Backlog? What backlog?

Finn235

Hello all,

I am sure that 80% of you already know me from various "other" forums, but it still feels silly joining a forum without some semblance of an introductory post!

I've been collecting coins since I was old enough to not put them in my mouth, but didn't come to the dark side until about summer 2015. After dabbling aimlessly with lots of utter garbage from eBay for about a year, I eventually decided to get more serious. After some adjustments in my focus, I eventually settled on two main collecting themes:

1) A collection of Roman Imperatorial and Imperial coins from Sulla through Justinian, with the added twist of seeking out an example in each "title", e.g. 

- As Caesar, or a similar junior position under a living emperor

- As Augustus/Augusta

- As Usurper (for the two where a distinction can be made)

- Posthumous, both Divo/Diva consecration issues and restitution issues.

And then of course my main numismasochistic obsession,

2) Indo-Sassanian drachms, for which I am working on a revised attribution scheme, which I hope to begin publishing online within the next year or two. Just for fun, I decided to bust out a picture of my current backlog which I am in the process of sorting, attributing, and imaging

20220603_133633.thumb.jpg.f7c18d3054d33c2331f7466fa7267e7a.jpg

That's about 2500-3000 coins.

In addition to this, of course I have some other odds and ends

- A dabbling set of Indian ancients through the British Raj era

- Whatever few Greeks fall into my lap via large lots and then catch my fancy (plus a few individual purchases)

- Other Miscellanea, including a few Celtic, Parthian/Sassanian, Islamic, Chinese, and Crusader/medieval coins

I'm excited to see lots of familiar faces here, and hope to soon kick off a few threads that I hope will be fun, educational, and engaging!

• Like 25
  • Yes 1
  • Cookie 2
  • Mind blown 2

You've got your work cut out for you, Steve. But I know it's a labor of love. Looking forward to the published version.

So glad you migrated here. For those who don't know Finn235: his research on Indo-Sassanian/Peroz-derivations is extensive and his insights and descriptions of coins from the series are detailed and fascinating. He's the go-to guy for a lot of ancient coinage info, both Western and Eastern - but, especially (IMO), the Indo material.

• Like 3

Yep, I have a backlog as well. My backlog is photos of individual coins. It takes me so long, to take photos of a coin. I use a digital camera, which has auto-focus, and also seems to automatically adjust brightness and colors. So, getting the focus, brightness, and colors looking decent, as well as getting all of the debris off of the coins and tray, takes a lot of time. Especially the debris. Especially on my small, dark, bronze coins, which show every speck of debris, when I zoom in. And the debris is so small, that I usually don't notice the debris, until I look at the photos. And, in the process of removing debris, more debris gets on the coin. Aaaugh!

image.png.4917eff0c5e3870791e8c74bc715a1b5.png

I've finally decided, that I'm going to take photos of up to 1 coin per week, or 1 group of coins per week. I have approximately 200 coins (ancient, medieval, Celtic, Spanish colonial, English, and US) plus my Lincoln cent collection. Approximately 150 of my coins are worthy of photos. I've taken decent individual photos of approximately 30 of them. So, I've got a long way to go. At a rate of 1 coin per week, even if I don't buy any more coins, it will take me 2 years, to take individual photos of all of my photo worthy coins. But, of course, I'll probably buy more coins. I bought 4 photo worthy coins in May. But, I have been trying to buy fewer coins, lately.

Lately, I've been getting better at taking photos of coins, especially small dark coins. So it's a little more fun, now.  It's fun to take photos of coins, as long as I don't try to do too much in 1 week.

Edited by sand
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, sand said:

Yep, I have a backlog as well. My backlog is photos of individual coins. It takes me so long, to take photos of a coin. I use a digital camera, which has auto-focus, and also seems to automatically adjust brightness and colors. So, getting the focus, brightness, and colors looking decent, as well as getting all of the debris off of the coins and tray, takes a lot of time. Especially the debris. Especially on my small, dark, bronze coins, which show every speck of debris, when I zoom in. And the debris is so small, that I usually don't notice the debris, until I look at the photos. And, in the process of removing debris, more debris gets on the coin. Aaaugh!

image.png.4917eff0c5e3870791e8c74bc715a1b5.png

I've finally decided, that I'm going to take photos of up to 1 coin per week, or 1 group of coins per week. I have approximately 200 coins (ancient, medieval, Celtic, Spanish colonial, English, and US) plus my Lincoln cent collection. Approximately 150 of my coins are worthy of photos. I've taken decent individual photos of approximately 30 of them. So, I've got a long way to go. At a rate of 1 coin per week, even if I don't buy any more coins, it will take me 2 years, to take individual photos of all of my photo worthy coins. But, of course, I'll probably buy more coins. I bought 4 photo worthy coins in May. But, I have been trying to buy fewer coins, lately.

Lately, I've been getting better at taking photos of coins, especially small dark coins. So it's a little more fun, now.  It's fun to take photos of coins, as long as I don't try to do too much in 1 week.

I sympathise with you @sand not only do I get to see the debris when I start to use the image, I am also seeing verdigris and bronze disease that I had no idea was there. I have just posted a Domitian Sestertius on another thread and it was only when I photographed it that I could see the problem.

• Like 2

Thanks all! This seems like the forum is off to a great start, so I am excited to see where things go from here.

23 hours ago, velarfricative said:

Hey, I've seen you on Cointalk but I've never had an account there to comment. Do you collect any of the Indo-Sasanian Hunnic Sindh gold issues, like the "Rana Datasatya" type?

No, unfortunately, I haven't had any luck winning one of those yet. They are lumped together with the Peroz-type imitations on both Zeno and Wikipedia, but are totally unrelated and I think actually derived from Shapur II or similar. Still would love to have one though 😉