Coins with a story: show and tell!

Coinmaster

Hi all,
besides the sometimes beautiful portraits on Roman coins, I think the stories they tell are as interesting/relevant for a collector as well.
Like the conquest-coins of Trajan (https://www.coinworld.com/news/world-coins/trajan_s-major-conquests--ancients-today.html), the travel-coins of Hadrian (https://coinweek.com/ancient-coins/coinweek-ancient-coin-series-travels-with-hadrian/https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/2789/Ancient-Hadrian-coins/ + https://followinghadrian.com/hadriantravels/) or in general the buildings on Roman coins (http://www.romancoins.info/VIC-Buildings.html).

I'm curious about the coins you bought because of the stories behind it. Show and tell please, thanks!
I really like this coin from Nero, with the ships of grain from the Ostia harbor with the message: because of me you all have bread to eat! Unfortunately beyond my budget...
(source: https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_R-6445 and see also: https://www.ostia-antica.org/portus/portus-intro.htm).

Nero.jpg

Edited by Coinmaster
  • Like 15
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, Coinmaster said:

Hi all,
besides the sometimes beautiful portraits on Roman on coins, I think the stories they tell are as interesting/relevant for a collector as well.
Like the conquest-coins of Trajan (https://www.coinworld.com/news/world-coins/trajan_s-major-conquests--ancients-today.html), the travel-coins of Hadrian (https://coinweek.com/ancient-coins/coinweek-ancient-coin-series-travels-with-hadrian/https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/2789/Ancient-Hadrian-coins/ + https://followinghadrian.com/hadriantravels/) or in general the buildings on Roman coins (http://www.romancoins.info/VIC-Buildings.html).

I'm curious about the coins you bought because of the stories behind it. Show and tell please, thanks!
I really like this coin from Nero, with the ships of grain from the Ostia harbor with the message: because of me you all have bread to eat! Unfortunately beyond my budget...
(source: https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_R-6445 and see also: https://www.ostia-antica.org/portus/portus-intro.htm).

Nero.jpg

The Port of Ostia story actually begins with Claudius, who started the project but didn't live to see it completed.  Nero, acting like a true politician, took full credit for the completion of Ostia even though it was Claudius' foresight that initiated the work.

If you ever travel to Italy, Ancient Ostia is one of the great ruins to visit -- in my book, as interesting as Pompeii and Herculaneum.  Rather than being destroyed by natural forces, Ostia was gradually abandoned when it silted over and Rome's main port was moved to a new location a few miles away.  Thus many of Ostia's ruins remain in fabulous shape other than the fact that the marble facades and other building materials were looted and reused on other buildings.

One of my favorite parts of the city was the merchants' square, with mosaics illustrating their individual services in lieu of attempting to translate Latin into a myriad of other languages.  I especially like this mosaic illustrating a drayage service via a picture of a worker jumping from ship to ship:

image.jpeg.ca14fcde3d29daf33beac2af99fa6c17.jpeg

I'm fortunate enough to own a version of Nero's Port of Ostia sestertius:

image.jpeg.71b6bfba5cb8ac345002d19c9220491d.jpeg

NERO
AE Sestertius (26.56 g.)  Lugdunum circa 65 A.D.  RIC 441
NERO CLAVD CAESAR AVG GER P M TR P IMP P P Laureate head of Nero left. Rev. PORT AVG Port of Ostia, river Tiber reclining below.

I'm looking forward to seeing other collectors here post their "story" coins.

• Like 21
  • Heart Eyes 7

This coin also shows a port so to continue the story of harbours specifically. this is  a coin of the Greek city of Zankle (lit. 'sickle') which was founded in the 8th century BC on the spot of an older Sicel settlement.

Its name was taken from the shape of its harbor, which is protected from the open sea by a peninsula in the shape of a sickle and which the coin depicts around most of the outside of the coin. The city (now called  Messina) prospered due to its strategic location on the important strait between Sicily and Italy. It's still a main route, even with a train ferry from Rome (I don't recommend it if you are in a hurry!)

