two Heraclian Hexagrams

Nerosmyfavorite68

I recently filled a long-time want, a Hexagram of Heraclius.  I picked these two out of a group.  They have more facial features than most, but they were inexpensive, probably because they weren't cleaned all that well.  They're brightly cleaned in person, but the rounder one has a lot of black areas (horn silver, a tar pit?).  I picked the oblong one because of the unusual flan shape. Both look far less scratched under normal light.

2095070268_Heraclius(610-641)-ARHexagram-Sear798DOC64-25mm.6.56g-Ktoright-Zurqieh120.jpg.86e585ea0261fb224849da85660d1c02.jpg

Heraclius (610-641) - AR Hexagram - Sear 798, DOC 64 - 25mm., 6.56g - K to right

Another Sear 798, 23mm., 6.4g., oblong flan.674156248_Heraclius(610-641)-ARHexagram-Sear798-23mm6.40goblongflan-Zurqieh90d.jpg.c7e92a00d723701898d4dbea595ccbcc.jpg

Both are from Zurqieh.  The shipping was typically fast.

The photos are a bit tricky; I was under the impression that the coins were partially uncleaned.  The first shows the dark areas fairly well, especially on the reverse.  However, the fields are brightly cleaned.  The second one is much less black than it looks like in the photo.

I wonder why Heraclius chose this denomination?  Does it have a special relation to a Solidus?

Feel free to post any pre-700 Byzantine silver.

• Like 16

UnnaturalFickleDogwoodtwigborer-size_restricted.gif.464f6f1a3a1a53a35a6b4b743411d243.gif

b202.jpg.7a0ea8531769d0b7b43aae1dbb970ecc.jpgHeraclius
Constantinople
615 to 638 AD
AR Hexagram
Obvs: dd N hRACLIчS hЄRA CONSt, Heraclius and Constantine seated on double throne. Cross between them.
Revs: ςЄчS AδIчtA ROmANIS, Cross potent on globe above three steps. K to right.
19x23mm, 6.49g
Ref: DO 64, Sear 798

• Like 11

It’s an overstruck mess but I got it for $20 shipped and it has provenance at least to 1999 so I am not complaining.

Heraclius (with Heraclius Constantine), Byzantine Empire
AR hexagram
Obv: dd NN hERACLIUS Et hERA CONSt, Heraclius on left and Heraclius Constantine on right, seated facing on double-throne, each holding cross on globe in right hand, small cross above
Rev: dEUS AdIUtA ROmANIS, Cross-potent on globe above three steps; monogram to left, I in left field
Date: 615-638 AD
Mint: Constantinople
Ref: SB 801
22 mm wide, 6 gr.

[IMG]

• Like 14
  • Gasp 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

It took me a long time to get one of these too... they typically have a lot of problems or else they cost an arm and a leg.  I settled for this one which I liked for the toning and basically complete legends. No faces though!

image.jpeg.c37b040b90c6e60935d1425f25442277.jpeg

Here's what the DOC has to say about the value of the denomination, the reason behind it, and why it didn't last (only playing any significant economic role until the 680s):

image.jpeg.e0099c43d8037e6720a6abb3fac4a343.jpeg

49 minutes ago, ValiantKnight said:

but I got it for $20 shipped and it has provenance at least to 1999 so I am not complaining.

Wow, great deal!!

• Like 13

Here is my hexagram. I paid $26 for it and am quite happy with it even though it is pretty rough. 

635190948_HeracliusandHeracliusConstantineHexagramConstantinople.png.6068184e261bb5a562e44f162cad7fd6.png

Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine
Hexagram
Constantinople
23.4mm/6.54g
Obverse: dd NN hERACLIUS Et hERA CONSt, Heraclius on left and Heraclius Constantine on right, seated facing on double-throne, each holding cross on globe in right hand, small cross above
Reverse:  dEUS AdIUtA ROmANIS (sometimes ROIMANIS or ROMANIAS), Cross-potent on globe above three steps (no field marks)

• Like 9

Cool examples.  I especially like the toning on ValiantKnight's example.

I examined the coins while making the tags.  The scratches aren't noticeable under normal viewing conditions. It's only under a strong flash.

The rounder one has black at about 10 o'clock on the obverse and thick horn silver/tar? on the reverse (which the photo shows pretty well).

I might as well go back for two more this buy.

• Like 4

Does anyone have any theories about what the black adhesions are on the rounder coin?  It's pretty thick, on the reverse.

The photo (because of the lighting) is quite different than the coin in hand.  With the exceptions of the 'tar', 10 o'clock on the obverse and mostly beneath the cross on the reverse, with a healthy patch to the right of the cross.  What appears to be gray in the fields is really a brightly cleaned surface.  The scratches aren't really visible in normal viewing.  I would have little idea they're there had it not been for the picture.

I  also didn't know so many went outside the borders.  These are less worn than normal so I don't think they were buried after the 690's.  I chose the best ones, within the price range.  The real expensive ones from the same hoard weren't that much better.

Edited by Nerosmyfavorite68
  • Like 1

One of the interesting things about these hexagrams is that we know with a high degree of certainty where the bullion to strike these coins came from, something not common for most ancient or medieval coinage. Of course we know that most of the silver that the Athenians employed came from the famous Laurion mines in their own back yard. But the reason we know where most of the bullion came from for the hexagrams is from literary and historical sources which tell us. Heraclius and sons were up to their eyeballs in invaders and desperately needed cash, as in precious metals, not more bronze, to pay for the forces putting down the invaders, especially the Sassanian Persians. The Byzantine Church had already made contributions to the treasury but it was not enough. The Church was reluctant to contribute more. Heraclius 
persuaded, some would say extorted, more with vague threats of what he might do to get  the needed money if the Church did become more forthcoming. They did and handed over an enormous contribution in the form of ecclesiastical bric-a-brac  made mostly of silver. So, if you have one of these coins it may be from a candelabrum from Hagia Sophia. Here is my only hexagram, this one of his son, Constans II. It weighs 6.49 grams and has the common, DEUS ADJUTA ROMANIS and apparently a B officina mark on it.

Hexagram obv.jpg

hexagram rev.jpg

Edited by kevikens
spelling error
  • Like 11

On 1/27/2023 at 5:50 PM, Furryfrog02 said:

Here is my hexagram. I paid $26 for it and am quite happy with it even though it is pretty rough. 

