IVNONI REGINAE, Juno standing left, holding patera and scepter, peacock at feet.
Refs: RIC 694; BMCRE 118 n.; Cohen 141; RCV 5256; MIR 19-4/10a; CRE 194.

Notes: ex @Victor_Clark. Also known with a bare-headed bust and Beckmann type 8 hairstyle (ANS 1944.100.49232).

FaustinaJrIVNONIREGINAEstandingdenariusdoublebandofpearls.jpg.bc5b010442b9f9a960c02d4201bde07a.jpg

Faustina II, 147-175 CE.
Roman AR denarius, 3.22 g, 17.4 mm, 11 h.
Rome, 162-164 CE.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust right (Beckmann type 7 hairstyle).
Rev: IVNONI REGINAE, Juno standing left, holding patera and scepter, peacock at feet.
Refs: RIC 696; BMCRE 118-120.; RSC 139a; RCV 5256; MIR 19-4/10b; CRE 192.

FaustinaJrIVNONIREGINAEstandingdenariusstephane.jpg.9dc602adf5a131ed361dfd7060e889f0.jpg

Faustina II, 147-175 CE.
Roman AR denarius, 3.26 g, 17.1 mm, 11 h.
Rome, 162-164 CE.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust right, wearing stephane (Beckmann type 7 hairstyle).
Refs: RIC 695; BMCRE 121.; Cohen 140; RCV 5256 var.; MIR 19-4/10b diad.; CRE 193.
Notes: Double die match to Llíria Hoard
39725, Museu de Prehistòria de València.

FaustinaJrIVNONIREGINAESCstandingsestertius.jpg.8fad59a3d126079f40d14eb36066001b.jpg

Faustina II, 147-175 CE.
Roman Æ sestertius, 24.02 g, 29.5 mm, 11 h.
Rome, 162-164 CE.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust right (Beckmann type 7 hairstyle).
Rev: IVNONI REGINAE S C, Juno standing left, holding patera and scepter, peacock at feet.
Refs: RIC 1651; BMCRE 919-920; Cohen 142; RCV 5278; MIR 19-6/10b.

Notes: Ex Christian Blom.

FaustinaJrIVNONIREGINAESCstandingsestertiusstephane.jpg.8eea7aaf41fd0c22db54ca9a95ff8573.jpg

Faustina II, 147-175 CE.
Roman Æ sestertius, 22.02 g, 29.1 mm, 11 h.
Rome, 162-164 CE.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust right, wearing stephane (Beckmann type 7 hairstyle).
Rev: IVNONI REGINAE S C, Juno standing left, holding patera and scepter, peacock at feet.
Refs: RIC –; BMCRE 922-923; Cohen –; RCV –; MIR 19-6/10b diad.

FaustinaJrIVNONIREGINAESCstandingsestertiustype8hairstyle.jpg.2fde962e80ec722d079b33d3e8c41c9f.jpg

Faustina II, 147-175 CE.
Roman Æ sestertius, 26.73 g, 32.2 mm, 11 h.
Rome, 162-164 CE.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust right (Beckmann type 8 hairstyle).
Refs: RIC 1651; BMC 921; Cohen 142; RCV 5277; MIR 19-6/10a.
Notes: Obverse die match to BMCRE 921.

FaustinaJrIVNONIREGINAESCstandingMB.jpg.e8118d809f7beb0f453a7428a20f6c96.jpg

Faustina II, 147-175 CE.
Roman Æ as or dupondius, 11.89 g, 25 mm.
Rome, 162-164 CE.
Refs: RIC 1652; BMCRE 985-986; Cohen 143; RCV 5299; MIR 19-7/10b.
Notes: Also known with bare-headed bust and Beckmann hairstyle 8 (Münzkabinett des Martin von Wagner Museums - Julius Maximilians Universität, Würzburg, Ka
1463)[3] and with stephane (Bertolami Fine Arts E-Auction 59, lot 746, 20 April 2018).