In case of interest the  reason  it is called Dankle on the coin is as In the epichoric script used by the Zanklaians, the letter zeta (Z) was regularly written as D

00027q00-orig_orig.jpg

• Like 19

Here is another Nero Sestertius that tells a historic story:

image.png.b46a7ec7b16d5df1c820af45c85532ff.png

NERO CLAVD CAESAR AVG GER P M TR P IMP P P - Laureate head right
PACE P R TERRA MARIQ PARTA IANVM CLVSIT - Temple with doors to the left
Sestertius, Rome 65 aD
32,42 mm / 22,85 gr
RIC - , BMCRE 158, Giard 371, Cayon 165

The reverse of this sestertius from the Rome mint depicts the ‘Twin Janus’ (ianus geminus) and relates to the achievements of the celebrated Roman general Gnaeus Domitius Corbulo. His victories in the East led to a settlement with Parthia over the vexed Armenian question, occasioning the ceremonial closing of the doors of the ‘Twin Janus’ signifying peace throughout the Empire (AD 65). The nature of this curious structure, situated in the Roman Forum, is best explained by John Melville Jones in A Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins — “It consisted of two arched gateways joined by walls, without a roof. When the Romans went to war, the gates were opened and when they were at peace, the gates were shut. The structure was not a temple in the strict sense of the word and was referred to as “the Janus”. It is represented on coins of Nero, some of which show it from one side and others from the opposite side, so that it is clear that it had gates at each end”. The accompanying inscription translates to “Peace being provided on land and sea for the Roman People, he closed the Janus”.  

• Like 20

This is a popular story about Constans's sailing to Britain. There was no need for a battle, but he wanted to show he was a conquering emperor nonetheless, sailing the Channel in winter. This medallion seems to back up the story, even if it wasn't actually true.

Constans Centenionalis, 348-350
image.png.a0f1fe332fc7c74217e3c6b617da67fb.png

Treveri. Bronze, 23mm, 5.26g. Pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right; D N CONSTA-NS P F AVG. Emperor standing left on galley, holding Victory on globe and standard with Chi-Rho in banner; Victory seated at stern, holding rudder; FEL TEMP – REPARATIO; TRP (RIC VIII, 219). From the Bridgnorth (Shropshire) Hoard 2007 comprising 2,892 coins up to 355, mostly of Magnentius and Decentius.

• Like 21

Perhaps an obvious story, but one worth noting nonetheless. From Odyssey 17, (antiquated) translation by A. T. MURRAY

[290] Thus they spoke to one another. And a hound that lay there raised his head and pricked up his ears, Argos, the hound of Odysseus, of the steadfast heart, whom of old he had himself bred, but had no joy of him, for ere that he went to sacred Ilios. In days past the young men were wont to take the hound to hunt the wild goats, and deer, and hares; but now he lay neglected, his master gone, in the deep dung of mules and cattle, which lay in heaps before the doors, till the slaves of Odysseus should take it away to dung his wide lands. There lay the hound Argos, full of vermin; yet even now, when he marked Odysseus standing near, he wagged his tail and dropped both his ears, but nearer to his master he had no longer strength to move. Then Odysseus looked aside and wiped away a tear, easily hiding from Eumaeus what he did; and straightway he questioned him, and said: “Eumaeus, verily it is strange that this hound lies here in the dung. He is fine of form, but I do not clearly know whether he has speed of foot to match this beauty or whether he is merely as table-dogs are, which their masters keep for show.”

[311] To him then, swineherd Eumaeus, didst thou make answer and say: “Aye, verily this is the hound of a man that has died in a far land. If he were but in form and in action such as he was when Odysseus left him and went to Troy, thou wouldest soon be amazed at seeing his speed and his strength. No creature that he started in the depths of the thick wood could escape him, and in tracking too he was keen of scent. But now he is in evil plight, and his master has perished far from his native land, and the heedless women give him no care. Slaves, when their masters lose their power, are no longer minded thereafter to do honest service: for Zeus, whose voice is borne afar, takes away half his worth from a man, when the day of slavery comes upon him.”