635190948_HeracliusandHeracliusConstantineHexagramConstantinople.png.6068184e261bb5a562e44f162cad7fd6.png

Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine
Hexagram
Constantinople
23.4mm/6.54g
Obverse: dd NN hERACLIUS Et hERA CONSt, Heraclius on left and Heraclius Constantine on right, seated facing on double-throne, each holding cross on globe in right hand, small cross above
Reverse:  dEUS AdIUtA ROmANIS (sometimes ROIMANIS or ROMANIAS), Cross-potent on globe above three steps (no field marks)

Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news but I suspect this coin is fake. Between the extremely unusual obverse surfaces from 7-11 oclock to the mushy detailing around, it appears to be a cast. The rim of the obverse at 7 oclock also catches my eye.

The reverse doesn’t bode well either with similarly odd surfaces from 7-11. The design is mushy with a large bubble (?) at about 3 oclock to the right of the cross. The metal itself is also strange, being a powdery green? Something with the rim is again off, this time at 10 oclock on the reverse.

Considering all that, I would caution a refund

• Like 2
  • Mind blown 1

16 minutes ago, TheTrachyEnjoyer said:

Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news but I suspect this coin is fake. Between the extremely unusual obverse surfaces from 7-11 oclock to the mushy detailing around, it appears to be a cast. The rim of the obverse at 7 oclock also catches my eye.

The reverse doesn’t bode well either with similarly odd surfaces from 7-11. The design is mushy with a large bubble (?) at about 3 oclock to the right of the cross. The metal itself is also strange, being a powdery green? Something with the rim is again off, this time at 10 oclock on the reverse.

Considering all that, I would caution a refund

I will try to take better pictures. In hand, it is quite silvery. I was thinking perhaps there were some times of encrustations that had been dealt with, in a rather poor manner. They don't look like casting bubbles in hand either. The weight and diameter were within tolerance so I had a good feeling about it. 

I've had the coin for about a year and a half now so if it were to be fake, a refund would be out of the question. I purchased it from a seller who sold other, lower end, coins that were all legit so I didn't have a ton of concern about this one.

• Like 2

I love the hexagrams! Thanks, @Nerosmyfavorite68, for initiating a discussion of them. Wonderful photos and informative posts from so many of you! Here are some examples from my 7th century Byzantine silver menagerie. Their descriptions follow the group photo. All examples appear from left to right, and from the first, second, and third rows.  The mint is Constantinople unless otherwise noted. Dates are from Hahn, Moneta Imperii Byzantini  and Money of the Incipient Byzantine Empire.  In addition to the regular hexagrams, I’ve included a few ceremonial miliaresia; while these correspond on the obverse to specific classes of the hexagram, they differ from the regular coinage in having instead of the “Deus adiuta Romanis” reverse inscription, the cross flanked by palm fronds. They had no fixed relation to the regular coinage, being distributed to the populace on ceremonial occasions. As a result, their weights vary more than that of the hexagram; they are often lighter, and are not uncommonly holed for suspension. Below the description of the coins, for any readers still awake, is a short excursus on the denomination. I am indebted to my dear friend @Valentinian, for his suggestion to split up the text this way. 

1546694213_HexagramsNumisForums.jpg.71d1fc03421f641b4ad669bf5883a7ce.jpg

First Row

1.  Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine. 610-641.  Struck 635-37. 4.58 gr. 24 mm. 6 h.

Obv: ∂∂ NN ҺЄRACIIЧS Єτ ҺЄRA CONSτ P P A, Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine seated facing on double throne, each holding globus cruciger in right hand; cross above. On this later issue Heraclius Constantine is nearly the same size as his father.

Rev: ∂ЄЧS A∂IЧτA ROmANIS, cross potent on globe set on three steps. Heraclian monogram in left field; in right field, I.

Sear 801; H. 145; DO 67; BM 97-98; Yannopoulos 88-95.

Somewhat light weight, but BM 98 = 4.37 gr and a second BM specimen acquired in 1935 weighs 4.95 gr.

2. Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine. Ravenna, 615-32. 6.04 gr. 25 mm. 6 h.

Obv: DD NN HЄRΛCLIVS [Єτ] ЄRΛ CONST P P ΛVC, Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine seated facing on double throne, each holding globus cruciger in right hand; cross above. Heraclius Constantine is nearly the same size as his father.

Rev: DEVS ADIVTA ROmANIS, cross potent on globe set on three steps.

Sear 903; H. 153; DO 277; BNP 1-3; BM 440-41; Yannopoulos 390-400.

A Ravennate attribution is based upon style, suggestions of a wreath border on the reverse, and in particular, the letter forms. Note the Roman “D” and “V” for “δ” and “υ”.

3. Heraclius, Heraclius Constantine and Heraclonas.  610-641. Struck 637-41. 6.58 gr. 23 mm. 6 h.

Obv: Anepigraphic. Crowned and draped figures of Heraclonas, on left, Heraclius, in center, and Heraclius Constantine, on right, standing facing, each holding globus cruciger.

Rev: ∂ЄЧS A∂IЧτA ROmANIS, Cross potent on globe set on three steps.

Sear 803; H. 146; DO 68; BNP 16; BM 108; Yannopoulos 374-389. Ex CNG E-355, Lot: 668.

4. Heraclius, with Heraclius Constantine and Heraclonas. 610-641. Struck, 637-641 . Ceremonial Miliaresion, 3.78 gr. 21.2 mm. 6h.

Obv: All as previous coin. Anepigraphic. Crowned and draped figures of Heraclonas, on left, Heraclius, in center, and Heraclius Constantine, on right, standing facing, each holding globus cruciger.

Rev: Cross potent on base above globe and three steps; to either side, palm frond.

Sear 791; H. 131; BNP 1 

5. Constans II. 641-668. Struck 642-7.  6.78 gr. 27 mm. 6 hr. 

Obv: [∂] N CONSτAN - τINЧS PP AV, Crowned and draped facing beardless bust, holding globus cruciger

Rev: ∂ЄЧS A∂IЧτA ROmANIS , cross potent on globe set on three steps.

Sear 989; H. 142; DO 48; BNP 1; BM 79; R. 1540; Yannopoulos 1-37.

Second Row

1. Constans II and Constantine IV, 641-668. Struck 654-9. 5.09 gr. 24 mm. 5 hr. 

Obv:  ∂ N CONSτANτINЧS C CONSτANτ, crowned facing busts of Constans and Constantine, each wearing chlamys; cross above. Constans has a long beard; Constantine is smaller and beardless.

Rev: ∂ЄЧS A∂IЧτA ROmANIS, cross potent on globe set on three steps; B to right.

