Md..Limes..

galba68

On a related note, I picked up this rather random (for me) Elagabalus AE last year, that I suppose is also a limes denarius.

image.png.cb3e70096e06d5a328faff125327a91d.png

What caught my attention was the small size. This one is 17.5x16mm, 2.3g (haven't verified the weight).

I'm not at all familiar with limes denarii - the small size and good bust style made me wonder if it could even be a quadrans (obviously unlikely).

How much is known about who cut the dies and struck limes denarii?

Is there any principled way one would distinguish a limes denarius from a quadrams? I see coin below (not mine  - ex. Leu Web # 16) has been attributed as a quadrans, and it a bit larger in size at 18mm 2.39g.

image.png.d43a43b2ec6ab91412dc3eeb918b44a7.png

• Like 9
  • Cool Think 2

7 minutes ago, Heliodromus said:

Is there any principled way one would distinguish a limes denarius from a quadrams? I see coin below (not mine  - ex. Leu Web # 16) has been attributed as a quadrans, and it a bit larger in size at 18mm 2.39g.

A quadrans should have S C somewhere (at least most have); a denarius never does. 

• Like 3

The term "Limes Denarii" is a misnomer. Limes implies that the castings were made on the edges of the Empire as emergency money. However, the finding  locations of the cast denarii and the casting forms are distributed over the entire territory of the Empire, even rather than on the edges. Also these cast denarii were made of white metal to deceive people. For coins of necessity there would have been no need to deceive. These white metal cast denarii were in almost all cases nothing but forgeries.

The situation is different with cast sestertii. These are real coins of necessity, produced in remote regions as emergency money. No one was deceived or cheated by them.

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 2