[324] So saying, he entered the stately house and went straight to the hall to join the company of the lordly wooers. But as for Argos, the fate of black death seized him straightway when he had seen Odysseus in the twentieth year.

REPUBLIC ULYSSES 1.jpg

• Like 21

I suppose  coins with Herakles at work on  his Labours are not too uncommon, but here's  one telling the tale of the nap-time in-between his tasks.

Bruttium, Kroton, Stater, c. 400-365, head of Hera Lakinia facing slightly right, wearing necklace and stephane with palmettes, rev. naked Herakles reclining left on lion’s skin draped on rock, holding cup, club and bow above, with bucranium below.

This type is called Herakles Epitrapezios ("Herakles at the table") showing the great man at rest in the midst of his labors, enjoying a cup of wine.

cxv_orig.jpg

• Like 17

Pannonia was a province of the Roman Empire bounded on the north and east by the Danube, coterminous westward with Noricum and upper Italy, and southward with Dalmatia and upper Moesia.

Its original inhabitants (Pannonii, sometimes called Paeonii by the Greeks) were an Illyrian tribe. From the 4th century BCE it was invaded by various Celtic tribes, the largest of whom were the Carni, Scordisci and Taurisci. In the early first century BCE, Roman penetration into Raetia, Noricum and Dalmatia moved towards the Danube and Pannonia.

PANNONIAE (Taken from NumisWiki) - The division of this region into two parts is characterised by two female figures, on gold, silver, and brass of Trajanus Decius. [See Decius Trajanus.]

The cause of this Emperor's attachment to these provinces is sufficiently obvious; for they were the first to proclaim his election to the purple, and it was to the fidelity and bravery of the Pannonian legions that he owed his victory over Philip.

Hence it was the peculiar care and pride of Decius to rescue or defend Pannonia from the incursions of the barbarians.

Presentation1.jpg.d2f76479ec234344b2f272699d92482c.jpg

• Like 18

Coins with stories/background. Well, that's something I enjoy!

I try to buy as many as I can. Like all of us, I have many coins without a solid story behind but I cherish the most the ones with strong symbols. 
I posted many coins with she wolf and twins, Republican, Imperial and Provincial - that's a powerful symbol for sure. 

Here are 2 recent purchases bought for the story 

image.png.7dfbf6accfd534683e1d4e7e8431cef4.png

An animal that is quite scarce. But this isn't the main reason I bought the coin for. 
A good write-up is found here 
https://www.cointalk.com/threads/the-most-famous-rhinoceros-in-rome.389129/    - apparently the rhino was the one that fought in the arena and it was a major pride reason for Domitian. So why not adding it on a coin? 
Another interesting fact - there is a large possibility (as @DonnaML advised there) that these coins were passed to Colosseum crowd!

Another one 

image.png.fc12a723e656606fcc2ede516f057097.png

Septimius Severus, AD 193-211. Silver Denarius, Rome mint, 197. Obv.: L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP VIIII, laureate head right / Rev.: MVNIFICENTIA AVG, elephant, cuirassed, advancing right. After Septimius defeated Clodius Albinus in the battle of Lugdunum (AD 197) he organized public games in Rome. The reverse of this coin commemorates this event. RIC 100; BMCRE 168; RSC 349

I like these type of coins, linked with a historical event, or even more, with mythology (I also have an example of the C. Mamilius Limetanus  denarius and it is one of my favorite RRs. 

I would be very proud to post a coin with a very strong story behind - Noah's Ark, such as 

image.png.7ab60a31e6292f75117967947b96f038.png

But I don't think I will ever own something like this. 

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 21

IMG_1299.JPGIMG_1300.JPG

This coin was struck in the 18 month period of time that Magnus Maximus occupied Milan and the entire Western Roman Empire. It is possible that this coin was used to help pay the army that Maximus would amass to fight Theodosius I in late 388. 

