Ptolemy IV Philopator Drachm - Hockey Puck

Ancient Coin Hunter

• Benefactor

PTOLEMAIC EMPIRE

EGYPT, ALEXANDRIA. Ptolemy IV 221-205 BC AE Drachm. (75.52g, 41mm, 12h)

Obverse: Bust of Zeus Ammon right

Reverse: ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ, Eagle standing left on thunderbolt, cornucopiae in front, ΛΙ between legs

Reference: SNG Cop 199. 

Besides the Greek name Ptolemaios he also used this short honorific in Egyptian...

Iwaennetjerwy-menkhwy Setepptah Userkare Sekhemankhamun, which means "Heir of the [two] Beneficent Gods, Chosen of Ptah, Powerful is the Soul of Re, Powerful Image of Amun."

He actually embellished the temple of Sobek at Kom Ombo, I visited the temple of this crocodile god on the Nile several years back and had the distinction of being held up at gunpoint in the town after darkness had fallen. I wasn't sure at the time if I was going to make it. Eventually I made it back to the temple grounds and the guards watched over me. At 5:30 the first calls to prayer were heard from several mosques, even from those across the river. With sunrise I was able to catch the first train and head north to Coptos. 

Back to Ptolemy IV - He was somewhat dissolute according to the sources, favoring strong drink and other pleasures and ignoring foreign affairs, hence Syria was lost to the Seleucid Kingdom and the natives also revolted in Upper Egypt. Also, silver came into short supply and as a result, more of the large bronze types were struck. He eventually recruited an army of 55,000 men and marched against Antiochus III at Raffa where he was victorious, or at least the Seleucid forces were turned back... 

ptol1.jpg.4fa2cca0b11f32ea6ceac86364153bb4.jpg

ptol2.jpg.25e3f0cd0e79920b6eff85c365cc2887.jpg

Edited by Ancient Coin Hunter
  • Like 12

Ptolemy III Euergetes, Ptolemaic Kingdom
AE octobol
Obv: Diademed head of Zeus-Ammon right
Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΠTOΛEMAIOY, eagle with open wings standing left on thunderbolt, head right; E between legs
Mint: Alexandria
Date: 246-222 BC
Ref: Svoronos 446; SNG Copenhagen 142 (Ptolemy II); Lorber series 4
Size: 48 mm, 93 gm

ptolemyiiioctobolvk.jpg.91eda1af83edfc2d20bc1eff9c4a8391.jpg

• Like 12

Ptolemy IV, Alexandria Cornucopia Series 5 (As per OP coin)
Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΠTOΛEMAIOY, eagle with closed wings standing left on thunderbolt, head left; ΛI (Lamda Iota) between legs
Date: 219-205 BC
Ref: Svoronos 1126, SNG Cop. 199
Size: AE41 mm, 70.33 gm

PTOLEMY IV (O).jpgPTOLEMY IV (R).jpg

(This 'puck' has played a few games.)

Edited by Topcat7
  • Like 9

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, ValiantKnight said:

Ptolemy III Euergetes, Ptolemaic Kingdom
AE octobol
Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΠTOΛEMAIOY, eagle with open wings standing left on thunderbolt, head right; E between legs
Date: 246-222 BC
Ref: Svoronos 446; SNG Copenhagen 142 (Ptolemy II); Lorber series 4
Size: 48 mm, 93 gm

ptolemyiiioctobolvk.jpg.91eda1af83edfc2d20bc1eff9c4a8391.jpg

You would need to build up the biceps to carry a purse of those heavy coins!

On 3/7/2023 at 3:04 PM, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

PTOLEMAIC EMPIRE

EGYPT, ALEXANDRIA. Ptolemy IV 221-205 BC AE Drachm. (75.52g, 41mm, 12h)

Obverse: Bust of Zeus Ammon right

Reverse: ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ, Eagle standing left on thunderbolt, cornucopiae in front, ΛΙ between legs

Reference: SNG Cop 199. 

Besides the Greek name Ptolemaios he also used this short honorific in Egyptian...

Iwaennetjerwy-menkhwy Setepptah Userkare Sekhemankhamun, which means "Heir of the [two] Beneficent Gods, Chosen of Ptah, Powerful is the Soul of Re, Powerful Image of Amun."

He actually embellished the temple of Sobek at Kom Ombo, I visited the temple of this crocodile god on the Nile several years back and had the distinction of being held up at gunpoint in the town after darkness had fallen. I wasn't sure at the time if I was going to make it. Eventually I made it back to the temple grounds and the guards watched over me. At 5:30 the first calls to prayer were heard from several mosques, even from those across the river. With sunrise I was able to catch the first train and head north to Coptos. 

Back to Ptolemy IV - He was somewhat dissolute according to the sources, favoring strong drink and other pleasures and ignoring foreign affairs, hence Syria was lost to the Seleucid Kingdom and the natives also revolted in Upper Egypt. Also, silver came into short supply and as a result, more of the large bronze types were struck. He eventually recruited an army of 55,000 men and marched against Antiochus III at Raffa where he was victorious, or at least the Seleucid forces were turned back... 

ptol1.jpg.4fa2cca0b11f32ea6ceac86364153bb4.jpg

ptol2.jpg.25e3f0cd0e79920b6eff85c365cc2887.jpg

Thats an awesome pickup, congrats! I have one, my baby nephew absolutely loves them cuz they look like brownie bites….then he lost his two front teeth biting into it.

He doesn’t love them so much anymore. 

At least the coins okay!

Ptolemy III AE drachm, 43mm, 70g

AF0CB61C-3CB2-4E1A-B4E6-A791112595ED.jpeg.06beff3f0f20fe68814e213cbc0c18f2.jpegFCAC8EC9-FFF0-4C4A-849A-A86EFC7F4A41.jpeg.a76e0f223849eaf1d755a9dfd02696bc.jpegF649DE4A-5B4D-4248-A418-854CE8E7D44B.jpeg.230d57518d2fc62f2a73a8d13ec27ce9.jpeg

Edited by John060167
  • Like 6
  • Mind blown 1