JUNO SEATED (issued in the denarius denomination only):

FaustinaJrIVNONIREGINAEseateddenariusstephanedbust.jpg.57db63b46e5538e00426788b7c17045a.jpg

Faustina II, 147-175 CE.
Roman AR denarius, 3.10 g, 18.5 mm, 6 h.
Rome, c. 164 or 165 CE?
Rev: IVNONI REGINAE, Juno seated left, holding patera and scepter, peacock at feet.
Refs: RIC 698; BMCRE 122; Cohen 145; RCV 5257; MIR 20-4/10b diad.; CRE 186.
Notes: Also known with a bare-headed bust with the Beckmann Type 7 hairstyle (BMCRE
123; RSC 144a).

FaustinaJrIVNONIREGINAEseateddenariusbareheadtype9hairstyle.jpg.f4fd76d4d87d419f53d532e99f52fbf6.jpg

Faustina II, 147-175 CE.
Roman AR denarius, 3.32 g, 17.2 mm, 12 h.
Rome, c. 164 or 165 CE?
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust right (Beckmann type 9 hairstyle).
Rev: IVNONI REGINAE, Juno seated left, holding patera and scepter, peacock at feet.
Refs: RIC 697; BMCRE
124; RSC 144; RCV --; MIR 20-4/10b; CRE 185.
Notes: Also known with bare-headed bust and Beckmann hairstyle 7 (BMCRE
123; RSC 144a).

Dating the issues

I think we are on safe ground when assigning a relative chronology between the Juno standing version and the Juno seated version of the coin: the Juno standing version was issued earlier. The Juno standing version is not known with Beckmann Type 9 hairstyle, but is known with the earlier type 5 hairstyle, whereas the Juno seated version is not known with the earlier type 5 hairstyle but is known with the later type 9 hairstyle. Both the standing and seated versions commonly appear with the Beckmann type 7 hairstyle but only the standing version is known with the type 8 hairstyle (which was used only briefly and which is very uncommon). The type 7 and 8 hairstyles were used concurrently.[4] This overlap in portrait style suggests the Juno seated version followed quickly after the Juno standing version. The seated version appears only on the denarius version of the type and is less common than the standing version, suggesting it was in production for a shorter period.

Establishing an absolute chronology is more difficult. Although examples of the denarius with the type 5 hairstyle are known for the Juno standing version of the coin, they are rare.[5] The vast majority of specimens of the Juno standing version in any denomination depict the empress with the Beckmann type 7 hairstyle, whether bare-headed or wearing a stephane. The type 7 hairstyle first makes an appearance on the aurei of Faustina II well into the
SALVTI AVGVSTI sequence that first began following the birth of Commodus at the end of August, 161 CE and shortly before the appearance of the FECVNDITAS, LAETITIA and VENVS GENETRIX reverse types to commemorate the birth of Marcus Annius Verus in mid- to late 162.[6]

I recently became aware of a denarius of this issue with an obverse legend of the
"all round" style. NVMIS FORVMS member, @shanxi, informed me of the type and illustrated an example he had acquired for his collection. I naturally jumped at the chance to acquire a specimen of my own when one came up for auction earlier this month. This variety appears to be quite uncommon, based upon an internet database search. Here's mine.

FaustinaJrIVNONIREGINAEstandingDenariusallroundlegendNumismad.jpg.e1c9ebba3c00354cce86a27cc1c92e53.jpg

Denarius of Faustina the Younger’s IVNONI REGINAE issue with an all-round obverse legend and depicting the empress with a bare-headed, Beckmann Type 7 hairstyle.

This style of obverse legend was in use on coins of Faustina I from December 160 through at least the later months of 161 CE, because it still appears on the SALVTI AVGVSTAE aurei after the birth of Commodus and his twin brother at the end of August of that year. With only a few exceptions, Faustina's coins with the "all round" legends depict the empress with her type 5 hairstyle. In contrast, the denarii of the FECVNDITAS, LAETITIA and VENVS GENETRIX reverse types in gold and silver depict the empress in her type 7 hairstyle but do not have an all-round legend. As noted above, these were issued in the latter half of 162 CE.