Magnus Maximus AR Siliqua

387-388 A.D.

1.84 Grams

Mediolanum mint

• Like 20

Maximinus Thrax issued only a single Liberalitas approximately 6-12 months into his reign. The coins only bear his second portrait (after the modified Alexander bust, but before the jutting forehead). Given that his German campaign was not yet complete, and he did not particularly care for the senators or populace of Rome, the leading theory is that these coins were issued as a succession bonus to his army that had just murdered their former emperor - setting the dangerous precedent for the coming half-century that regicide would not only go unpunished, but would be rewarded handsomely.

2124995326_MaximinusThraxLiberalitas.jpg.8057b317eee9fba2d7e52b999f343bc7.jpg1880137488_ZomboDroid02022020201101.jpg.0c0f5136fe2eda6b9eed48cb2695f0bf.jpg

• Like 14

I consciously focus on collecting "story coins" so I'll share one I haven't posted in a while, borrowing an auction description:

image.jpeg.4583236b18239cd493e7e892baff32e7.jpeg

Constantine I. AD 307/310-337. AR Medallion of 5 Siliquae (30mm, 17.86 g, 6h). Donative to Commemorate the Dedication of Constantinople. Constantinople mint, 6th officina. Struck shortly before 11 May AD 330. Laurel-and-rosette-diademed head right / D N CONSTANTINVS down left field, MAX TRIVMF AVG, down right, Constantinopolis enthroned facing with right foot on footstool, shield on ground at side, holding globus in right hand and scepter in left; MCONS.

This medallion was struck to commemorate the foundation of Constantinople on May 11, AD 330. Over the course of the third century it had become increasingly apparent that Rome was too far away from the borders for an Emperor to reside there and still be able to fend off the advances of Germanic peoples across the Rhine and Danube frontiers or to defend against the attacks of the Sasanian Persian Empire. Rome was also too steeped in its own history and traditions to adapt well to the novelties required by the age-such as autocratic emperors drawn from the ranks of the humble soldiery rather from the senatorial class, and Christianity, to name but two. While earlier military emperors and the Tetrarchy had tried to solve the problem by dividing up the Empire so that each tetrarch had his own territory to govern with his own capital, as sole ruler, Constantine's solution was to found a new capital on the site of the ancient Greek city of Byzantium. Its location on the Bosporus put it in close communication with the Danube frontier as well as in proximity to Syria and the frontier with the Sasanian Empire.

Although Constantine certainly struck issues depicting the enthroned personification of Constantiopolis to celebrate the city foundation, this particular issue actually honours Rome rather than Constantine's new capital. It is true that the figure here is similar to depictions of Constantinopolis in that she wears a helmet, sits on a throne and holds a spear, but the presence of a shield on the ground beside her and her bared breast make it clear that the figure is intended to be Roma, the Amazonian personification of Rome. Rome appears here to show that the grandeur of her past was not forgotten as Constantine established his new city, but rather it was being transferred to Constantinople. As the Emperor would have it old Rome was merely being relocated to his new Rome on the Bosporos. To make this point, depictions of Roma and Constantinopolis appeared on their own coins struck for the same occasion under Constantine and his successors. Indeed, some issues even go so far as to show both Roma and Constantinopolis together holding a shield inscribed with imperial votae to further underline the point. We may gauge the success of Constantine's transference of old Rome to new Rome by the fact that down to the fall of Constantinople to the Ottoman Turks in 1453 the Emperors who resided continued to themselves in Greek as basileus Romaion, "King of the Romans."