Sear 996; H. 150; DO 55; BNP 14-7; BM 87; R. 1600; Yannopoulos 122-164.

2. Constans II and Constantine IV. 641-668. Struck 659-68. Ceremonial Miliaresion, 4.21 gr 20.6 mm.  6h

Obv: Fragmentary inscription. Draped facing busts of Constans II, wearing long beard and plumed helmet, and Constantine IV, wearing crown; cross above. Constantine is nearly the same size as his father.

Rev: Cross potent on base above globe and three steps; to either side, palm frond.

Sear 987; H. 141; BM 89; T. 269   

3. Constans II, with Constantine IV, Heraclius, and Tiberius. 641-668. Struck 659-668.

6.88 gr. 22 mm 7h

Obv: [Fragmentary legend]: ∂ C. Draped facing busts of Constans II, wearing long beard and plumed helmet, and Constantine IV, wearing crown; cross above. Constantine is nearly the same size as his father.

Rev: [∂]ЄЧ A∂I[ЧτA ROmANIS], cross potent on globe set on three steps. Crowned and draped figures of Heraclius and Tiberius standing facing to either side, each holding globus cruciger.

Sear 998; H. 152; DO 57; BNP 18-9; BM 91-2; R. 1622; Yannopoulos 189-223.

Like the previous ceremonial issue, this class is characterized by fragmentary inscriptions on the obverse. On this example, the obverse legend consists of only 2 visible letters: ∂ C. Another feature of this class is the addition of Constantine IV’s brothers Heraclius and Tiberius on the reverse. This crowding of the reverse further reduces the reverse legend.

4.Constantine IV, with Heraclius and Tiberius. 668-685. Struck 669-74

6.03 gr. 22 mm. 6h

Obv: ∂ N CO - A - ЧS P. Helmeted, cuirassed beardless bust facing slightly right, holding spear.

Rev: [∂ЄЧS A∂IЧ]τ[A Rom]ANI.  Cross potent on globe set on three steps; crowned and draped figures of Heraclius and Tiberius standing facing to either side, each holding a globus cruciger.

Sear 1168; H. 63c; DO 23; BNP 2-6; BM 23-24; Yannopoulos 27-124

This class is characterized by continued fragmentary inscriptions, and as on the previous coin, being crowded by the addition of the standing figures on the reverse. Only 4 letters of the reverse inscription are present. Ex Hunt collection, Sotheby’s Dec. 5-6, 1990, lot 419.

5. Constantine IV.  Struck 674-85. Ceremonial Miliaresion, 4.42 gr. 21.3 mm. 6 hr.

Obv: ∂ N C. Helmeted, cuirassed bearded bust facing slightly right, holding spear.

Sear 1165; H. 61. As the previous example, the obverse inscription is fragmentary.

Third Row

With the reign of Justinian II (685-95 and second reign, 705-11) one can practically call the issuance of hexagrams as a distinct denomination at an end. They were issued in far fewer numbers than earlier in the century, and by the end of the century were primarily ceremonial in nature. The size and weight of these silver pieces no longer have any relationship to the hexagram standard and are simply off-metal strikes using solidus reverse dies, with the use of separate types appropriate to the silver denomination being discontinued. For the condition of several of them I apologize, but they are rare and one must be content with such scraps as fall from the table…

1.Justinian II, first reign, 685-95. Struck 692-5. 6.43 gr. 25 mm. 6h

Obv: IhS CRISTOS RЄX – RЄ [GNANTIЧM]. Facing bust of Christ Pantokrator; cross behind. He raises right hand and holds in left, Gospels.

Rev: D IUSTINI [ANUS SERU ChRISTI].  Justinian standing facing, wearing crown and loros, and holding akakia and cross potent set on two steps. Beneath, CONOP. Struck with solidus dies, although officina number not visible.

Sear 1259; H. 40; DO 17; Yannopoulos 3-12.

Justinian’s novel introduction of a Christ portrait on the obverse of his gold and silver coinage, relegating the emperor to the reverse, was not continued by his immediate successors, and disappeared entirely from the coinage during the Iconoclastic period (ca. 726 – 843); following the restoration of Orthodoxy by Theodora, widowed empress of Theophilos in Mar. 843, however, Justinian’s unprecedented innovation was to provide the pattern for Byzantine coinage down to the end of the empire.

2. Justinian II, second reign, 705-711. Struck 705. 3.43 gr. 22 mm. 7h

Obv: δ N IҺS CҺS RЄ - X RЄGNANTIЧM. Facing bust of Christ Pantokrator; cross behind. He raises right hand and holds in left, Gospels.

Rev: δ N IЧST – [INIAN]ЧS MЧLTЧS AN. Crowned facing bust of Justinian, holding in right hand cross potent set upon three steps and in left, a globus cruciger inscribed PAX.

Sear 1423; H. 39; DO [8] = BM (first reign) 28 = T. 76.

The portrait of Christ from Justinian’s second reign, with its short hair arranged in tight curls, is vastly different from the more familiar image of the Saviour that appears on precious metal coinage of the first reign. I am working on some notes relevant to this, and will share with my NumisForums friends later.

Holed, as is also the BM specimen, cited by Hahn in MIB III. A few non-holed specimens have entered the market, but as I noted above, I am but a dog eating the scraps that fall from the master’s table!

3. Anastasius II Artemius, 713-715. Struck 713 (?). 2.24 gr. 20 mm. 6h

Obv: δ N A[RTЄMIЧS A]NASTASI[ЧS MЧL] Crowned and diademed bust facing, wearing chlamys and holding globus cruciger in his right hand and akakia in his left.

Rev: [VIC]TORIA  [AVGЧ]. Cross potent on base and three steps. Beneath, CONOB.

Sear 1468A; H. 27; Yannopoulos 1-2.

The extreme rarity, the great weight differences in surviving specimens (ranging from less than 2.5 to over 6 gr) and the use of solidus dies indicate that this issue was not struck for regular circulation. It probably served a ceremonial role and may have been struck on the accession to power of Artemius in 713.

4. Theodosius III, 715-717 AD. Struck 715 (?). 2.27 gr. 19 mm. 4h

Obv: δ N THεΟδO SIЧS M[ЧL A']. ] Crowned and diademed bust facing, wearing loros, holding a globe surmounted by patriarchal cross in his right hand and akakia in his left.

Rev: VIC[TORIA  AVGЧ] A. Cross potent on base and three steps. Beneath, CONOB.