The IVNONI REGINAE denarii with the all-round legend portray the empress in her Type 7 coiffure. The combination of obverse legend and hairstyle therefore pins down a date of issue sometime between the birth of the twins in late August 161 CE, when she adopted that hairstyle, and the birth of Marcus Annius Verus in mid- to late 162 CE, by which time the all-round legends had disappeared. The observation that the all-round legends are very rare indicates they could not have been issued for long before the all-round obverse legends disappeared from the empress's coinage by late 162 CE. This establishes with certainty a date of 162 CE for the beginning of the IVNONI REGINAE with Juno standing type.

The abundance of the issue suggests it was in production for at least a year or two. Therefore, I assign the issue a date of 162-164 CE. The use of a rare die to produce a denarius with the type 5 hairstyle does not demonstrate a date before 162, for earlier dies with anachronistic hairstyles were occasionally used alongside later dies with later hairstyles. Beckmann, for example, notes the reappearance of a type 5 portrait on a Laetitia reverse type issued in mid- to late 162 CE.[7]

As noted above, the IVNO REGINAE denarii with the Juno seated type likely appeared shortly after the Juno standing type. Szaivert assigns the issue to what he terms "Phase 3," dating to 165 CE or shortly thereafter,[8] but elsewhere, he suggests it may coincide with Lucilla's marriage to Lucius Verus in 164 CE.[9] This is consistent with Beckmann's dating of the type 9 hairstyle, which appears at the very end of his die-linkage chain 7.[10] Because the Juno seated version of the coin typically has the type 7 hairstyle, but is known with the type 9 hairstyle, a date of 164 or 165 CE seems reasonable and also in accordance with Szaivert’s dating of the issue.

The purpose of the issue

The issue does not appear to have been issued to commemorate any specific event in the life of Faustina the Younger; rather, it appears to be what is termed an allegorical type. As with the Juno Regina issues of her mother,[11] the Juno Regina issues of Faustina the Younger imply that the empress is queen on earth, just as Juno is queen of the gods.[12]

