Probus - rare and interesting bust

Tejas

I was glad to get this Probus Antoninan. The coin was in a lot of two, with the other coin being a very nice early follis of Constantine I from Trier. Split between the two, the Probus was very reasonable priced.

I have 123 Probus Antoniniani and this is number 124 (I guess you can't have enough Probus coins). I have many different busts, but was missing this interesting military bust, which is quite rare.

2 - Kopie.PNG

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 21
  • Gasp 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Yes, I thought so too, but I don't complain. 

The other coin from the lot is very nice too and something I want to keep. I hardly ever buy lots and if I do I usually only want one out of the group. So that is double lucky.

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 1

Yes, I guess the encrustations were one reason why the coin was not deemed worthy of separate listing. I suppose I will just leave it as it is or decide when I have it in hand. I paid roughly USD 250 for the piece. I consider this a low price, even in the present condition. I cannot recall having seen this bust type offered in an auction in recent years.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 10:01 AM, Tejas said:

Yes, I guess the encrustations were one reason why the coin was not deemed worthy of separate listing. I suppose I will just leave it as it is or decide when I have it in hand. I paid roughly USD 250 for the piece. I consider this a low price, even in the present condition. I cannot recall having seen this bust type offered in an auction in recent years.

Congrats @Tejas! Great and rare Probus bust at a bargain price. If I still collected Probus coins and did not have this bust in collection I would have easily given three times the hammer price. 

This is my example from another officina (A) ex Philippe Gysen collection:

https://www.colleconline.com/en/items/125993/coins-ancient-to-romans-imperial-and-republican-alfoldi-009-036-sold

I agree your new coin would look much better if cleaned professionally but even now it's still quite ok, especially for this price.    

• Like 1