Sear 1491; H. 12. As noted above, the rarity, the weight differences in surviving specimens and the use of solidus dies indicate that this issue was not struck for regular circulation. It likely commemorated the accession to power of Theodosius in 715.

5. Leo III, 717-741. Struck, 717-720. Pattern silver Solidus or ceremonial issue. 2.56 gr. 24 mm. 6 h

Obv: [δΝ]Ο LЄO -N - PA MЧL. Helmeted and cuirassed bust facing, holding spear over shoulder and shield with horseman motif.

Rev: [VICTORIA A]VGЧ I. Cross potent set upon three steps. Beneath, CONOB.

Sear 1511; H. 23; T. 43 ; Füeg 2 (officina 10 not recorded). Naumann auction 102, lot 823, May 3, 2021.

From other specimens of this coin, officinae Δ, E, S, H, and Θ are known, so the selection of dies appears to have been random. This coin adds off. I to our population. The Naumann auction cat. describes the off. as “S”, while another example from the same dies (Rauch 82, lot 683) is there noted as “E?”. But the letter is more likely “I”. They were struck in two types, both with the same reverse, but one with a bust type (in civilian dress) known for solidi (SB 1510) and one which appears to have been rejected for the gold coinage (SB 1511 as this coin). Perhaps Grierson’s explanation of this coinage (from NumChron 1965, p. 184) is still the best. He notes this coin: “...does not correspond to the regular solidus type of Leo’s early years, which consists of a facing bust wearing a chlamys and holding a globus cruciger and an akakia. It should probably be interpreted as a pattern for a solidus that was not approved for the gold but was set aside as a model for the copper [and was based on the portraits of Constantine IV]. The use of solidus dies for a silver ‘coin’ is easily explained. During the three decades c. 690-c. 720, in the interval between the disappearance of the thick and heavy Heraclian hexagram and the introduction of the thin and light Isaurian miliaresion, [a story for another day] the silver ‘coins’ that were needed for customary distributions were frequently struck with the dies normally used for solidi, or, as in this case, with a die prepared originally for solidi but not actually used for them.”

Background notes to the denomination.

Despite the regular and plentiful series of silver coinage in the mid-to late 4th century Roman world, silver coinage appeared only sporadically in the East during the 5th - 6th centuries. While the reconquest of portions of the western empire under Justinian (527-65) resulted in the continuance of regular issues of fractional silver that had circulated in the territories formerly ruled by Germanic kings, silver coinage in the east only appeared infrequently and assumed primarily a ceremonial role. A notable exception to this was the appearance of the hexagram during the first decades of the reign of Heraclius (610-41), which was struck extensively during his reign and those of his immediate successors.

Heraclius’ institution of the hexagram is traditionally linked to a passage in the Chronicon Paschale (a Byzantine world history based on earlier sources, probably compiled in the 630s) for the year 615. However, analysis of the surviving manuscripts shows that though all texts give the date 615, the passage had originally belonged to the text under the year 626. (K. Ericsson, “Revising a date in the Chronicon Paschale” in Jahrbuch der Österreichischen Byzantinischen Gesellschaft 17(1968), 17-28).  Because seldom do our surviving ancient texts specifically refer to coin denominations, it is worth while to quote it in full: “In this year the silver hexagram coin was introduced by law; and during the same year official salaries were paid in it, at half the former rate.” The bulk of his issues appears to belong to the period after 621, when the church surrendered its silver to the emperor’s use in the crisis years of the Persian War. Of this, the 8th c. historian Theophanes the Confessor in his Chronographia entry for 620/1 writes: “Being short of funds, he [Heraclius] took as loan the moneys of religious establishments and he also took the candelabra and other vessels of the holy ministry of the Great Church, which he minted into a great quantity [of coin].” At a theoretical weight of 6.82 gr. = 6 scruples (εξι γραμματα), hence its name, the new coin was heavier than any other regular imperial Roman silver coin, and as Grierson notes in the DOC 2:1, p. 17 it “represents in some sort a revival of the ancient didrachm”. However, the weights of individual specimens vary widely (the Heraclian coins in Dumbarton Oaks range between 6.77 gr. and 5.02 gr., while those of Constans II range from 6.79 gr. – 4.29 gr. and similar variations obtain for the coinage of their successors), and in large transactions the coin probably passed by weight, not tale.  Examples are common under Heraclius and Constans II, but become scarcer under Constantine IV, and under Justinian II and his successors, rarer still, in effect declining to the status of a ceremonial coin. A gold – silver reform by the Umayyad caliph ‘Abd al-Malik in the 690s involved a revised gold – silver ratio of 1:14, from the traditional 1:18, resulting in a silver drain from the empire in exchange for gold, accounting for the present rarity of the later hexagrams today. (DOC 2:1, p. 18). If one can make any generalization about the hexagrams, it is that they were struck carelessly, one might even not unfairly say slovenly, a trait they share with the ceremonial silver of the same period. The flans are often irregular and not well struck up. As a result, the devices are often unclear and a complete legend is often not present.

In the 80-odd years of their issuance, the coins have in common on the obverse the image of the emperor (as well as accompanying figures of his co-Augusti children or brothers when appropriate), with Latin inscriptions naming the rulers.  As will be seen, the coinage of Justinian II breaks from this tradition. From the later years of Constans II, the legends on both the obverse and reverse tend to become fragmentary. The reverse type is a cross on globe surmounting steps with the inscription “Deus adiuta Romanis”. Later issues of Constans II and Constantine IV also include the standing figures of the co-rulers Heraclius and Tiberius, sons of Constans II and brothers to Constantine IV.

In addition to the innovative nature of its weight, a remarkable aspect of this coin is the reverse inscription “Deus adiuta Romanis”, as noted above. This Latin phrase, “God, help the Romans” has been usually interpreted as a desperate, direct appeal for divine aid in a time of mounting and overwhelming military reverses in the final Romano-Persian war of 602-628. (In fact, I recently selected for my university library a new book on this conflict, with the title The last great war of antiquity.) The overthrow of Maurice Tiberius by Phokas in 602 provided a convenient casus belli for Chosroes II to invade Roman territory. Initially the Romans suffered a series of catastrophic reverses, first being driven from Northern Syria, followed by a chain of losses of wealthy cities of the Levant and Egypt, such as Antioch in 611, Damascus, in 613, Jerusalem in 614, and Alexandria in 619. The loss of revenue and its dispersion to Ctesiphon of these cities, which had been the bedrock of Roman rule in the east for centuries was nearly the deathblow to the Roman Empire. In 626, the Persians laid siege to Constantinople itself. However, in a subsequent stunning reversal of fortune, the Romans were able to mount an offensive into the heart of Persia, finally toppling Chosroes II from power in 628. Although peace was restored, both great empires were exhausted, leaving the Romans to be threatened in the 630s by an even more dangerous foe…