Edited by AncientJoe
  • Like 16
  • Mind blown 6
  • Heart Eyes 3

36 minutes ago, AncientJoe said:

I consciously focus on collecting "story coins" so I'll share one I haven't posted in a while, borrowing an auction description:

Constantine I. AD 307/310-337. AR Medallion of 5 Siliquae (30mm, 17.86 g, 6h). Donative to Commemorate the Dedication of Constantinople. Constantinople mint, 6th officina. Struck shortly before 11 May AD 330. Laurel-and-rosette-diademed head right / D N CONSTANTINVS down left field, MAX TRIVMF AVG, down right, Roma enthroned facing with right foot on footstool, shield on ground at side, holding globus in right hand and scepter in left; MCONS.

This medallion was struck to commemorate the foundation of Constantinople on May 11, AD 330. Over the course of the third century it had become increasingly apparent that Rome was too far away from the borders for an Emperor to reside there and still be able to fend off the advances of Germanic peoples across the Rhine and Danube frontiers or to defend against the attacks of the Sasanian Persian Empire. Rome was also too steeped in its own history and traditions to adapt well to the novelties required by the age-such as autocratic emperors drawn from the ranks of the humble soldiery rather from the senatorial class, and Christianity, to name but two. While earlier military emperors and the Tetrarchy had tried to solve the problem by dividing up the Empire so that each tetrarch had his own territory to govern with his own capital, as sole ruler, Constantine's solution was to found a new capital on the site of the ancient Greek city of Byzantium. Its location on the Bosporus put it in close communication with the Danube frontier as well as in proximity to Syria and the frontier with the Sasanian Empire.

Although Constantine certainly struck issues depicting the enthroned personification of Constantiopolis to celebrate the city foundation, this particular issue actually honours Rome rather than Constantine's new capital. It is true that the figure here is similar to depictions of Constantinopolis in that she wears a helmet, sits on a throne and holds a spear, but the presence of a shield on the ground beside her and her bared breast make it clear that the figure is intended to be Roma, the Amazonian personification of Rome. Rome appears here to show that the grandeur of her past was not forgotten as Constantine established his new city, but rather it was being transferred to Constantinople. As the Emperor would have it old Rome was merely being relocated to his new Rome on the Bosporos. To make this point, depictions of Roma and Constantinopolis appeared on their own coins struck for the same occasion under Constantine and his successors. Indeed, some issues even go so far as to show both Roma and Constantinopolis together holding a shield inscribed with imperial votae to further underline the point. We may gauge the success of Constantine's transference of old Rome to new Rome by the fact that down to the fall of Constantinople to the Ottoman Turks in 1453 the Emperors who resided continued to themselves in Greek as basileus Romaion, "King of the Romans."

An absolutely stunning piece of history!

I think your coin is the Constantinople type though, not the Roma type.

I was recently reading about this very issue in Harlan J Berk's book 100 Greatest Ancient Coins. He writes: 

"These coins, struck only at the mint of Constantinople, were apparently given out by, or in the presence of, Constantine himself at the dedication ceremony of the city on May 11, A.D. 330. This is the only time that a specific coin can be placed in the presence of a historic individual." (p. 119)

It's amazing to think that there is a very high chance that Constantine the Great himself handled and gave out that very coin that now sits in your collection!

• Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

1 hour ago, CPK said:

An absolutely stunning piece of history!

I think your coin is the Constantinople type though, not the Roma type.

I was recently reading about this very issue in Harlan J Berk's book 100 Greatest Ancient Coins. He writes: 

"These coins, struck only at the mint of Constantinople, were apparently given out by, or in the presence of, Constantine himself at the dedication ceremony of the city on May 11, A.D. 330. This is the only time that a specific coin can be placed in the presence of a historic individual." (p. 119)

It's amazing to think that there is a very high chance that Constantine the Great himself handled and gave out that very coin that now sits in your collection!

Thanks, and you are indeed correct - I need to plagiarize auction records more accurately next time 🙂 It is very humbling to think of the hands through which these coins have passed!

• Like 1

"Your Empire is now under New Management. Please be patient while the new administration settles in".

