A few Roman acquisitions

robinjojo

• Benefactor

Being a generalist collector of ancients, with an obsession for Athenian owls, I occasionally venture into other areas, sort of like a lost, wayward whale, swimming in the ocean sometimes, but sometimes up a river as a tourist attraction.

Here are some coin shop pickups, nothing remarkable in rarity but good representatives nonetheless.

Vespasian, AE dupondius,, Rome, 74 AD, COS VI.

RIC 567

12.63 grams 

This coin came heavily encrusted in areas and brightly cleaned over much of the obverse and reverse.  Some action was needed. So, the encrusting was mitigated, but not totally removed by non-mechanical means, and the color darkened.  Normally I do not intervene like this, but in this instance the coin looks better, and will prove with time.  Still, it must be noted that it was inappropriately cleaned at one time.

D-CameraVespasianAEdupondiusRome74ADCOSVIRIC56712.63grams3-21-23.jpg.a72fccf5a9a261e05c282109821a5dbd.jpg

Gallienus, antoninianus, Rome, 267 AD, SALVS AVG, Salus feeding snake.

C 940

2.64 grams

No great rarity here, indeed a common coin.  This example retained much of the original silvering and although it is typically crude, the portrait of Gallienus and Salus feeding what looks like a doughnut or bagel to the snake are quite sharp.

D-CameraGallienusantoninianusRome267ADSALVSAVGSalusfeedingsnakeC9402.64grams3-21-23.jpg.b27de08ff18be870d61dbd222eacda6c.jpg

Salonina (Wife of Gallienus), AE As, 260-268 AD, IVNO REGINA SC, Rome

RIC 49

10.04 grams

While going through the boxes, pulling out candidates for purchase, and calculating the economic damage at the same time, I came across a somewhat unusual coin of Salonina.  It certainly was not an antoninianus, far too heavy.  Quite round and chunky a subsequent look up in Van Meter revealed that this is an As, a scarce denomination for this empress.  

D-CameraSalonina(WifeofGallienus)AEAs260-268ADIVNOREGINASCJunoRomeRIC4910.04grams3-21-23.jpg.c63e95b5d132485f352c15d09028a65e.jpg

The final coin is an eBay purchase.  In a thread posted on Cointalk some time ago, I posted photos of coins that have benefited from the effects of time, often acquiring wonderful patinas and subtle blending of colors, while retaining the beauty of their designs.  This is one such example.  Again, like the Gallienus antoninianus, this coin of Claudius II Gothicus is common and usually readily available on the retail and auction circuits.  

Claudius II Gothicus, antoninianus, 268-270 AD, Rome, IOVI VICTORI.

RIC 54

2.65 grams

As with the Gallienus coin, we have a crude coin, generally, but not as crude as the aforementioned coin.  The flan is rounder, with virtually all legends present.  The strike, especially on the obverse, is sharp, with a nice portrait of Claudius II Gothicus.  But what is frosting on the cake for me is the wonderful toning of the silver wash still intact, blending with the more earth tones of the underlying bronze.  Time has indeed been kind to this coin.

D-CameraClaudiusIIGothicusantoninianus268-270ADRomeRIC542.65grams3-22-23.jpg.544cb19d9c6d1049900aa17415f7d349.jpg

• Like 21
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

All great. Salonina is exceptional - but I like the portraits of Gallienus and Claudius II!

I wouldn't have guessed, but I like the Vespasian dupondius the least (still a great one, clearly showing Vespasian's 4 chins). Surprisingly, since I try to concentrate on Imperial 1st and 2nd centuries coins. 

• Like 1

• Benefactor
55 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

All great. Salonina is exceptional - but I like the portraits of Gallienus and Claudius II!

I wouldn't have guessed, but I like the Vespasian dupondius the least (still a great one, clearly showing Vespasian's 4 chins). Surprisingly, since I try to concentrate on Imperial 1st and 2nd centuries coins. 

Yes, the rendering of Vespasian's neck is odd, but one that I have seen before, emphasizing its massive size with its folds, which was probably not the case, but I know from personal experience what happens to chins and neck as one gets older, especially over 65!

That coin has had a rough time, and I hope that it will be appreciated by a future collector. 

• Like 1

• Benefactor
26 minutes ago, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

I like both the Gallienus and the Salonina. The Gallienus looks to me like it's silver and not necessarily bronze with a silver wash, but of course I could be wrong. The Claudius II piece is also quite nice. 

Possibly, but the weight is in the range of other silver washed  antoniniani, such as the Claudius II Gothicus coin.  If it is silver, it would be in the very low billon range, I think, making it effectively mostly bronze.  Also there is some green deposits, which could be caused by leaching and oxidation of the bronze base or core of the coin.