Heavy weight Antoninian of Postumus

Tejas

I'm not a fan of technical oddities, but I could not resist buying this Antoninianus of Postumus. 

The coin weighs a whopping 6.73 gr. The exceptionally high weight is due to a very thick and large flan (22mm). 

Obv.:  IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG

Rev.: ORIENS AVG Sol 

RIC 316.  

I'd love to see other Antoniniani of exceptionally high weight.

coin1.PNG

• Like 20
  • Popcorn 1
  • Gasp 1
  • Shock 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

Big and beautiful, that antoninian is exceptional, well done !

I have one big one for Gordian III at 6,95 gr

d9bab589ece04cc394ba7ca90d0174f4.jpg

Gordian III, Antoninianus - Rome mint, 5th emission,  05-243/02-244 CE
IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind
SECVRITAS PERPETUA, Securitas standing left, holding scepter and resting on column
6,95 gr, 25 mm
Ref : RIC #153, RCV #8661, Cohen #336, Michaux #409
Ex FORVM ancient coins

Q

• Like 18
  • Mind blown 1

Exceptionnel and nice coin (is it the Leu coin ?) considering that the average of the 60 specimens of this type in the Normanby Hoard was 2.96g ! (I also remember there is a 7.16g with the MONETA AVG type in the Paris collection) Here is an ugly Victorinus of 6.49g.

0AFD9FD7-27F1-4C2B-B069-F9DEBEE7B560.jpeg.0979933e3a9357daefab71be09d154f4.jpeg

Edited by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix
  • Like 19

Very nice. I don't have anything close to that, but this one is the heaviest.

Gordian III, AD 238-244. AR Antoninianus (22mm, 5.41g, 1h). Rome mint, struck AD 243-244. Obv: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG; Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev: MARTEM POPVGNATOREM; Mars advancing right, holding spear and shield. Ref: RIC IV 147; RSC 160. Very Fine, nice large flan, heavy example.

image.jpeg.7f1276806e7552dd21e0c5f4cfcf0d8e.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Gasp 1

11 hours ago, Ocatarinetabellatchitchix said:

Exceptionnel and nice coin (is it the Leu coin ?) considering that the average of the 60 specimens of this type in the Normanby Hoard was 2.96g ! (I also remember there is a 7.16g with the MONETA AVG type in the Paris collection

Yes, the coin is from a recent Leu auction. I had the type (but with P in the reverse field) and was not interested until I realised the exceptionally high weight. The coin has an almost medallic appearance in hand and I'm very pleased with it.

Given that the coin is about double the standard weight, I guess that two flans stuck together when it was struck. The coin is not only heavy, it also has a relatively high silver content. My other coin of this type has a completely coppery appearance, with no visible trace of silver.

The heavy coin above shows no signs of circulation. I think somebody in antiquity may have realized that he had received two (relatively good) Antoniniani instead of one and kept it our of circulation, i.e. saved it.

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 2

Here is another heavy-weight from my collection. 

This Antoninian of Claudius II weights 6.39 gr.

The flan is normal sized or even a bit short, but the coin is super thick. I don't have a picture on the rim, but you can actually look onto the rim from above at 12 to 2h on the obverse and 9 to 12h on the reverse.

Despite the thick flan, I can't see any evidence that two flans stuck together. I think this is just how this coin was made.

coin1.PNG

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 8

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Tejas said:

Here is another heavy-weight from my collection. 

This Antoninian of Claudius II weights 6.39 gr.

The flan is normal sized or even a bit short, but the coin is super thick. I don't have a picture on the rim, but you can actually look onto the rim from above at 12 to 2h on the obverse and 9 to 12h on the reverse.

Despite the thick flan, I can't see any evidence that two flans stuck together. I think this is just how this coin was made.

coin1.PNG

That's very heavy for Claudius II, most of his antoniniani are 2.8-3.2 grams or thereabouts.

• Like 3

Yes, the Claudius II Antoninian completely sticks out. It feels like a completely different denomination. It is about 3 times thicker than thin exemplars. I'm wondering if it was some kind of test strike. 

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 1

This one is quite thick too, at 5,30 gr

a0ca4001598d4719b320b84eef191936.jpg

Claudius Gothicus, Antoninianus - Mediolanum mint, 1st officina, 268-270 CE
IMP CLAVDIVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
PROVID AVG, Providentia standing left, holding globe and cornucopiae. P at exergue
5.30 gr 18-21 mm
Ref : RIC V, Part 1, 163, RCV # 11361

And the three following ones are 5,71 gr, 5,33 gr and 5,41 gr

3fe792ede6fe4172877ce19c3af79c99.jpg

83f3aae0ae5c4596a0b66a5d6d16f7ee.jpg

a9d5f3e2421f44da985c1fcdb9442feb.jpg

Q

• Like 6