Islamic, Umayyad Caliphate. temp. Mu'awiya I ibn Abi Sufyan, AH 41-60 / AD 661-680. Æ Fals (22mm, 4.91g, 3h), Arab-Byzantine type, probably an irregular mint. Obv: T/Λ/Є/O; Imperial figure standing facing, holding long cross in his right hand and globus cruciger in his left. Rev: Large M in center; above, monogram; below, star; around, blundered Kufic legend reading 'darb dimashq ja'iz' ('current issue [of] Dimashq'). Ref: DOCAB 48 var. (inverted crescent instead of star); Goodwin & Gyselen p. 51, 21. Attractive earthen highlights. Very Fine. From a European collection, formed before 2005. Ex Leu Numismatik (18 Jul 2022), Lot 3259.

image.jpeg.02091de20a468ab64e5c9c1f34df509b.jpeg

• Like 12

17 hours ago, AncientJoe said:

Constantine I. AD 307/310-337. AR Medallion of 5 Siliquae (30mm, 17.86 g, 6h). Donative to Commemorate the Dedication of Constantinople. Constantinople mint, 6th officina. Struck shortly before 11 May AD 330. Laurel-and-rosette-diademed head right / D N CONSTANTINVS down left field, MAX TRIVMF AVG, down right, Constantinopolis enthroned facing with right foot on footstool, shield on ground at side, holding globus in right hand and scepter in left; MCONS.

Interesting is the rather greek iconography featured. Notice the parallel column legends and the personification/diety sitting on this type of full length throne. Those features weren’t present on contemporary coinage (especially the legends formatted like that). Other medallions, even those much larger and gold, feature circular legends both before and after this. The use of columns clearly has some significance in its unusualness. One recalls the iconic tetradrachms of alexander or those of the later diadochi.

• Like 8

One of the most storied coins struck during the first century is, I think, the Claudius IMPER RECEPT denarius and aureus:

image.jpeg.37e8733583268ac6cd25bc6c4d8c9aef.jpeg

CLAUDIUS 41 - 54 A.D.
AV Aureus (7.79 g.) Rome 44 - 45 A.D. RIC 25
Obv. TI CLAVD CAESAR AVG P M TR P IIII laureate head r. Rev. Battlemented wall IMPER RECEPT enclosing praetorian camp, Fides Praetorianorum left.  
Ex. Metropolitan Museum of Art Collection (Sotheby's, 10 November 1972, lot 35); published in "Metropolitan Museum of Art Bulletin" 1938

The history memorialized in this coin is impressive; I quote from Heritage's description:

"Claudius owed his elevation to the Praetorian Guard and was not ashamed to promote this fact on his coinage. The reverse of this interesting aureus type depicts the Praetorian camp and the legend "IMPER RECEPT" -- "The Emperor Received," a direct reference to the chaotic aftermath of Caligula's assassination in January of AD 41, when a platoon of Praetorians found Claudius hiding in the imperial palace and quickly hustled him behind the walls of the fortress. He obliged them with a donative of 3,750 silver denarii per head, nearly quadruple the previous highest amount (1,000, by Tiberius). The Praetorians remained fiercely loyal throughout his reign and, faced with this reality, the Senate was loath to challenge him."

It is simply staggering to imagine a Roman Emperor being appointed by a small group of Praetorian Guards.  Every time I view this coin I'm reminded of the (certainly fictional) line from I, Claudiuswhen Claudius was arguing to the Senate the reasons for why he should be appointed Emperor:

"As for being half-witted: well, what can I say, except that I have survived to middle age with half my wits, while thousands have died with all of theirs intact. Evidently, quality of wits is more important than quantity."

Edited by idesofmarch01
  • Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 2

One of my favorite coin types, are the ones that refer to an actual historical event. I have quite a few of those; conquests, battles, games, coin reforms, etc. Below are three, chosen randomly from my collection. First, a coin struck by Septimius, for himself, as for his sons. The reverse refers to the Secular games held in the Circus Maximus in 204 AD. The event is also mentioned by historian Cassius Dio! 

