Treasures from new digs reveal that Pompeii is far from ‘frozen in time’

robinjojo

I toured Pompeii some years ago and I would happily return any day. Even though only two-thirds of the site remains excavated, what does exist covers quite a bit of ground. In what seemed like plenty of time to allocate, maybe 6 to 7 hours, I still didn't have time to see everything. But one thing I could never miss: Vesuvius looming on the horizon. That image will stay with me forever.

• Benefactor

Thanks for posting the article. It looks like they are finally getting around to excavating some new areas. Who knows what will be found? And since the piece mentions that Pompeii was basically an unfashionable town what would Rome or Herculaneum or Briae been like?

Edited by Ancient Coin Hunter
  • Like 1

• Benefactor
7 minutes ago, Ancient Coin Hunter said:

Thanks for posting the article. It looks like they are finally getting around to excavating some new areas. Who knows what will be found? And since the piece mentions that Pompeii was basically an unfashionable town what would Rome or Herculaneum or Briae been like?

There's an excellent episode of Secrets of the Dead (PBS) that looks at Baiae.   Here's a link.  It's an older episode, so you'd have to buy it for the entire video.

https://www.pbs.org/video/secrets-dead-neros-sunken-city/#:~:text=Beneath the turquoise waves of,and powerful among Rome's elite.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1