Visigothic coins

Tejas

I repost this Tremissis in the name of Justin (518-527)

Obv.: DN IVSTINVS PP AVG

Rev.: VICTOP I VICTOSI  -  COMOB

Mint: Narbonne or Toledo (?)

Measurements:  1.44 gr, 15mm, 6h

I think the PP suggests that the prototype was a Byzantine coin rather than one from Ostrogothic Italy. 

The blundered reverse legend is quite interesting. I think the coin will have been minted during the reign of Amalaric (507 - 531) or perhaps Theudis (531-548).

Justin2.PNG

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 10

This Tremissis was minted in the name of Justinian (527 - 565)

Obv.: DNIVSTINIA NVS PP AVG

Rev.: YICTOR A VSSTT - COIIIz

Measurements: 1.46 gr, 15mm, 5h

The die engravers took a lot more care with the obverse inscription compared to the reverse inscription. I think this is a pattern that can be observed with many Visigothic coins of this period. Tomasini also noted that coins were likely minted during the reign of the emperor whose names appear on the coins, or until the news of a new emperor reached the Visigothic kingdom.

I think this coin was minted early in the reign of Justinian. Hence I would attribute it to Amalaric (507-531), or more likely Theudis (531-548).

Justinian1.PNG

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 10

The following Tremissis in the name of Justinian (527-565) belongs to a stylistically interesting development, where a very small head is sitting on a box like body.

Obv.: IIVSTINIA NI PP AVC

Rev.: VICTORIA A CV STORVA  - CONOB

Mint: Toledo (?)

Measurements: 1.36 gr, 15mm, 6h

Tomasini JI2 - JI3b (no. 213)

I think that these coins belong to the middle of the 6th century. They were probably minted under Theudis (531-548), Theudegisel (448-549) or Agila (549-554)

Justinian2.PNG

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Tejas said:

I think the PP suggests that the prototype was a Byzantine coin rather than one from Ostrogothic Italy. 

Hmm. I still think this is Theodoric’s issue in South France (as per the Barbaric Imitations thread).

PP was typical of Ostrogothic issues in Mediolanum and Ravenna.

image.png.c268a1ea51a603325f18560a75b53bb0.png

Mediolanum. Numismatik Lanz München. Auction 158. 05/06/2014

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Rand said:

Actually, please have a look at the first coin on the thread, posted by Tejas. Timewise, this would be far away from Leovigild, though.

Yes you're right, the shoulder is very similar, thank you. There seem to be a few like it on solidi from the earlier Visigoths/later Western Roman Empire (Honorius-Severus III), mostly from Ravenna, with different reverses https://www.coinarchives.com/a/results.php?search=solidus+ravenna&s=0&results=100

• Like 2

Here is another Tremissis in the name of Justinian (527-565)

Obv.: AVIVSTI iTTIAYII

Rev.: IIICTOY..TONAYI - ONOC

Mint: Toledo (?)

I think this coin was minted in the reign of Theudegisel (548-549), Agila (549-554) or Athanagild (554-568)

Justinian3.PNG

• Like 8
  • Cool Think 1

Nuremberg_chronicles_f_143r_3.jpg

Did I mention in this thread that a heart's desire of mine would be to ever own a coin of Amalaswintha? Had I already mentioned this. 
I am now doing like Cato! If I say "ceterum censeo... denarium Amalaswintha habere debet" over and over again - I'm sure it will happen eventually. 

Ok... I've been reading too much Felix Dahn. 🤪😂

But seriously. Very nice specimens you have there.

I would be happy to see more coins of the Visigoths, Ostrogoths and others from this very interesting era (from you). It was a time of radical change and historically extremely interesting. As written - I am happy about every coin you share with us.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

My only contribution. If I was rich I’d be going nuts collecting Migration Period and early medieval barbarian/Germanic coinage (and also all of the super rare late Roman rulers), but I’ll have to stick to the bronze and the occasional silver for now.

Sisebut, Visigothic Kingdom
AV tremissis
Obv: + SISEBVTVS REX, bust facing
Rev: + TOLETO PIVS, bust facing
Mint: Toledo
Date: 612-621 AD
Ref: Miles 183a

65F120B6-CFCB-44A4-800D-4CB7FF20E891.jpeg.cf939068ac1cb688d8361ad5c026e030.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Cool Think 1

11 hours ago, ValiantKnight said:

Sisebut, Visigothic Kingdom

I love these coin series with charming abstract art, uniformity of style and still, such a varies for mints, cities and rulers. Bronze has its own charm.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rand said:

I love these coin series with charming abstract art, uniformity of style and still, such a varies for mints, cities and rulers. Bronze has its own charm.

Would you happen to know whose bust is on the reverse? I remember reading somewhere that it’s the prince that is depicted, but I don’t know for sure. I assume the king himself is on the obverse.

For those following this thread full of dazzling coins, and despairing of getting an affordable Visigothic example for your collection, I present the following tiny AE:

image.jpeg.c3676c7f3af872b4875d5f223cefc50f.jpeg

Uncertain king after 610. Æ nummus (6mm, 0.23 g, 12h). Ispalis (Seville) mint. Large SP / Cross set on two steps. Crusafont, Visigoda Group A, Type 2.