30.4.png.bcf7c7b3031ed599a31a5cf7bb3fda69.png

This very rare sestertius refers to the trip of Caracalla to Alexandria in 205 AD. Upon hearing that the inhabitants spoke ill of him, he unleashed his army unto the city, slaughtering many inhabitants. 

30.5.png.afbec98a7920ee36e520924475c00610.png

Lastly; this coin commemorates the arrival of the sacred stone of Emesa in Rome, taken from Emesa by Elagabal, in 219 AD. It is said the, for the Roman outlandish, procession took a year, and having arrived in Rome, Elagabal walked backwards in front of the chariot, so he would not be forced to take his eyes from the stone. Scarce in silver, the aureus version is much more rare. I thought there's an aureus actually showing Elagabal in front of the procession, but I cant find it. 

34.2.png.5d6e2e33858563908fcc7b8c9cb04198.png

19 hours ago, AncientJoe said:

Although there are many coins, including this one, from your collection I truly admire, it's the diobol made from a gold statue of Nike on the Acropolis that is my absolute favorite. An unbelievable piece of history! 

• Like 14
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

On 1/7/2023 at 12:56 AM, AncientJoe said:

This coin and its story is just.. insane!

You must be very pleased with this crown juwel in your collection, congrats!

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Limes said:

One of my favorite coin types, are the ones that refer to an actual historical event. I have quite a few of those; conquests, battles, games, coin reforms, etc. Below are three, chosen randomly from my collection. First, a coin struck by Septimius, for himself, as for his sons. The reverse refers to the Secular games held in the Circus Maximus in 204 AD. The event is also mentioned by historian Cassius Dio! 

30.4.png.bcf7c7b3031ed599a31a5cf7bb3fda69.png

This very rare sestertius refers to the trip of Caracalla to Alexandria in 205 AD. Upon hearing that the inhabitants spoke ill of him, he unleashed his army unto the city, slaughtering many inhabitants. 

30.5.png.afbec98a7920ee36e520924475c00610.png

Lastly; this coin commemorates the arrival of the sacred stone of Emesa in Rome, taken from Emesa by Elagabal, in 219 AD. It is said the, for the Roman outlandish, procession took a year, and having arrived in Rome, Elagabal walked backwards in front of the chariot, so he would not be forced to take his eyes from the stone. Scarce in silver, the aureus version is much more rare. I thought there's an aureus actually showing Elagabal in front of the procession, but I cant find it. 

34.2.png.5d6e2e33858563908fcc7b8c9cb04198.png

Although there are many coins, including this one, from your collection I truly admire, it's the diobol made from a gold statue of Nike on the Acropolis that is my absolute favorite. An unbelievable piece of history! 

These are all great stories!! Thanks for sharing. 

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Limes said:

I didn't know this story, but found this online article: 

https://talesoftimesforgotten.com/2020/01/26/what-really-happened-to-the-athena-parthenos/

Very interesting! For example, I also didn't know Constantine the Great did not name his city Constantinopolis, but Nova Roma! So Byzantium became Nova Roma, that transformed into Constantinopolis, which in turn was renamed in 1930 into Istanbul - which is now the largest city of Europe (about 16 million people).

17 hours ago, Limes said:

One of my favorite coin types, are the ones that refer to an actual historical event. I have quite a few of those; conquests, battles

@Limes, I wonder, is there somewhere an overview of Roman coins with (only) the conquests/battles? Indeed an interesting topic. 👍🏻

3 hours ago, Coinmaster said:

@Limes, I wonder, is there somewhere an overview of Roman coins with (only) the conquests/battles? Indeed an interesting topic. 👍🏻

Im not aware of an overview - internet of in book form - with only Roman coins with such battle-themed reverses. There are books however that elbaorate on reverses, but the ones I know are broader themed. An example is the book by Clive Foss, Roman Historical Coins. Its not complete (by far), but it connects certain highlights in the life of an emperor with coin reverses. 

• Thanks 1