Lysimachus Tetradrachm

DimitriosL

Saw it. It sold for a silly amount for its wear. Glad you didn't spend that kind of money on this coin. 

Yes, horn silver can be cleaned off. I don't have the recipe handy, but easily Googlable. Or just use the search function on here or coin talk. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CPK said:

It's got a lot of eye appeal, despite the scratches. I like the deep toning and the portrait looks to be very nicely struck.

What did it sell for?

The obverse is what got me but the scratches are too much I think. It sold for 300 EU. It seems a lot for this condition but lysimachus coins are usually very expensive so I am not sure.

30 minutes ago, Ryro said:

Saw it. It sold for a silly amount for its wear. Glad you didn't spend that kind of money on this coin. 

Yes, horn silver can be cleaned off. I don't have the recipe handy, but easily Googlable. Or just use the search function on here or coin talk. 

I see, what it would be a fair price for this?

4 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

I prefer this one. Yeah, there are many better ones, but it's sitting in my collection and I can look at it (even hold it) whenever I want. 🙂 

331A2346-Edit-Edit.jpg.90c2401160cd9b0f787d20800f1be648.jpg

It is nice, but portrait is a bit soft… regardless it is still a nice coin with great cabinet toning 

Edited by El Cazador

• Benefactor
1 minute ago, DimitriosL said:

Very nice! What do you think about the one above  sold by savoca for 300?

Well, as you know, Lysimachos tets aren't cheap. Personally, I compensated by not going after that killer portrait, as @El Cazadorpointed out with my coin. A bonus for me was that the mint (Perinthos) is rare and that it appears unpublished (attribution is below).

Looking through recent auctions, I think your coin may have gone a bit high. Given the condition and other sales, IMHO 240 Euros would have been right. That being said, I'm a big fan of looking at the positives for each coin. Not all of us have $5k for a splendid example, so rather than focusing on its deficiencies, I would concentrate on the toning. I'm sure whoever bought it will be excited to own it.

Lysimachos
287/281 BCE
Perinthos 17.08g
Kopf des vergöttlichten Alexander / Athena mit Nike-Statuette auf Cippus und Schild, Beiz. Monogramm und 2 gegenläufige Pferdeprotomen.
Thompson in Festschr. Robinson (1968), -, vgl. 256 HGC 1750q; Thompson, Armenak-Hoard (=ANS MN 31, 198 - Müller, Lysimachus - Arnold-Biucchi in Festschr. Price (1998) Unpublished variant(?)

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

38 minutes ago, DimitriosL said:

The obverse is what got me but the scratches are too much I think. It sold for 300 EU. It seems a lot for this condition but lysimachus coins are usually very expensive so I am not sure.

Oh okay. I'd say 300 EUR was pretty good. Not a steal, maybe, but not outrageous either. You'd be looking at ~370 EUR after fees and everything.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CPK said:

Oh okay. I'd say 300 EUR was pretty good. Not a steal, maybe, but not outrageous either. You'd be looking at ~370 EUR after fees and everything.

Yes it was pretty average. Then again I am not sure if that horn silver is stable or Is gonna spread. Either way I hope the winner enjoys it.

In my opinion, a 357 euros price (300 + 18% fees + 1% insurance for transport) is not a price to make me say "oh boy, how could I miss this one". 

I have a Lysimachos drachm (I don't have any tetradrachms) with the same design. Bought accidentally. It is one of the coins I look at and smile, but the mistake could have been costly. I was not paying attention to the auction as the lots I was interested in were coming after 1-2 hours. Sometimes I buy CHEAP impulse coins before the ones I am after appear, but rarely something over 50 euros. 

image.png.54c0a68301edddc2d0c77870ae2e0fdb.png

KINGS of THRACE. Lysimachos.(305-281 BC). Ephesos. Drachm. 18 mm, 4.2 g

Obv : Diademed head of the deified Alexander right, wearing horn of Ammon. / Rev : BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΛYΣIMAXOY. / Rev: Athena seated left on the throne, holding Nike, crowning the king's name, in her right hand and leaning with her left arm on shield decorated with lion's head, transverse spear with point below, lyre to the inner left field, A under the throne.

Thompson 174; Müller 355.

This one had no bids, I heard "No bid. Going once. Going twice". So I quickly clicked the mouse when seeing it's a nice coin, even if corroded, the design is intact (and beautiful)

... only to see the opening bid was not 10 euros, like the rest of the coins in the auction, but 100. 
I mumbled some not very nice words but in the end it was a benign mistake as I think the price is justified for it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DimitriosL said:

Yeah seems fair, but once again I was limited. Maybe I should begin with roman issues, denarii perhaps, and when I have more money to spare go for the white whales.