However, in his article “A note reconsidering the message of Heraclius’ silver hexagram, circa AD 615” in Byzantinische Zeitschrift 112 (2019), 221-232, Douglas C. Whalin offers an alternate explanation to the traditional interpretation of frantic appeal for divine aid in this novel inscription, a message of strength and defiance. Whalin cites passages from the anonymous Strategikon, a late 6th-early 7th c. military manual usually attributed to the reign of Maurice Tiberius (582-602), or no later than the end of Phokas’ rule (before 610). In addition to the usual military adages such as cavalry training and formations, sections on strategy, attacks, ambushes, and sieges, the work conveys such instructions on what prayers are to be offered on the day of battle. And in a passage very pertinent to the language of the hexagram reverse, just before the frontline troops are about to engage the enemy: “the command is given: ‘Ready’ [παρατι – parati]. Right after this, another officer shouts: ‘Help us’ [αδιουτα – adiuta]. In unison everyone responds loudly and clearly, ‘Oh, God!’ [δεους – deus].” Of linguistic interest is that the manual, naturally in Greek by this time, preserves fossilized Latin commands, as we see in the Latin inscription of the hexagram. A later example of such fossilization of Latin in specific contexts is found in the 10th-C. treatise of Constantine VII Porphyrogennetos that treats court ceremony: De ceremoniis aulae byzantinae.

The close parallel of the message of the reverse inscription with the explicit commands set out in the rules of engagement according to the Strategikon lends weight to the theory that this remarkable legend is a statement of defiance and strength to bolster the army in its life and death struggle with the Persians. This is corroborated by the archaeological record. Hoard evidence indicates that these coins were primarily circulated as military payments, often to foreign allies. Very few examples of hexagrams have been unearthed within imperial territories; most hoards containing hexagrams are found outside the Roman frontiers – the steppes, the Balkans, and Transcaucasia.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1
  • Mind blown 2
  • Heart Eyes 3

13 minutes ago, voulgaroktonou said:

I love the hexagrams! Thanks, @Nerosmyfavorite68, for initiating a discussion of them. Wonderful photos and informative posts from so many of you! Here are some examples from my 7th century Byzantine silver menagerie. Their descriptions follow the group photo. All examples appear from left to right, and from the first, second, and third rows.  The mint is Constantinople unless otherwise noted. Dates are from Hahn, Moneta Imperii Byzantini  and Money of the Incipient Byzantine Empire.  In addition to the regular hexagrams, I’ve included a few ceremonial miliaresia; while these correspond on the obverse to specific classes of the hexagram, they differ from the regular coinage in having instead of the “Deus adiuta Romanis” reverse inscription, the cross flanked by palm fronds. They had no fixed relation to the regular coinage, being distributed to the populace on ceremonial occasions. As a result, their weights vary more than that of the hexagram; they are often lighter, and are not uncommonly holed for suspension. Below the description of the coins, for any readers still awake, is a short excursus on the denomination. I am indebted to my dear friend @Valentinian, for his suggestion to split up the text this way. 

1546694213_HexagramsNumisForums.jpg.71d1fc03421f641b4ad669bf5883a7ce.jpg

First Row

1.  Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine. 610-641.  Struck 635-37. 4.58 gr. 24 mm. 6 h.

Obv: ∂∂ NN ҺЄRACIIЧS Єτ ҺЄRA CONSτ P P A, Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine seated facing on double throne, each holding globus cruciger in right hand; cross above. On this later issue Heraclius Constantine is nearly the same size as his father.

Rev: ∂ЄЧS A∂IЧτA ROmANIS, cross potent on globe set on three steps. Heraclian monogram in left field; in right field, I.

Sear 801; H. 145; DO 67; BM 97-98; Yannopoulos 88-95.

Somewhat light weight, but BM 98 = 4.37 gr and a second BM specimen acquired in 1935 weighs 4.95 gr.

2. Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine. Ravenna, 615-32. 6.04 gr. 25 mm. 6 h.

Obv: DD NN HЄRΛCLIVS [Єτ] ЄRΛ CONST P P ΛVC, Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine seated facing on double throne, each holding globus cruciger in right hand; cross above. Heraclius Constantine is nearly the same size as his father.

Rev: DEVS ADIVTA ROmANIS, cross potent on globe set on three steps.

Sear 903; H. 153; DO 277; BNP 1-3; BM 440-41; Yannopoulos 390-400.

A Ravennate attribution is based upon style, suggestions of a wreath border on the reverse, and in particular, the letter forms. Note the Roman “D” and “V” for “δ” and “υ”.

3. Heraclius, Heraclius Constantine and Heraclonas.  610-641. Struck 637-41. 6.58 gr. 23 mm. 6 h.

Obv: Anepigraphic. Crowned and draped figures of Heraclonas, on left, Heraclius, in center, and Heraclius Constantine, on right, standing facing, each holding globus cruciger.

Rev: ∂ЄЧS A∂IЧτA ROmANIS, Cross potent on globe set on three steps.

Sear 803; H. 146; DO 68; BNP 16; BM 108; Yannopoulos 374-389. Ex CNG E-355, Lot: 668.

4. Heraclius, with Heraclius Constantine and Heraclonas. 610-641. Struck, 637-641 . Ceremonial Miliaresion, 3.78 gr. 21.2 mm. 6h.

Obv: All as previous coin. Anepigraphic. Crowned and draped figures of Heraclonas, on left, Heraclius, in center, and Heraclius Constantine, on right, standing facing, each holding globus cruciger.

Sear 791; H. 131; BNP 1 

5. Constans II. 641-668. Struck 642-7.  6.78 gr. 27 mm. 6 hr. 

Obv: [∂] N CONSτAN - τINЧS PP AV, Crowned and draped facing beardless bust, holding globus cruciger

Rev: ∂ЄЧS A∂IЧτA ROmANIS , cross potent on globe set on three steps.

Sear 989; H. 142; DO 48; BNP 1; BM 79; R. 1540; Yannopoulos 1-37.

Second Row

1. Constans II and Constantine IV, 641-668. Struck 654-9. 5.09 gr. 24 mm. 5 hr. 

Obv:  ∂ N CONSτANτINЧS C CONSτANτ, crowned facing busts of Constans and Constantine, each wearing chlamys; cross above. Constans has a long beard; Constantine is smaller and beardless.

