anyone (in the U.S.) have a sudden requirement for signature cards for European shipments?

Nerosmyfavorite68

This started happening around the time that my carriers changed on my route.  Certain shipments required signatures before (I think Zurquieh from Dubai?) but most didn't.  Numiscorner didn't and ditto London Ancient Coins and Dr. Busso Peus.

Were signatures required and the old carriers were lax, has something recently changed, or is the new one overly zealous? 

I'm referring to coins sent through the post.

There are some positives to this delay: one could choose a desired redelivery date.  I don't really mind, and kind of would like, a signature for $300+ shipments. 

I think all  of my post-September orders have been from European or overseas dealers, so I don't know if this is affecting coins from U.S. dealers.  The September Sulla from Aegean did require a signature, but I didn't mind it in that case. 

• Like 1

Not for me. I live in the US. My most recent coin shipment from Europe was in late November (France). I also received coin shipments from Europe in early November (France), and early October (France). And a coin shipment from England in the middle of November. However, I have all of my coins delivered to my PO box, not to my house address. Perhaps the post office signs for my coin shipments. I don't know.

Edited by sand

• Benefactor

I did receive a Deutsche Post shipment recently that required a signature, and I was surprised at that, especially since the coins were low value (<$100 total). LAC and Roma have always required signatures, but they don't use the standard post (DHL if I recall). 

Got a Fedex package from Noonans this month that required customs paperwork, signatures, address verification etc.  It was the value of the parcel that ticked all the boxes and then on top of it I had issues with my credit union not allowing foreign currency transactions over a limit which I had to jump through a hoop to get approved.

• Like 1

• Benefactor

My understanding is that, for the USPS, signatures for registered, certified (when specified), Priority (when specified) and insured mail were suspended during the peak of the covid pandemic. They are in force again, have been for a while in fact.  I've been signing primarily through my mail carrier's hand held unit, with some difficulty.  My printing often comes off as something one would see on a ransom demand.  A few times I signed, with greater confidence, with the old fashion delivery notice form.

As for DHL, I've never signed, even for packages with high price (for me) coins.

FedEx is a mixed bag.  Most of the time I don't sign, but rarely I need to.  Perhaps that's an additional service for them, similar to USPS. 

• Like 1