My selected Probus and Aurelian coins again on auction by Roma Numismatics on 13 April 2023

Barnaba6

Hello,

Another nice selection of my rare Probus and Aurelian coins will be hammered by Roma Numismatics Limited on 13 April 2023:

https://www.romanumismatics.com/e-sale-108/2023-04-13?catId=&cat_id=42&closedLots=0&currency=10&excl_keyword=&gridtype=listview&high_estimate=5000&ipp=10&keyword=&load_till_page=1&lots_per_page=100&low_estimate=15&page_no=1&search_lot_no=&sort_by=lot_number&view=bidders

The auction will also appear on sixbid, numisbids and biddr.ch websites.

Most of the coins offered are again in beautiful condition, with full or nearly full original silvering and superbly struck details. These are often some of the best or even the best known specimens of particular types.

Many of the coins offered are true rarities, known from only a few examples, and unpublished in reference catalogues like RIC, MPR or Alfodi.

You may have come across my last auction on 16 March 2023 (Roma Numismatics e-sale 107) or one of my 10 previous specialized Probus auctions organized by Rzeszowski Dom Aukcyjny and Gabinet Numizmatyczny Damian Marciniak auction houses over the last 2 years.

In November 2022 I have decided to change the selling venue from Poland to the UK and consign my coins to Roma Numismatics Limited. I am proud that my coins are offered under a separate section, devoted uniquely to my collection. 

I hope you participate actively in the auction and wish you all good luck and many successful bids!

spacer.png

Edited by Barnaba6
  • Like 13
  • Cool Think 1

9 hours ago, Restitutor said:

Wow 😍 do you accept out of auction offers? 😉 I have a feeling once again I’ll lose out on coins as the website tells me I’ve won only to then tell me I lose. But, we shall see! 

Hi, yes, I do accept direct offers on all my remaining coins which are not currently on auction. Have a look at my collection and let me know which coins you are interested in:

https://www.colleconline.com/en/collections/3268/barnaba6

I will give you my prices on the coins selected by you. All coins not marked as sold or reserved are available for sale.  

• Like 3

One important informtion for those who want to bid but may not be well versed in the current market prices of rare and/or beautiful Probus coins. The estimate prices given by Roma are significantly undervalued. It is Roma's sales strategy. In reality, most coins - if sold separately, not as part of a larger Probus selection - are easily worth double of the estaime prices and in some cases much, much more than that. Any coin that will go for the estimate price or - even more so - for the starting price, is a bargain for the potential buyer and a big loss to me as the seller. So don't rely on the estimate prices but do your research and check historic prices of silimilar / same specimens! I wish lots of luck to all bidders!

Edited by Barnaba6
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I will be interested in hearing how the EID MAR affair affected your sale.  I suspect there were a few people not patronizing him at the moment.  

I also would be interested in hearing where you might place the coin below.  I did not look at all your pages but did not see it.

rs2625bb2855.jpg.d550f0de45aae24bca6ab26bd2bb790c.jpg

I trust you saw the Aaron Berk mention of Probus on You Tube (conveniently just before the sale). 

• Like 6

Dear All,

Thank you to all bidders for their very active participation in yesterday's e-sale 108. The auction was a great success thanks to you! I am very happy with the results and hope my coins will be appreciated by their new owners!  It is a great joy and huge satisfaction for me to know that I am not the only one to truly appreciate my (ex) Probus coins:)     

Edited by Barnaba6
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, dougsmit said:

I will be interested in hearing how the EID MAR affair affected your sale.  I suspect there were a few people not patronizing him at the moment.  

I also would be interested in hearing where you might place the coin below.  I did not look at all your pages but did not see it.

trust you saw the Aaron Berk mention of Probus on You Tube (conveniently just before the sale). 

Hi @dougsmit

I suspect the EID MAR affair has affected my March sale (e-sale 107):

https://www.romanumismatics.com/e-sale-107/2023-03-16?catId=&cat_id=42&closedLots=0&currency=10&excl_keyword=&gridtype=listview&high_estimate=5000&ipp=10&keyword=&load_till_page=1&lots_per_page=100&low_estimate=20&page_no=1&search_lot_no=&sort_by=lot_number&view=bidders

The results of my March sale were not great (I guess the auction could have gone much worse under the circumstances but the results - on average - save for a few nice exceptions - were below my expectations). However, yesterday's auction was a great success so I do not think the above affair had in any way affected yesterday's sale. 

I have not seen the Aaron Berk video and was not aware of it. I have just had a look and now see that it might have helped my yesterday's sale and especially contributed to the final price of lot 1343:

https://www.romanumismatics.com/273-lot-1343-probus-bi-antoninianus?arr=0&auction_id=174&box_filter=0&cat_id=42&department_id=&exclude_keyword=&export_issue=0&gridtype=listview&high_estimate=5000&image_filter=0&keyword=&list_type=list_view&lots_per_page=100&low_estimate=15&month=&page_no=1&paper_filter=0&search_type=&sort_by=lot_number&view=lot_detail&year=     

This coin was mentioned and showed in Aaron's video (and I mean this coin exactly!). 

I guess after initial hesitations and concerns (which affected my sale in March), I think people have just realized that Roma Numismatics continues to operate as usual, regardless of the EID MAR affair, organizes new auctions, meets all their contractual obligations towards both buyers as well as consignors etc., so there are no major risks associated with bidding at their auctions.  

As per your coin, it was struck by the 4th unspecified eastern mint "discovered" by prof. Sylviane Estiot in her article " 'L’Empereur et l’usurpateur: un 4e atelier oriental sous Probus'; Studies in ancient coinage in honor of Anndrew Burnett, Spink, London, 2015".    I have (had) the same type from the same officina from the same 3rd emmission in my collection:

https://www.colleconline.com/en/items/181932/coins-antique-c-to-a-roman-republican-imperial-probus-3rd-emmission-off-5-sold

Edited by Barnaba6
  • Like 5

• Benefactor
11 hours ago, Barnaba6 said:

I will organize another auction or perhaps even two more auctions of my Probus coins this year so stay tuned:)

Some of those Probus coins in your collection were exceptional. I missed out this time but will certainly bid next time. I am looking for two upgrades, one a very high quality coin with the SOLI INVICTO quadriga and the other with an exceptional martial portrait. I have  a helmeted VIRTVS PROBI type but the quality is not there.

On 4/15/2023 at 8:26 PM, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

Some of those Probus coins in your collection were exceptional. I missed out this time but will certainly bid next time. I am looking for two upgrades, one a very high quality coin with the SOLI INVICTO quadriga and the other with an exceptional martial portrait. I have  a helmeted VIRTVS PROBI type but the quality is not there.

Great. I still have som very nice SOLI INVICTO types and military busts. I will let you know as soon as my next auction is online.   

• Like 1