Rev: ∂ЄЧS A∂IЧτA ROmANIS, cross potent on globe set on three steps; B to right.

Sear 996; H. 150; DO 55; BNP 14-7; BM 87; R. 1600; Yannopoulos 122-164.

2. Constans II and Constantine IV. 641-668. Struck 659-68. Ceremonial Miliaresion, 4.21 gr 20.6 mm.  6h

Obv: Fragmentary inscription. Draped facing busts of Constans II, wearing long beard and plumed helmet, and Constantine IV, wearing crown; cross above. Constantine is nearly the same size as his father.

Sear 987; H. 141; BM 89; T. 269   

3. Constans II, with Constantine IV, Heraclius, and Tiberius. 641-668. Struck 659-668.

6.88 gr. 22 mm 7h

Obv: [Fragmentary legend]: ∂ C. Draped facing busts of Constans II, wearing long beard and plumed helmet, and Constantine IV, wearing crown; cross above. Constantine is nearly the same size as his father.

Rev: [∂]ЄЧ A∂I[ЧτA ROmANIS], cross potent on globe set on three steps. Crowned and draped figures of Heraclius and Tiberius standing facing to either side, each holding globus cruciger.

Sear 998; H. 152; DO 57; BNP 18-9; BM 91-2; R. 1622; Yannopoulos 189-223.

Like the previous ceremonial issue, this class is characterized by fragmentary inscriptions on the obverse. On this example, the obverse legend consists of only 2 visible letters: ∂ C. Another feature of this class is the addition of Constantine IV’s brothers Heraclius and Tiberius on the reverse. This crowding of the reverse further reduces the reverse legend.

4.Constantine IV, with Heraclius and Tiberius. 668-685. Struck 669-74

6.03 gr. 22 mm. 6h

Obv: ∂ N CO - A - ЧS P. Helmeted, cuirassed beardless bust facing slightly right, holding spear.

Rev: [∂ЄЧS A∂IЧ]τ[A Rom]ANI.  Cross potent on globe set on three steps; crowned and draped figures of Heraclius and Tiberius standing facing to either side, each holding a globus cruciger.

Sear 1168; H. 63c; DO 23; BNP 2-6; BM 23-24; Yannopoulos 27-124

This class is characterized by continued fragmentary inscriptions, and as on the previous coin, being crowded by the addition of the standing figures on the reverse. Only 4 letters of the reverse inscription are present. Ex Hunt collection, Sotheby’s Dec. 5-6, 1990, lot 419.

5. Constantine IV.  Struck 674-85. Ceremonial Miliaresion, 4.42 gr. 21.3 mm. 6 hr.

Obv: ∂ N C. Helmeted, cuirassed bearded bust facing slightly right, holding spear.

Sear 1165; H. 61. As the previous example, the obverse inscription is fragmentary.

Third Row

With the reign of Justinian II (685-95 and second reign, 705-11) one can practically call the issuance of hexagrams as a distinct denomination at an end. They were issued in far fewer numbers than earlier in the century, and by the end of the century were primarily ceremonial in nature. The size and weight of these silver pieces no longer have any relationship to the hexagram standard and are simply off-metal strikes using solidus reverse dies, with the use of separate types appropriate to the silver denomination being discontinued. For the condition of several of them I apologize, but they are rare and one must be content with such scraps as fall from the table…

1.Justinian II, first reign, 685-95. Struck 692-5. 6.43 gr. 25 mm. 6h

Obv: IhS CRISTOS RЄX – RЄ [GNANTIЧM]. Facing bust of Christ Pantokrator; cross behind. He raises right hand and holds in left, Gospels.

Rev: D IUSTINI [ANUS SERU ChRISTI].  Justinian standing facing, wearing crown and loros, and holding akakia and cross potent set on two steps. Beneath, CONOP. Struck with solidus dies, although officina number not visible.

Sear 1259; H. 40; DO 17; Yannopoulos 3-12.

Justinian’s novel introduction of a Christ portrait on the obverse of his gold and silver coinage, relegating the emperor to the reverse, was not continued by his immediate successors, and disappeared entirely from the coinage during the Iconoclastic period (ca. 726 – 843); following the restoration of Orthodoxy by Theodora, widowed empress of Theophilos in Mar. 843, however, Justinian’s unprecedented innovation was to provide the pattern for Byzantine coinage down to the end of the empire.

2. Justinian II, second reign, 705-711. Struck 705. 3.43 gr. 22 mm. 7h

Obv: δ N IҺS CҺS RЄ - X RЄGNANTIЧM. Facing bust of Christ Pantokrator; cross behind. He raises right hand and holds in left, Gospels.

Rev: δ N IЧST – [INIAN]ЧS MЧLTЧS AN. Crowned facing bust of Justinian, holding in right hand cross potent set upon three steps and in left, a globus cruciger inscribed PAX.

Sear 1423; H. 39; DO [8] = BM (first reign) 28 = T. 76.

The portrait of Christ from Justinian’s second reign, with its short hair arranged in tight curls, is vastly different from the more familiar image of the Saviour that appears on precious metal coinage of the first reign. I am working on some notes relevant to this, and will share with my NumisForums friends later.

Holed, as is also the BM specimen, cited by Hahn in MIB III. A few non-holed specimens have entered the market, but as I noted above, I am but a dog eating the scraps that fall from the master’s table!

3. Anastasius II Artemius, 713-715. Struck 713 (?). 2.24 gr. 20 mm. 6h

Obv: δ N A[RTЄMIЧS A]NASTASI[ЧS MЧL] Crowned and diademed bust facing, wearing chlamys and holding globus cruciger in his right hand and akakia in his left.

Rev: [VIC]TORIA  [AVGЧ]. Cross potent on base and three steps. Beneath, CONOB.

Sear 1468A; H. 27; Yannopoulos 1-2.

The extreme rarity, the great weight differences in surviving specimens (ranging from less than 2.5 to over 6 gr) and the use of solidus dies indicate that this issue was not struck for regular circulation. It probably served a ceremonial role and may have been struck on the accession to power of Artemius in 713.

4. Theodosius III, 715-717 AD. Struck 715 (?). 2.27 gr. 19 mm. 4h

Obv: δ N THεΟδO SIЧS M[ЧL A']. ] Crowned and diademed bust facing, wearing loros, holding a globe surmounted by patriarchal cross in his right hand and akakia in his left.

