Handling/Storing

DimitriosL

I store them in the safety type flips, although I store gold or gold scyphates in the old PVC types, since they're softer.  I've never had a problem with the old tpe flips damaging a coin.

The coin in flip eventually goes into a standard coin box.

After the Great Bronze disease breakout of 2000, I am very hesitant to handle my coins, especially close up.  I always wear gloves, handle them outside of the flip as little as possible, and I always make sure that my hands are bone dry.  However, I'm more cautious than most.  I always hold my breath when examining it close to my face.  I think that's what caused the 2000 breakout.  Since close handling almost never happens, it's not too much of an inconvenience.

With me, it pretty much goes in the flip and never leaves.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I collect bronze coins and don't worry about handling. I quite often given them a good scrubbing with a soft toothbrush and soap as part of onboarding, and no harm done yet, other than a couple of fake patinas that have come off!

There's probably more potential for leaving fingerprints on silver coins, but in general I don't think folk worry too much about handling ancients! You could use something like Ren. Wax. to help preserve surfaces, but the appearance of bronze and silver will eventually change over time regardless.

There are many different types of storage/display, which vary according to personal preference and collection size. For a smaller collection it's nice to prioritize display, while for  large collection you will eventually need to prioritize space. I've gone from albums with coins in flips to 2x2" paper envelopes in boxes (organized for rapid coin location).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I handle my coins after washing hands and drying, nothing too special. Im a bit more careful with gold b/c its a bit softer, but its not a big deal.

Storage I mainly use velvet trays because it looks nice and it's easy to access the coins. I don't have a huge collection so I'm able to store most of my nicer coins in trays. I really like zecchi's trays, good quality and made of mahogany and velvet. i wouldnt recommend felt trays for nicer coins, theyre a little bit more abrasive than velvet

Edited by Cordoba
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

It depends what you want. If you don’t want the silver to tone, you need to keep them away from air. That’s impossible, but some capsules help strip chemicals from the air and so slow toning.

Keeping them dry, not somewhere humid, is a good idea, especially bronze. Keep everything away from PVC flips. You can pick them up, but remember your fingers have chemicals and moisture on them. If it’s a well-cleaned or corroded bronze (i.e. the protective patina has gone) you might trigger bronze disease. So it’s safest to touch the edges or wear cotton gloves for anything that might be delicate.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If a coin is shiny, then I try to only touch the edge of the coin. If a coin is not shiny, then I may put the coin in the palm of my hand, but I usually only touch the edges of the coin. I make sure, that my hands are dry, and not too dirty, when I handle my coins. I don't put anything, on any of my coins, such as wax. I try to keep my coins in a place, where the temperature doesn't get too hot. I keep my coins away from PVC plastic. I keep all of my coins in Abafil velvet trays, inside of Abafil cases. Except for my Lincoln cent collection, and less important coins, which I keep in blue Whitman albums. And my least important coins, which I keep in a small wooden treasure chest, or in hard plastic coin tubes. I've been collecting ancient coins for 4 years, and I've never had any problems with bronze disease. I don't worry about toning of silver coins, because I like toning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I keep them in box in Velour trays and have thrown a few silica gel capsules in at the bottom. I store each coin in its own segment so no coins can touch. This is for ease of organisation, but also in the unlikely event of an outbreak, spread will be minimized (hopefully!).

I take absolutely no precuations when handling them except washing noticeable dirt/oil/sweat from my hands if it happens to be present. I'm not particularly delicate when handling them either and sometimes even gently run my finger across the coin like a Roman would if he was waiting in line for bread or whatever. I let guests handle them if they wish, only politely requesting that they don't drop them.

I've never experienced any toning of silver or disease of bronze. I'm of the mindset that after 2000 years of survival, my storage and examination of a coin isn't going to pose any problems it hasn't encountered already. My collection is for the enjoyment and education of myself and the people I know. To use an analogy, I wouldn't want to be the Whisky collector who doesn't drink Whisky!

