Claudius II 268-270 AD Antoninianus of Rome Laetitia on Reverse

thenickelguy

933017911_ClaudiusII268-270ADAntoninianusofRomeLaetitiaGallery.jpg.2292749cd9b7a77f64b5fe97bb7021c7.jpg

AE Antoninianus, Rome Mint. With a sea green patina.

Obverse: IMP CLAVDIVS AVG, Radiate head of Claudius right.
Reverse: LAETITIA AVG, Laetitia standing left holding wreath and anchor.

Claudius II was a tough guy from what I gather but many stories about him may have been exaggerated. 

Laetitia was a minor Roman goddess of fertility. Her name was used to mean happiness with prosperity and abundance.  She is shown with an anchor, as a representation of stability

Word of the day

Antoninianus

The name given in modern times to a Roman coin thought to be twice the value of a denarius. Originally a silver coin. The amount of silver in the mix dropped drastically over the years, and later antoniniani were hard to tell from copper or bronze.

• Like 10
  • Yes 1

Nice one! You sure are having fun, @thenickelguy! Here's my favorite Laetitia!

Faustina Jr LAETITIA S C standing left sestertius diademed.jpg

Faustina II, AD 147-175.
Roman orichalcum sestertius, 24.80 g, 32.6 mm, 6 h.
Rome, AD 161-164.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust right, wearing stephane.
Rev: LAETITIA S C, Laetitia standing left, holding wreath and scepter.
Refs: RIC 1653; BMCRE 928; Cohen 150; RCV 5279 var. (bust); MIR 21-6/10b diad.
  • Like 8

• Benefactor

atta-boy, the nickelguy => keep 'em coming!!

Ummm, I had a fairly weak example of Claudius Gothicus (Claudius-II) ... oh, but it was still super-cool!!

=> wanna see it?

Claudius II Gothicus (below)

AE Antoninianus
Obverse: IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG, radiate and draped bust right
Reverse: LIBERT AVG, Libertas standing left
Weight: 3.2 g
Diameter: 18 mm
Reference: RIC VI 62 Rome

ancient56.jpg

ancient56b.jpg

Fun-Fact: This was one of my first two ancient coins (at that time I wasn't even sure if any of them were even real, right? ... it seems so amazing that we can own such old coins!! ... so fricken cool)

Edited by Steve
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, thenickelguy said:

933017911_ClaudiusII268-270ADAntoninianusofRomeLaetitiaGallery.jpg.2292749cd9b7a77f64b5fe97bb7021c7.jpg

Obverse: IMP CLAVDIVS AVG, Radiate head of Claudius right.

Claudius II was a tough guy from what I gather but many stories about him may have been exaggerated. 

Laetitia was a minor Roman goddess of fertility. Her name was used to mean happiness with prosperity and abundance.  She is shown with an anchor, as a representation of stability

Word of the day

Antoninianus

The name given in modern times to a Roman coin thought to be twice the value of a denarius. Originally a silver coin. The amount of silver in the mix dropped drastically over the years, and later antoniniani were hard to tell from copper or bronze.

You know what’s really cool about that coin that nobody has noticed? Look at that obverse legend again, it’s not IMP CLAVDIVS AVG. The legend actually appears to be DIVO CLAVDIO! Whether official or an imitation I’m not sure and haven’t looked into but this coin was minted after Claudius’ death. I’d look into DIVO CLAVDIO coins with an LAETITIA AVG reverse and see what you find. The bust looks official enough to me… so maybe a DIVO C obverse paired with a Quintillus reverse? 

Edit.. addition: http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.5.cg.277

Edited by Orange Julius
  • Like 4
  • Mind blown 2

1 hour ago, Orange Julius said:

You know what’s really cool about that coin that nobody has noticed? Look at that obverse legend again, it’s not IMP CLAVDIVS AVG. The legend actually appears to be DIVO CLAVDIO! Whether official or an imitation I’m not sure and haven’t looked into but this coin was minted after Claudius’ death. I’d look into DIVO CLAVDIO coins with an LAETITIA AVG reverse and see what you find. The bust looks official enough to me… so maybe a DIVO C obverse paired with a Quintillus reverse? 

Edit.. addition: http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.5.cg.277

I noticed that too :D. Nice find @thenickelguy!

Here are a few of my DIVO CLAVDIO coins with lifetime reverses (including a LAETITIA AVG example like the OP coin)

LAETITIA AVG

815610733_claudiusiidivolaetitiaavgmule.png.3efb10387afe6fcabf3e3dec10bf1597.png

FELICITAS AVG

271819112_claudiusiidivofelicitasmule.png.537b6484571f7bb1b902adfe5e4472c9.png

PAX AVGVSTI

1133710615_claudiusiidivopaxavgvstimule.png.eb8b14ff9de0b44c028c70c90e193490.png

SECVRIT AVG

129891798_claudiusiidivosecvritasmule.png.4c6985b1726b18f7dee97b7067b77024.png

• Like 8

DIVO CLAVDIO added to my new file.

You guys . . .

tenor.gif.c80329df8d26ee91d95961b3fa60f665.gif

Obverse: DIVO CLAVDIO, Radiate head of Claudius right.

I think I have a posthumous Antoninianus of Claudius Gothicus which may change the date struck too?

Edited by thenickelguy
  • Like 1

Took better pictures today (I think)

ClaudiusIIGallery1.jpg.afb6395dd5a18b718248bf3458c98928.jpg

I do believe I found this on Wildwinds listed as such and maybe struck in 277 AD? https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/claudius_II/i.html

Divus Claudius II, mule with lifetime reverse

Claudius II AE Antoninianus, commemorative issue. Rome, 277 AD. DIVO CLAVDIO, radiate head right / LAETITIA AVG, Laetitia standing left holding wreath and anchor.

RIC V-1 Rome 277. or should that read RIC 277 Volume 1 Rome Mint

Edited by thenickelguy
  • Like 5