Let's see your coins of Juno Regina, Faustina Jr, or whatever you feel is relevant!

~~~

Notes

1. The middle bronze purportedly bearing the inscription IVNO REGINA cited by Cohen (no. 130) is doubtful and a comprehensive search of internet databases is unable to confirm its existence. Paul Dinsdale notes the coin is "probably a worn or damaged specimen of IVNONI REGINAE." Dinsdale, Paul H. The Imperial Coinage of the Middle Antonines: Marcus Aurelius with Lucius Verus and Commodus. Leeds, Paul H Dinsdale, 2020, p. 67 n. 10.

2. In the Reka Devnia hoard, Faustina's IVNONI REGINAE types (mostly the standing variety) were the second most represented denarius on Faustina's coinage under Marcus Aurelius (196 specimens), accounting for 15 percent of all denarii issued under Marcus Aurelius – not just for Faustina, but for Marcus Aurelius, Lucius Verus and Commodus put together. Beckmann, Martin, Faustina the Younger: Coinage, Portraits, and Public Image, A.N.S. Numismatic Studies 43, American Numismatic Society, New York, 2021, p. 117.

3. Szaivert (MIR) cites an unspecified coin from A.N.S. as an example of a bust with the Type 5 hairstyle – an error; all four specimens there show Beckmann’s hairstyle 7. Szaivert, Wolfgang, Die Münzprägung der Kaiser Marcus Aurelius, Lucius Verus und Commodus (161/192), Moneta Imperii Romani 18. Vienna, 1989, no. 19-7(a), p. 284.

4. Beckmann, Martin, Faustina the Younger: Coinage, Portraits, and Public Image, A.N.S. Numismatic Studies 43, American Numismatic Society, New York, 2021, p. 90.

5. Temeryazev and Makarenk assign it a rarity rating of R, corresponding to 25-49 specimens known. Temeryazev, S. A., and T. P. Makarenko. The Coinage of Roman Empresses. San Bernardino, CreateSpace, 2017, no. 194, p. 67.

6. Beckmann, op. cit., p. 60.

7. Ibid.

8. Szaivert, op. cit., p. 230. Szaivert notes that the end of phase 3 is currently uncertain and suggests a possible break in the issuing of coins for Faustina, perhaps of several years, between phases 3 and 4 (p. 231).

9. Ibid., p. 231. Specifically, Szaivert writes, "Die vielgestaltige Venus-Prägung erlaubt einen Bezug zur Hochzeit der Tochter der Faustina (Lucilla) mit dem regierenden zweiten Augustus Lucius Verus anzunehmen."

10. Beckmann, op. cit., p. 60.

11. Mattingly, Harold. Coins of the Roman Empire in the British Museum. Vol. III: Nerva to Hadrian, British Museum, 1966, p. lii.

12. Ibid., p. cxxxi.

Edited by Roman Collector
I forgot S C on the reverse inscriptions of the bronze issues
  • Like 14
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

52.jpg.0ca3c9998ea1756821d68f795c40723f.jpg

Faustina II, AD 147-169.
AE Sestertius, 24.0 g, 32.1 mm, 6 h.
Struck under Marcus Aurelius.
Rome mint, AD 161-176.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA; Faustina, draped bust to right, wearing double band of pearls.
Rev: IVNONI REGINAE S C; Juno standing facing, head to left, holding patera and sceptre; peacock at feet to left.
Ref: RIC III 1651, Sear RCV 5278.
Acquired from Roma Numismatics, E-Sale 80, Lot no. 1352, 4 February 2021.
From the Vitangelo Collection.

Photo from Roma Numismatics.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Zarco said:

52.jpg.0ca3c9998ea1756821d68f795c40723f.jpg

Faustina II, AD 147-169.
AE Sestertius, 24.0 g, 32.1 mm, 6 h.
Struck under Marcus Aurelius.
Rome mint, AD 161-176.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA; Faustina, draped bust to right, wearing double band of pearls.
Rev: IVNONI REGINAE S C; Juno standing facing, head to left, holding patera and sceptre; peacock at feet to left.
Ref: RIC III 1651, Sear RCV 5278.
Acquired from Roma Numismatics, E-Sale 80, Lot no. 1352, 4 February 2021.
From the Vitangelo Collection.

Photo from Roma Numismatics.

Thats-what-im-talkin-about GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1

Lovin' Faustina Friday, even on a Monday.  Thanks again, @Roman Collector

I have a couple of these IVNO REGINAE types, the ugliest, but most unusual is this one (with RC commentary from an earlier post) - RIC 1652 with Beckmann type 8 hairdo:

FaustinaII-AsIVNOREGlotMay2022(0).jpg.1ba5495273ae038da634ef45ffe7a496.jpg

Faustina II   Æ  As / Dupondius (c. 162-164 A.D.)  See Note Rome Mint FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust right wearing circlet of pearls (Type 8 hairstyle; see note) / [IVNO]NI REGINAE, S-C, Juno standing left, holding patera and sceptre, peacock at feet. RIC III Marcus Aurelius 1652. (10.48 grams / 23 x 22 mm) eBay May 2022   

"The lack of an all-round legend and the use of the type 7 hairstyle imply a date for the IVNONI REGINAE with Juno standing type of AD 162 at the earliest. The abundance of the issue suggests it was in production for at least a year or two. Therefore, I assign the issue a date of AD 162-164." Roman Collector on CT Jan. 2022 