I don't have any coins that cost more than £150, nor any that are in spectacular condition, which may explain my lack of care compared to others.

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all so much! I am mostly concerned about silver(the only type I get at auctions) since I read that they may change colour dramatically if not stored with care. My hands also get sweaty easily so cotton gloves might be a good idea. Most bronzes i own are from uncleaned lots so I am extra worried about bz. One last thing, are the plastic (pouches?) that auction houses ship the coins in safe for short term storage or they contain harmful materials?( savoca is the latest example). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DimitriosL said:

Thank you all so much! I am mostly concerned about silver(the only type I get at auctions) since I read that they may change colour dramatically if not stored with care. My hands also get sweaty easily so cotton gloves might be a good idea. Most bronzes i own are from uncleaned lots so I am extra worried about bz. One last thing, are the plastic (pouches?) that auction houses ship the coins in safe for short term storage or they contain harmful materials?( savoca is the latest example). 

i cant say for sure but i think savoca ones are pvc free. i've stored coins in them for months (moved them to tray afterwards) and they were fine. plastic flips from auction houses are generally not safe for long term storage.

for silver coins, storing them in pvc free flips should be fine. if you buy a coin tray make sure it is mahogany, a lot of other woods give off gasses that will tone silver coins

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DimitriosL said:

You're most welcome.

If a silver coin is shiny, then the silver coin will eventually "tone", which means that the surface of the silver coin will combine with chemicals in the air and turn different colors. Sometimes the colors are very pretty, and add value to the coin ("rainbow toning"). If I remember correctly, often a silver coin will turn yellow, then red, then blue, then gray, then black. Some collectors, such as myself, like toned silver coins. Other collectors prefer shiny silver coins. The only way to prevent a silver coin from toning, is to put the silver coin in an air tight container, so that no fresh air can reach the coin. Some collectors put silver coins in clear hard plastic capsules, which may be somewhat air tight. For me, I like to be able to touch my coins. Therefore, I never put my coins in clear hard plastic capsules. By the way, I have some ancient silver coins, which I've had for years, and they are still as shiny as the day I bought them.

Sometimes sellers and auction houses ship coins in plastic flips (what you called "pouches"). The plastic flips may have PVC, especially if the flip is soft. A coin may be okay in a plastic PVC flip for a few days, or a few weeks, over maybe even a few years, but it's like playing Russian roulette. It depends on the temperature, the humidity, etc. In a PVC flip, a bronze coin can corrode ("bronze disease"), and a silver coin can also corrode (clear slime or white slime or green slime). A gold coin may be safe in a PVC flip, but I wouldn't want to try it. I always remove my coins from the seller's plastic flips, as soon as I can, usually within 2 days after I receive the coin. Some collectors store their ancient coins in PVC free plastic flips, which are very stiff. However, I store my ancient coins in Abafil velvet trays, in Abafil cases. On the other hand, I store my Lincoln cent collection in blue Whitman albums, which have hard plastic sleeves covering both sides of each coin. I guess, my blue Whitman albums are probably PVC free, because they are relatively new albums.

• Thanks 1

P.S. : For bronze coins, I've never bought uncleaned bronze coins. All of my bronze coins, have a patina, and are not shiny. Except for maybe 1 or 2 bronze coins, which may have shiny spots, where the patina was damaged. Therefore, I don't do anything special with my bronze coins. Sometimes, if a bronze coin has some small bits of encrustation, then I may use a pointy scalpel, while viewing the coin with a cheap, low powered coin microscope, to remove the small bits of encrustation.

For uncleaned bronze coins, I recommend, that you search this forum, and other ancient coin forums, for information, about how to clean them. If I remember correctly (be sure to research and check this), people sometimes use distilled water (not tap water, which may have chlorine, which can cause bronze disease) and a toothbrush, with the bristles cut short, to scrub the coin, to remove the dirt. Then, some people use a pointy scalpel, while viewing the coin under a microscope, to remove any encrustations.

