Happy 2023! Here's an eastern imitation owl, from the Edward H. Merrin Collection

robinjojo

• Benefactor

This coin was a very late pickup last year, via eBay.  I've been following it for a couple of months, finally pulling the monetary trigger on the night of December 26th.

This is another eastern imitation owl, in a NGC slab (came that way).  I do not think this coin is of Egyptian origin, but instead further east, possibly Gaza or another city in the Levant.  One must cut out a fairly large swath of real estate when attempting to attribute these coins.  The style of this owl is of a fine nature, especially the reverse.  The strike and centering are excellent.

So, when it was offered in the CNG Feature Auction 121, why did it only hammer at $475, on a $750 estimate?  One could argue that the estimate was just too high for an imitation owl, and that the very minor graffito on the obverse, on the cheek, made the coin less desirable.  Perhaps the "3" assigned by NGC for surface turned off bidders obsessed with NGC's grading system.  These could be contributing factors.  Regardless, when the eBay listing price was changed to $550 the green light went on to buy it, so here it is.  For me, the coin sold itself, not the NGC grade numbers.

Athens, eastern imitation owl, late 5th- mid 4th centuries BC, Edward Merrin Collection.

17.05 grams

72195958_D-CameraAthenseasternimitationowl5th-4thcensBCEdwardMerrinColl17.05gramseBay20221-1-23.jpg.22a3377678b677c19dd0420f9b21c1f9.jpg

This coin is pedigreed to the Edward H. Merrin Collection.  Edward H. Merrin, who passed away on July 1, 2020, was one of the leading sellers and authorities for antiquities in New York City, a benefactor of Tuffs University and an author.  The Merrin Gallery is one of the go-to places in New York City for antiquates ranging Classical Antiquity to Pre-Columbian cultures.  

Edward and Vivian Merrin standing in an outdoors garden. A devoted Tufts alumnus and generous donor, Merrin was passionate about family and art.

Edward Merrin with his wife, Vivian

The graffito on the obverse is also interesting.  Could it be a Sabean "D".  That's my guess, but nothing conclusive, for sure!

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 12

16 minutes ago, robinjojo said:

This coin was a very late pickup last year, via eBay.  I've been following it for a couple of months, finally pulling the monetary trigger on the night of December 26th.

This is another eastern imitation owl, in a NGC slab (came that way).  I do not think this coin is of Egyptian origin, but instead further east, possibly Gaza or another city in the Levant.  One must cut out a fairly large swath of real estate when attempting to attribute these coins.  The style of this owl is of a fine nature, especially the reverse.  The strike and centering are excellent.

So, when it was offered in the CNG Feature Auction 121, why did it only hammer at $475, on a $750 estimate?  One could argue that the estimate was just too high for an imitation owl, and that the very minor graffito on the obverse, on the cheek, made the coin less desirable.  Perhaps the "3" assigned by NGC for surface turned off bidders obsessed with NGC's grading system.  These could be contributing factors.  Regardless, when the eBay listing price was changed to $550 the green light went on to buy it, so here it is.  For me, the coin sold itself, not the NGC grade numbers.

Athens, eastern imitation owl, late 5th- mid 4th centuries BC, Edward Merrin Collection.

17.05 grams

72195958_D-CameraAthenseasternimitationowl5th-4thcensBCEdwardMerrinColl17.05gramseBay20221-1-23.jpg.22a3377678b677c19dd0420f9b21c1f9.jpg

This coin is pedigreed to the Edward H. Merrin Collection.  Edward H. Merrin, who passed away on July 1, 2020, was one of the leading sellers and authorities of antiquities in New York City, a benefactor of Tuffs University and an author.  The Merrin Gallery is one of the go-to places in New York City for antiquates ranging Classical Antiquity to Pre-Columbian cultures.  

Edward and Vivian Merrin standing in an outdoors garden. A devoted Tufts alumnus and generous donor, Merrin was passionate about family and art.

The graffito on the obverse is also interesting.  Could it be a Sabean "D".  That's my guess, but nothing conclusive, for sure!