Beckman Hairstyle Type 8: "I have identified a single specimen of a middle bronze with this hairstyle: Münzkabinett des Martin von Wagner Museums – Julius Maximilians Universität, Würzburg, Ka 1463" In regards to this one: "Wow!!! That is indeed the type 8 hairstyle! And apparently the second example of a middle bronze with that hairstyle!" (Roman Collector posts on Numis Forums, Sep. 30-Oct 1, 2022)

Here are a couple of the others: 

Sestertius, with Faustina undergoing an avacado skin-cleansing spa treatment:

FaustinaII-Sest.JunoReginaeJan2022(0).jpg.adeea07e14d47cc1ad92d18bd80b1df8.jpg

Denarius - Juno seated:

FaustinaII-Den.IVNONIREGlotJan2021(0a).jpg.6513b70308f9cebb59adf17d4ba1d753.jpg

Denarius - Juno standing: 

FaustinaII-Den.Junostd.Oct2015(0).jpg.f44f5a425bd06f5002141ae514aedb2f.jpg

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Marsyas Mike said:

"The lack of an all-round legend and the use of the type 7 hairstyle imply a date for the IVNONI REGINAE with Juno standing type of AD 162 at the earliest. The abundance of the issue suggests it was in production for at least a year or two. Therefore, I assign the issue a date of AD 162-164." Roman Collector on CT Jan. 2022

That was the state of things when I posted my original essay over at CT in January 2022. However, it's no longer true!!! As you can see in this weeks updated post, @shanxi told me of a coin he had just purchased for his collection, this denarius with an all-round legend.

https://content.invisioncic.com/k321387/monthly_2023_03/3845139_1677787906.jpg.ed4d40b14604cd8fc31f3a84c9514084.jpg

And not long after, I noticed this one up for auction and I had to get it for my collection.

FaustinaJrIVNONIREGINAEstandingDenariusallroundlegendNumismad.jpg.967d785fb3917c5367f1377594844a13.jpg

The existence of these two coins forced me to correct my previous essay, and wrote in this week's installment:

"This style of obverse legend was in use on coins of Faustina I from December 160 through at least the later months of 161 CE, because it still appears on the SALVTI AVGVSTAE aurei after the birth of Commodus and his twin brother at the end of August of that year. With only a few exceptions, Faustina's coins with the "all round" legends depict the empress with her type 5 hairstyle. In contrast, the denarii of the FECVNDITAS, LAETITIA and VENVS GENETRIX reverse types in gold and silver depict the empress in her type 7 hairstyle but do not have an all-round legend. As noted above, these were issued in the latter half of 162 CE.

The IVNONI REGINAE denarii with the all-round legend portray the empress in her Type 7 coiffure. The combination of obverse legend and hairstyle therefore pins down a date of issue sometime between the birth of the twins in late August 161 CE, when she adopted that hairstyle, and the birth of Marcus Annius Verus in mid- to late 162 CE, by which time the all-round legends had disappeared. The observation that the all-round legends are very rare indicates they could not have been issued for long before the all-round obverse legends disappeared from the empress's coinage by late 162 CE. This establishes with certainty a date of 162 CE for the beginning of the IVNONI REGINAE with Juno standing type."

So, you'll want to update your records, @Marsyas Mike. I'm still amazed that you found a middle bronze with the type 8 hairstyle! Fantastic! And, as always, thank you for your continued interest in Faustina Friday and for posting your Faustina coins. I just can't get enough!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I am almost a week slow getting to FF! Life gets busy. 😅

I have two examples of Faustina for the Juno Regina type and one with just Juno. I am fortunate enough to have obtained both the standing and seated Juno Regina.

Here are mine-

Faustina Junior, Juno [b]FAVSTINA AVGVSTA[/b] Draped bust right    [b]IVNONI REGINAE[/b] Juno standing left, holding patera and scepter; at her feet a peacock   AR Denarius;17 mm, 3.41g RIC 696, RSC 139a  Keywords: Faustina Juno

Faustina Junior, Juno FAVSTINA AVGVSTA draped bust right wearing stephane   IVNONI REGINAE Juno seated left, holding patera and sceptre; at her feet, peacock left, looking right  RIC 697  Keywords: Faustina Junior Juno

and because it is Juno, even though it is not a Juno Regina!

Faustina Junior, Juno Ar Denarius  FAVSTINA AVGVSTA draped bust right  IVNO Juno seated left holding patera and staff, peacock at her feet  RIC 689 Keywords: Faustina Junior Juno

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1