Edited by sand
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cordoba said:

i cant say for sure but i think savoca ones are pvc free. i've stored coins in them for months (moved them to tray afterwards) and they were fine. plastic flips from auction houses are generally not safe for long term storage.

for silver coins, storing them in pvc free flips should be fine. if you buy a coin tray make sure it is mahogany, a lot of other woods give off gasses that will tone silver coins

Yeah it seems that trays are the best option since i also want to touch my coins. I actually love toning I just want to avoid corrosion. Thanks again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sand said:

You're most welcome.

If a silver coin is shiny, then the silver coin will eventually "tone", which means that the surface of the silver coin will combine with chemicals in the air and turn different colors. Sometimes the colors are very pretty, and add value to the coin ("rainbow toning"). If I remember correctly, often a silver coin will turn yellow, then red, then blue, then gray, then black. Some collectors, such as myself, like toned silver coins. Other collectors prefer shiny silver coins. The only way to prevent a silver coin from toning, is to put the silver coin in an air tight container, so that no fresh air can reach the coin. Some collectors put silver coins in clear hard plastic capsules, which may be somewhat air tight. For me, I like to be able to touch my coins. Therefore, I never put my coins in clear hard plastic capsules. By the way, I have some ancient silver coins, which I've had for years, and they are still as shiny as the day I bought them.

Sometimes sellers and auction houses ship coins in plastic flips (what you called "pouches"). The plastic flips may have PVC, especially if the flip is soft. A coin may be okay in a plastic PVC flip for a few days, or a few weeks, over maybe even a few years, but it's like playing Russian roulette. It depends on the temperature, the humidity, etc. In a PVC flip, a bronze coin can corrode ("bronze disease"), and a silver coin can also corrode (clear slime or white slime or green slime). A gold coin may be safe in a PVC flip, but I wouldn't want to try it. I always remove my coins from the seller's plastic flips, as soon as I can, usually within 2 days after I receive the coin. Some collectors store their ancient coins in PVC free plastic flips, which are very stiff. However, I store my ancient coins in Abafil velvet trays, in Abafil cases. On the other hand, I store my Lincoln cent collection in blue Whitman albums, which have hard plastic sleeves covering both sides of each coin. I guess, my blue Whitman albums are probably PVC free, because they are relatively new albums.

Very useful advice. I was planning to leave it in the flip for some time but I should take them out. Sadly, I doubt I will be able to find trays in my country since such hobbies are very obscure. Have you ever purchased this kind of equipment online?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sand said:

P.S. : For bronze coins, I've never bought uncleaned bronze coins. All of my bronze coins, have a patina, and are not shiny. Except for maybe 1 or 2 bronze coins, which may have shiny spots, where the patina was damaged. Therefore, I don't do anything special with my bronze coins. Sometimes, if a bronze coin has some small bits of encrustation, then I may use a pointy scalpel, while viewing the coin with a cheap, low powered coin microscope, to remove the small bits of encrustation.

For uncleaned bronze coins, I recommend, that you search this forum, for information, about how to clean them. If I remember correctly (be sure to research and check this), people sometimes use distilled water (not tap water, which may have chlorine which can cause bronze disease) and a toothbrush, with the bristles cut short, to scrub the coin, to remove the dirt. Then, some people use a pointy scalpel, while viewing the coin under a microscope, to remove any encrustations.

I have some success with cleaning so far but it is a brutal process. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DimitriosL said:

Very useful advice. I was planning to leave it in the flip for some time but I should take them out. Sadly, I doubt I will be able to find trays in my country since such hobbies are very obscure. Have you ever purchased this kind of equipment online?

I think that, most ancient coin collectors, purchase their coin trays, and coin cases, on the internet, and the trays and cases are mailed to them. Even in the US, there are very few local coin shops which sell coin trays or coin cases.

If you want Abafil velvet trays, and Abafil cases, there are 2 ways to buy them, that I know.

1. You can order them from the Abafil web site, which is based in Italy.

2. You can order them from the US reseller. I live in the US, and I've ordered all of my Abafil products from him : https://www.coin.com/cases/ 

You can search this forum, and other ancient coin forums, to find other brands of coin trays and coin cases, which are sold on the internet.