Yeah, general consensus: it’s better to get common coin in better condition than “rare” coin in poor condition 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

Well, as you know, Lysimachos tets aren't cheap. Personally, I compensated by not going after that killer portrait, as @El Cazadorpointed out with my coin. A bonus for me was that the mint (Perinthos) is rare and that it appears unpublished (attribution is below).

Looking through recent auctions, I think your coin may have gone a bit high. Given the condition and other sales, IMHO 240 Euros would have been right. That being said, I'm a big fan of looking at the positives for each coin. Not all of us have $5k for a splendid example, so rather than focusing on its deficiencies, I would concentrate on the toning. I'm sure whoever bought it will be excited to own it.

Lysimachos
287/281 BCE
Perinthos 17.08g
Kopf des vergöttlichten Alexander / Athena mit Nike-Statuette auf Cippus und Schild, Beiz. Monogramm und 2 gegenläufige Pferdeprotomen.
Thompson in Festschr. Robinson (1968), -, vgl. 256 HGC 1750q; Thompson, Armenak-Hoard (=ANS MN 31, 198 - Müller, Lysimachus - Arnold-Biucchi in Festschr. Price (1998) Unpublished variant(?)

Very interesting, it's a beautiful issue either way so enjoy it!

3 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

In my opinion, a 357 euros price (300 + 18% fees + 1% insurance for transport) is not a price to make me say "oh boy, how could I miss this one". 

I have a Lysimachos drachm (I don't have any tetradrachms) with the same design. Bought accidentally. It is one of the coins I look at and smile, but the mistake could have been costly. I was not paying attention to the auction as the lots I was interested in were coming after 1-2 hours. Sometimes I buy CHEAP impulse coins before the ones I am after appear, but rarely something over 50 euros. 

image.png.54c0a68301edddc2d0c77870ae2e0fdb.png

KINGS of THRACE. Lysimachos.(305-281 BC). Ephesos. Drachm. 18 mm, 4.2 g

Obv : Diademed head of the deified Alexander right, wearing horn of Ammon. / Rev : BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΛYΣIMAXOY. / Rev: Athena seated left on the throne, holding Nike, crowning the king's name, in her right hand and leaning with her left arm on shield decorated with lion's head, transverse spear with point below, lyre to the inner left field, A under the throne.

Thompson 174; Müller 355.

This one had no bids, I heard "No bid. Going once. Going twice". So I quickly clicked the mouse when seeing it's a nice coin, even if corroded, the design is intact (and beautiful)

... only to see the opening bid was not 10 euros, like the rest of the coins in the auction, but 100. 
I mumbled some not very nice words but in the end it was a benign mistake as I think the price is justified for it. 

Yeah it was an average price in my opinion. If it was closer to 250 I would get it because of the toning and the portrait. That's a nice drachm u got there.

• Laugh 1

• Benefactor
7 minutes ago, El Cazador said:

Yeah, general consensus: it’s better to get common coin in better condition than “rare” coin in poor condition 

That's subjective. Each of us has our own goals. I personally like rarer coins, but I can understand those who would rather put the money into better condition.

I picked up this coin today. Did I pay too much? Maybe. However, I've been after a Nikomedes IV tet for some time and I felt the obvious detractions were still worth the bid. Sure, I could have paid three times as much for a gorgeous coin, but I'm very happy with the one I got. That's the point I'm really trying to make. Once you buy that coin, it's yours - so enjoy it. Don't let others try to tell you it's not special and don't get too caught up in whether you overpaid.

3829819_1677253243.jpg.b2f27891c375de2062e9f14044807301.jpg

• Like 4
  • Yes 2

44 minutes ago, DimitriosL said:

I see, what it would be a fair price for this?

I didn't think it would go over 200€. I wouldn't have flushed that much on such a trash version though. Even if the horn silver comes off, it's wear an ho-hum style just make this a silly amount. 

Here are two of the type that sold on CNG for $300 & $325:

4-HJLHC.jpg.7aac5679bf0690b0fb461e403a6d49c3.jpg4-8YJW1.jpg.4b8c1106b96879ed728e3ae41058f500.jpg

The coin you and I were watching on Savoca, listed above, simply is inferior in every aspect and sold for more!?

You would be wise to sit around and wait on a type as popular and plentiful as these. 

• Like 6