Rev: VIC[TORIA  AVGЧ] A. Cross potent on base and three steps. Beneath, CONOB.

Sear 1491; H. 12. As noted above, the rarity, the weight differences in surviving specimens and the use of solidus dies indicate that this issue was not struck for regular circulation. It likely commemorated the accession to power of Theodosius in 715.

5. Leo III, 717-741. Struck, 717-720. Pattern silver Solidus or ceremonial issue. 2.56 gr. 24 mm. 6 h

Obv: [δΝ]Ο LЄO -N - PA MЧL. Helmeted and cuirassed bust facing, holding spear over shoulder and shield with horseman motif.

Rev: [VICTORIA A]VGЧ I. Cross potent set upon three steps. Beneath, CONOB.

Sear 1511; H. 23; T. 43 ; Füeg 2 (officina 10 not recorded). Naumann auction 102, lot 823, May 3, 2021.

From other specimens of this coin, officinae Δ, E, S, H, and Θ are known, so the selection of dies appears to have been random. This coin adds off. I to our population. The Naumann auction cat. describes the off. as “S”, while another example from the same dies (Rauch 82, lot 683) is there noted as “E?”. But the letter is more likely “I”. They were struck in two types, both with the same reverse, but one with a bust type (in civilian dress) known for solidi (SB 1510) and one which appears to have been rejected for the gold coinage (SB 1511 as this coin). Perhaps Grierson’s explanation of this coinage (from NumChron 1965, p. 184) is still the best. He notes this coin: “...does not correspond to the regular solidus type of Leo’s early years, which consists of a facing bust wearing a chlamys and holding a globus cruciger and an akakia. It should probably be interpreted as a pattern for a solidus that was not approved for the gold but was set aside as a model for the copper [and was based on the portraits of Constantine IV]. The use of solidus dies for a silver ‘coin’ is easily explained. During the three decades c. 690-c. 720, in the interval between the disappearance of the thick and heavy Heraclian hexagram and the introduction of the thin and light Isaurian miliaresion, [a story for another day] the silver ‘coins’ that were needed for customary distributions were frequently struck with the dies normally used for solidi, or, as in this case, with a die prepared originally for solidi but not actually used for them.”

Background notes to the denomination.

Despite the regular and plentiful series of silver coinage in the mid-to late 4th century Roman world, silver coinage appeared only sporadically in the East during the 5th - 6th centuries. While the reconquest of portions of the western empire under Justinian (527-65) resulted in the continuance of regular issues of fractional silver that had circulated in the territories formerly ruled by Germanic kings, silver coinage in the east only appeared infrequently and assumed primarily a ceremonial role. A notable exception to this was the appearance of the hexagram during the first decades of the reign of Heraclius (610-41), which was struck extensively during his reign and those of his immediate successors.

Heraclius’ institution of the hexagram is traditionally linked to a passage in the Chronicon Paschale (a Byzantine world history based on earlier sources, probably compiled in the 630s) for the year 615. However, analysis of the surviving manuscripts shows that though all texts give the date 615, the passage had originally belonged to the text under the year 626. (K. Ericsson, “Revising a date in the Chronicon Paschale” in Jahrbuch der Österreichischen Byzantinischen Gesellschaft 17(1968), 17-28).  Because seldom do our surviving ancient texts specifically refer to coin denominations, it is worth while to quote it in full: “In this year the silver hexagram coin was introduced by law; and during the same year official salaries were paid in it, at half the former rate.” The bulk of his issues appears to belong to the period after 621, when the church surrendered its silver to the emperor’s use in the crisis years of the Persian War. Of this, the 8th c. historian Theophanes the Confessor in his Chronographia entry for 620/1 writes: “Being short of funds, he [Heraclius] took as loan the moneys of religious establishments and he also took the candelabra and other vessels of the holy ministry of the Great Church, which he minted into a great quantity [of coin].” At a theoretical weight of 6.82 gr. = 6 scruples (εξι γραμματα), hence its name, the new coin was heavier than any other regular imperial Roman silver coin, and as Grierson notes in the DOC 2:1, p. 17 it “represents in some sort a revival of the ancient didrachm”. However, the weights of individual specimens vary widely (the Heraclian coins in Dumbarton Oaks range between 6.77 gr. and 5.02 gr., while those of Constans II range from 6.79 gr. – 4.29 gr. and similar variations obtain for the coinage of their successors), and in large transactions the coin probably passed by weight, not tale.  Examples are common under Heraclius and Constans II, but become scarcer under Constantine IV, and under Justinian II and his successors, rarer still, in effect declining to the status of a ceremonial coin. A gold – silver reform by the Umayyad caliph ‘Abd al-Malik in the 690s involved a revised gold – silver ratio of 1:14, from the traditional 1:18, resulting in a silver drain from the empire in exchange for gold, accounting for the present rarity of the later hexagrams today. (DOC 2:1, p. 18). If one can make any generalization about the hexagrams, it is that they were struck carelessly, one might even not unfairly say slovenly, a trait they share with the ceremonial silver of the same period. The flans are often irregular and not well struck up. As a result, the devices are often unclear and a complete legend is often not present.

In the 80-odd years of their issuance, the coins have in common on the obverse the image of the emperor (as well as accompanying figures of his co-Augusti children or brothers when appropriate), with Latin inscriptions naming the rulers.  As will be seen, the coinage of Justinian II breaks from this tradition. From the later years of Constans II, the legends on both the obverse and reverse tend to become fragmentary. The reverse type is a cross on globe surmounting steps with the inscription “Deus adiuta Romanis”. Later issues of Constans II and Constantine IV also include the standing figures of the co-rulers Heraclius and Tiberius, sons of Constans II and brothers to Constantine IV.