Some collectors use coin cabinets, rather than coin cases. Coin cabinets can also be purchased on the internet.

However, you can also make a simple coin tray, pretty easily. Just buy any tray, or even a cardboard box (preferably a low profile box), and buy a sheet of velvet. Then, cut a rectangular piece of velvet to the size of the bottom of the tray, and put the velvet in the bottom of the tray. The tray won't have any compartments (well, you could say, that the tray will have 1 compartment). However, currently, I've been using 1-compartment Abafil velvet trays anyway. All of my ancient Greek and nonclassical ancient coins are in 1 tray. All of my ancient Roman coins are in another tray. Etc.

Or, any piece of furniture which has drawers, or any storage bin which has drawers, can be converted into a coin cabinet, by simply putting velvet in the bottom of each drawer.

If you can't get velvet easily, then even cotton cloth, with something soft underneath, could be used, instead of velvet, at least until you can get velvet.

Edited by sand
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, sand said:

I think that, most ancient coin collectors, purchase their coin trays, and coin cases, on the internet, and the trays and cases are mailed to them. Even in the US, there are very few local coin shops which sell coin trays or coin cases.

If you want Abafil velvet trays, and Abafil cases, there are 2 ways to buy them, that I know.

1. You can order them from the Abafil web site, which is based in Italy.

2. You can order them from the US reseller. I live in the US, and I've ordered all of my Abafil products from him : https://www.coin.com/cases/ 

You can search this forum, and other ancient coin forums, to find other brands of coin trays and coin cases, which are sold on the internet.

Some collectors use coin cabinets, rather than coin cases. Coin cabinets can also be purchased on the internet.

However, you can also make a simple coin tray, pretty easily. Just buy any tray, or even a cardboard box (preferably a low profile box), and buy a sheet of velvet. Then, cut a rectangular piece of velvet to the size of the bottom of the tray, and put the velvet in the bottom of the tray. The tray won't have any compartments (well, you could say, that the tray will have 1 compartment). However, currently, I've been using 1-compartment Abafil velvet trays anyway. All of my ancient Greek and nonclassical ancient coins are in 1 tray. All of my ancient Roman coins are in another tray. Etc.

Or, any piece of furniture which has drawers, or any storage bin which has drawers, can be converted into a coin cabinet, by simply putting velvet in the bottom of each drawer.

If you can't get velvet easily, then even cotton cloth, with something soft underneath, could be used, instead of velvet, at least until you can get velvet.

thanks again! I am going to check their site out. 

• Like 1

Being that we live in a humid environment ca. 5mths a year, during the late autumn-winter-early spring, I use semi-industrial dehumidifiers in at least 3 rooms. Thus the temperature rises a bit over what the heating system would allow on the thermostat setting that I use and the hygrometer never goes over 60% even if the regular humidity would actually go around 90%. I've lived for a few months at 80-86% humidity and I had an orichalcum coin sitting on my nightstand unmoved develop not BD but rather green mold between its underneath surface and the wooden surface of the nightstand. This was a wakeup call and I never ever let that happen again. So now, 50-55% humidity, ca. 20 centigrade, in wooden and metal boxes decked with silica envelopes and textile and/or dried paper. Paper envelopes, mostly DIY, some stored inside plastic (for silver) -- sometimes this offers interesting toning on high silver content. This gives me great latitude for touching -- I hold coins with everything on my hands, from the regular skin oils to stout beer and barbecue fat. I just hold them by the edges and make sure not to smudge anything on the surfaces. I always wash hands after handling suspect BD though.

Edited by seth77
  • Like 2

I'm happy that I kept most coins on hand in boxes.  I didn't have too many displayed.  One never knows, you might have to evacuate for illness, weather, etc.  I was able to quickly evacuate any worthwhile coins when I had to stay with relatives because of illness. 

I came back home with two more than I left, the ones my dad and I picked out at the coin store!

• Like 1