That's a very choice Owl at a bargain price ☺️! The Surface 3/5 grade does seem low 😏. I think the grader got carried away with the graffito that's hard to see with the deep toning.

Edited by Al Kowsky
  • Like 1

• Benefactor
36 minutes ago, AussieCollector said:

Beautiful coin @robinjojo and great price!

A question, how does one know it is an Eastern imitation? It is very well done.

Thanks!

My determination is based primarily on style, comparing this coin with an Athenian classical standardized owl, shown below.

1908195101_D-CameraAthenstetradrachmmintstatec.454-404BC17.23gRoma6212-1-20.jpg.a2152e0b25c7b88ce51503aae636f61a.jpg

The differences may appear supple, but when looking at the configuration of the eye with this coin and comparing it with the OP coin, the imitation's eye is much wider and "droopy", with a lower lid that has more a curve to it.  Other differences - the beading of the necklace is much finer on the imitation; the palmette on the imitation is thinly rendered, with the lower leaves done in a totally different way compared to the Athenian owl; the imitation's leaves running along the helmet's edge are in a different style compared to the above owl.  Also, the chin and jaw line on the imitation is much heavier.  Overall the imitation's style is very good, it is still somewhat crude and not quite as refined compared the above classical owl.

On the reverse, the imitation's owl's feet (talons) are much larger, oversized actually.  The feathers that should be present just above the owl's tail are not present except for possibly one.  Overall the imitation's owl's body is much more upright compared to the more leaning Athenian owl, a more natural one on the imitation,  I think.  The olive branch and leaves on the imitation are very large, compared to the above owl, as is the crescent moon, which clearly needs to go on a diet.  Further, the imitation's owl's wing feathers are coarser, thicker, while the head on the imitation is rounder, not as oval as the head on the Athenian owl.

The imitation is a very good one.  The level of die engraving is really exceptional for an imitation owl.  These imitations can run the gambit from nearly spot-on in style to very idiosyncratic, local versions.  That's what making collecting them so fascinating and fun!

Hope this helps!

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 2

I have what has been attributed as an Egyptian iimitative.

Egypt, Athens Imitative, Silver tetradrachm

Obv:– Head of Athena right, droopy eye, crested helmet with olive leaves and bent-back palmette, wire necklace, round earring, hair in parallel curves.
Rev:– ΑΘΕ, right, owl standing right, head facing, erect in posture, olive sprig and crescent left, all within incuse square;
Minted in Egypt from . B.C. 420 - 380.
Reference:– cf. SNG Cop 31 ff., SGCV I 2526 (Athens),

The metal did not fill the die completely on the obverse resulting in the rough flat high area near Athena's temple. A test cut on the reverse was filled with pitch in antiquity.

The silver is quite bright making it relatively tricky to photograph.

From the Harald Ulrik Sverdrup Collection. Ex CNG. From a small hoard of 5 Athenian and 4 Athenian imitative issues.

Comment provided by Seller-
"Athenian tetradrachms with this droopy eye and bent back palmette have been identified as Egyptian imitative issues because they are most frequently found in Egypt and rarely in Greece.

Early in his reign the Egyptian Pharaoh Hakor, who ruled from 393 to 380 B.C., revolted against his overlord, the Persian King Artaxerxes. In 390 B.C. Hakor joined a tripartite alliance with Athens and King Evagoras of Cyprus. Persian attacks on Egypt in 385 and 383 were repulsed by Egyptian soldiers and Greek mercenaries under the command of the Athenian general Chabrias. Perhaps these coins were struck to pay the general and his Greek mercenaries."

17.157g, 25.3mm, 270o

Egypt_1a_img.jpg

• Like 4

• Benefactor
12 hours ago, NewStyleKing said:

I must admit, the "little differences" seem to be the what would be in the range of different die cutters foibles!  Different folks different strokes, but not cultural differences in style!  Seems Athenian to me!  Any say, Syrio-Egyptian die studies.....?

You could be right.  The jury is still out and likely will stay out unless a hoard is found and documented, not likely though.

• Like 1