In addition to the innovative nature of its weight, a remarkable aspect of this coin is the reverse inscription “Deus adiuta Romanis”, as noted above. This Latin phrase, “God, help the Romans” has been usually interpreted as a desperate, direct appeal for divine aid in a time of mounting and overwhelming military reverses in the final Romano-Persian war of 602-628. (In fact, I recently selected for my university library a new book on this conflict, with the title The last great war of antiquity.) The overthrow of Maurice Tiberius by Phokas in 602 provided a convenient casus belli for Chosroes II to invade Roman territory. Initially the Romans suffered a series of catastrophic reverses, first being driven from Northern Syria, followed by a chain of losses of wealthy cities of the Levant and Egypt, such as Antioch in 611, Damascus, in 613, Jerusalem in 614, and Alexandria in 619. The loss of revenue and its dispersion to Ctesiphon of these cities, which had been the bedrock of Roman rule in the east for centuries was nearly the deathblow to the Roman Empire. In 626, the Persians laid siege to Constantinople itself. However, in a subsequent stunning reversal of fortune, the Romans were able to mount an offensive into the heart of Persia, finally toppling Chosroes II from power in 628. Although peace was restored, both great empires were exhausted, leaving the Romans to be threatened in the 630s by an even more dangerous foe…

However, in his article “A note reconsidering the message of Heraclius’ silver hexagram, circa AD 615” in Byzantinische Zeitschrift 112 (2019), 221-232, Douglas C. Whalin offers an alternate explanation to the traditional interpretation of frantic appeal for divine aid in this novel inscription, a message of strength and defiance. Whalin cites passages from the anonymous Strategikon, a late 6th-early 7th c. military manual usually attributed to the reign of Maurice Tiberius (582-602), or no later than the end of Phokas’ rule (before 610). In addition to the usual military adages such as cavalry training and formations, sections on strategy, attacks, ambushes, and sieges, the work conveys such instructions on what prayers are to be offered on the day of battle. And in a passage very pertinent to the language of the hexagram reverse, just before the frontline troops are about to engage the enemy: “the command is given: ‘Ready’ [παρατι – parati]. Right after this, another officer shouts: ‘Help us’ [αδιουτα – adiuta]. In unison everyone responds loudly and clearly, ‘Oh, God!’ [δεους – deus].” Of linguistic interest is that the manual, naturally in Greek by this time, preserves fossilized Latin commands, as we see in the Latin inscription of the hexagram. A later example of such fossilization of Latin in specific contexts is found in the 10th-C. treatise of Constantine VII Porphyrogennetos that treats court ceremony: De ceremoniis aulae byzantinae.

The close parallel of the message of the reverse inscription with the explicit commands set out in the rules of engagement according to the Strategikon lends weight to the theory that this remarkable legend is a statement of defiance and strength to bolster the army in its life and death struggle with the Persians. This is corroborated by the archaeological record. Hoard evidence indicates that these coins were primarily circulated as military payments, often to foreign allies. Very few examples of hexagrams have been unearthed within imperial territories; most hoards containing hexagrams are found outside the Roman frontiers – the steppes, the Balkans, and Transcaucasia.

I am very impressed! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hrefn said:

@voulgaroktonoukudos on your collection of hexagrams, and my earnest thanks for your scholarly post.  I am delighted with the connection between the Deus adiuta Romanis legend and military commands.  Fourteen centuries later, and the emotional impact, on me at least, is preserved.  

Thank you for your kind words!

41 minutes ago, kevikens said:

Amazing. I never knew there were so many varieties of the hexagram or that they were issued frequently as a kind of commiserative coin and that the holed coins were common. Thanks for sharing.

You're most welcome. I don't know whether there has been a hoard of 7th. c. ceremonial silver discovered, but in the past few years I've seen more of them on the market (although they remain very rare) than I have in the past 50 years of looking.

That's quite a splendid array of Hexagrams, voulgaroknou!  The Heraclius from Ravenna is my favorite, Ravenna being my favorite mint.

My hexagrams are pretty humble compared to yours, but do you happen to have any theories what the black gunk on the reverse of the rounder Heraclius is?  About what period were the K Hexagrams of Sear 798 minted?  A few coins from that dealer's hoard exhibit the thick black adhesions.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, quant.geek said:

@voulgaroktonouyour collection of byzantine coins never ceases to amaze me!  Just wow!

@quant.geek, you are most kind. I'm so grateful for these online fora that allow us all to become friends and learn from each other! (even if I am too technologically challenged to know how to use them!)

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 4:36 AM, Hrefn said:

@voulgaroktonoukudos on your collection of hexagrams, and my earnest thanks for your scholarly post.  I am delighted with the connection between the Deus adiuta Romanis legend and military commands.  Fourteen centuries later, and the emotional impact, on me at least, is preserved.  

You are very kind. Thank you.

10 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

That's quite a splendid array of Hexagrams, voulgaroknou!  The Heraclius from Ravenna is my favorite, Ravenna being my favorite mint.

My hexagrams are pretty humble compared to yours, but do you happen to have any theories what the black gunk on the reverse of the rounder Heraclius is?  About what period were the K Hexagrams of Sear 798 minted?  A few coins from that dealer's hoard exhibit the thick black adhesions.

Dear @Nerosmyfavorite68, I believe that black gunk is horn silver. I was very happy to get that Ravenna Heraclius. They are very rare; it had been mis-attributed to Constantinople, hence I could afford it. I'll review the literature to see whether one can narrow down the dating of the class with the "K" and get back with you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!  I'll echo quant.geek's sentiments about your lineup of coins, 'just wow!'

I didn't know that horn silver could be that thick.  I learned something new!  One doesn't usually see heavy horn silver on examples in the market. Perhaps the horn silver was zapped off in most cases?

I also deeply enjoyed the writeup and the origins of the denomination.

The Ravenna example is just splendid.  I had to be happy with a Sear 1445 Ravenna AE of Justinian II, which the post office promptly tried to destroy.

It's really delightful to see you're still doing well.  I don't know if you still remember me, but I was a student during the late 1990's. I remember going through that HJB bag of half (or trimmed) trachea, and was delighted when I was able to purchase one.  Is that Italian coffee table book about patinas still a part of the library collection?  I remember constantly perusing that tome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Thanks!  I'll echo quant.geek's sentiments about your lineup of coins, 'just wow!'

I didn't know that horn silver could be that thick.  I learned something new!  One doesn't usually see heavy horn silver on examples in the market. Perhaps the horn silver was zapped off in most cases?

I also deeply enjoyed the writeup and the origins of the denomination.

The Ravenna example is just splendid.  I had to be happy with a Sear 1445 Ravenna AE of Justinian II, which the post office promptly tried to destroy.

It's really delightful to see you're still doing well.  I don't know if you still remember me, but I was a student during the late 1990's. I remember going through that HJB bag of half (or trimmed) trachea, and was delighted when I was able to purchase one.  Is that Italian coffee table book about patinas still a part of the library collection?  I remember constantly perusing that tome.

You were a student at UC in the 1990s? Can you give you your name? Is that permitted on numisforums? As far as a more precise dating of the hexagrams with the "K"  to right of the cross on steps, only Hahn dates it beyond the usual 615-638 range as in DO, etc. Hahn would put its introduction to 625 (p. 98 of MIB III).

• Like 1