This is the smallest AE coin in my collection.  While the opposite of dazzling, it does have the virtue of being affordable! 😁

• Like 8

3 hours ago, ValiantKnight said:

Would you happen to know whose bust is on the reverse? I remember reading somewhere that it’s the prince that is depicted, but I don’t know for sure. I assume the king himself is on the obverse.

Sorry, I know little about these coins beyond auction articles and have never had a chance to own one.
Bronze is hugely attractive, being daily money, but there is very little visigothic silver, and I am unsure of any bronze for the niche period I am interested in.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ValiantKnight said:

Wikipedia has an incredibly detailed history of Visigothic coins.

“Issues of Liuvigild with a facing bust on both the obverse and the reverse are known. According to Grierson, this new type, characteristic of Visigothic coinage, was started between 579 and 586, in the last years of Liuvigild's reign, when his brother Liuva I, who had earlier reigned with him, had already died. Grierson further argues that the introduction of the royal coinage, featuring the names of the Visigothic kings in the place of those of the Byzantine Emperors, was connected with the eldest son of Liuvigild, Saint Hermenegild, who was named co-regnant in 573, and married his wife Ingund in 579. His wife was a Frankish princess, and therefore was not an Arian but rather a Chalcedonian Christian. Following his marriage, Hermenegild abandoned Arianism, rebelling against his father and assuming the title of king, in a widespread revolt which was only subdued in 584. Hermenegild died in the following year, and his death allowed his brother Reccared I to become king. The struggle between Liuvigild and Hermenegild is thought to have resulted in the striking of coinage bearing the names of the two claimants to the crown.

From approximately 584 to 649, the most common type was that with a facing bust on either side, with one side bearing the name of the king, and the other that of the mint. This type was only minted after the defeat of Hermenegild by Liuvigild; it is thought that the innovation might have been to indicate the new status of Reccared as co-regnant. Coins were minted in this style for over sixty years, until the end of the reign of Chindasuinth (641-652).

The bust types of the coins vary between mints and across reigns. It is notable that the monarchs are shown uncrowned, despite the fact that according to Saint Isidore of Seville, Liuvigild introduced this symbol of kingship to the Visigoths. Instead, at least one of the busts is shown with shoulder-length hair, a symbol of regal authority among the ancient Germanic peoples.”

• Like 2

Here is another Tremissis in the name of Justinian (527-565)

Obv.: DN IVSTINIANV

Rev.: YVTOIoI AADIVSI - CONOS

Measurements: 1.37g, 16mm, 6h

I think this coin was minted during the reign of Agila (549-554) or Athanagild (554-568). 

This is one of my favorite coins of my entire collection. My wife gave it to me as present on the occasion of the birth of our first child. Not sure why I got a present. She just went to Baldwin's in London and selected this coin. I was super exited and thought may be we should have another 10 children or so. We didn't, we have two children 🙂

Justinian4.PNG

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 1

A recent acquisition from Jean Elsen, Auction 152, 09/09/2022. It came with an older ticket from the same auction house. 

A die-match for the British Museum piece (which has even more prominent flatness on the face). It seems part of a distinct series with a different Victoria style than the more common variety shown earlier (I mean the Numismatik Lanz München. Auction 162. above)

image.png.b6c97fae60e2ad3aa19ea13b63d95de8.png

Edited by Rand
  • Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 2

Valentinian III solidus of Ravenna with its Visigothic counterpart.  On the Visigothic coin, notice the wreath above the emperor’s head, the horseshoe-shaped “C”s of AAVCCC on the reverse, and that all the “A”s lack crossbars.  MEC 170.  This coin is from the sale of the William Subjack collection, Coins of the German Migrations, sold by Italo Vecchi in Nummorum Auctiones 14, lot#8, on 5 February 1999.

image.jpeg.4857207485dacbfad576cf4789d67ed4.jpegimage.jpeg.662bb9720c50d4df01d8306ce635b65e.jpeg

image.jpeg.2d153eaccfda3c482896b6375da7e715.jpegimage.jpeg.f65e8c6d322dade3fde7c1f177639864.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 1

• 3 months later...

I find Visigothic solidi from the early Anastasian period more charming and better made than many imperial coins. 

These solidi have been found across Western Europe, but the highest number of documented finds comes from Sweden, or more precisely from one island - Gotland. All Gotland solidi are from different finds: Bjärs hoard, Botes hoard, Bander hoard, Harkvie hoard, and Bäcks find. It is possible they were used for payments related to Theodoric's Italian war with Odovacer, where Visighots actively supported their eastern keen. The finds, along with the abundance of other Anastasian coins found on Gotland, raise speculation of relatively close links between inhabitants of Gotland and the Goths.

Another interesting fact is that England has the second highest number of documented finds: Colchester 1 Find, Colchester 2 Find, Little Burstead Find in Essex, and Shorwell Find. The condition of the Shorwell coin is not great, and it can be a bit later issue. Does it suggest active trade or participation of the Brits in the war?

In all probability, the coins were minted in South France, and drawing of old hoards (Chinon) suggest their presence. French finds may dominate when access to local French museums improves.

image.png.cdbf629557eca64ed2665ba54ec87a18.png

Numismatik Lanz München, 2016. Ex Roma Numismatics, Auction 8. 28/09/2014; Ex Heritage Auctions, 2012 September Signature World & Ancient Coin Auction. 06/09/2012. 

Edited by Rand
  • Like 4