coins which remind you of warm things

Nerosmyfavorite68

I'm hoping everyone's staying safe during the major U.S. winter storm.  I have anxiety about certain things, and terrible cold is one.  I live in a drafty house, and although I've taped and bagged a lot of the worst offenders, it was giving me high anxiety when the furnace literally kicked on every two minutes.  I had switched my ecobee into 'home' mode - allegedly the auxiliary sensor was the only one enabled there, but it must have been the downstairs den, where it's the coldest - it's 4AM and I don't have time to play around with home mode.  I think I've found a decent compromise with the 'away' mode, which I use 99% of the time.  It's -2 F right now outside. The away mode cheats by a degree. 

Let's see coins which remind one of warmth. 

I'm sorry to be a big baby - anxiety is like that; many people are going through worse than I have it.  I 'only' have 1.25 days of scary cold and wind to get through. It's 30F by Tuesday and 50 by Friday.  Ah, ok, the furnace kicked on at an acceptable interval.  I think the away mode will work here too.  I can finally go to sleep! I can experiment during the daytime to fine tune where the auxiliary sensor is.  New Year's resolution; cinder block windows for the den and a cutout to fill the disused fireplace.

It's way too late at night for me to find a coin of mine which would fit the theme.  Let's see some of yours!  Whether it be a torch, Sol Invictus, Helios, etc. You get the idea.  Since this is the 'general' forum the coins don't have to be ancient.

Stay safe!  There's 'only' 2 to 3 inches of snow, but I won't be able to tackle that  until Saturday when the winds die down,  and it's a toasty 12 degrees.

Edited by Nerosmyfavorite68
  • Like 8

Oh no!  Now I have to stay up an hour more. I went downstairs to do a final sweep and the thermostat was still unchanged at 59.  Fighting back panic, I disabled the downstairs on away mode and it reverted to the upstairs sensor temperature. Let's hope that works.

A few years ago when similar cold happened with the 'dumb' old thermostat I managed to cheat it by running an incadescent bulb near it. Perhaps I should get another auxiliary sensor for such emergencies to also put one in the warmest zone. It 'seems' to still be reading the upstairs.  I'll be glad when this night is over.

I suggest a nice warm fire altar in the living room. :classic_cool:

normal_G_318_Hierocaesareia_fac.jpg.4580fb6871e8b1cfcf3c981ccbd26943.jpg

Lydia, Hierokaisareia
Pseudo-autonomous issue
First half of the second century
Obv: draped bust of Artemis Persica r., with quiver at l. shoulder, bow and arrow at breast
Rev.: ΙΕΡΟΚΑΙСΑΡΕΩN, anticlockwise legend, garlanded and lighted altar
AE, 3g, 13mm
Ref.: RPC online -

• Like 11

We're nearing the middle of summer here! I'd like some of that cold lol.

Traditionally Cricket is played around this time of the year, families getting together for Christmas, playing some cricket in beach or their backyards after lunch! so this coin featuring Sir Donald Bradman batting seems relevant. 

s-l1600.jpg.d6336fc6cf4b3af87099c2d19fff72fb.jpg

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

How about an Egyptian scene?

[IMG]
Hadrian, AD 117-138.
Roman fourrée denarius, 2.98 g, 17.7 mm, 7 h.
Rome mint copy, ca. AD 138.
Obv: HADRIANVS AVG COS III P P, laureate head, right.
Rev: AEGYPTOS, Egypt reclining left, holding sistrum and leaning on basket, around which a snake coils. Ibis on left, facing right.
Refs: RIC 296, BMCRE 801-804, RCV 3456, Strack 294.
Notes: Underweight. The metal surface has bubbled away from the core and cracked in front of the portrait on the obverse and above the sistrum and in the exergue on the reverse, revealing it to be a fourrée.

Edited by Roman Collector
  • Like 10

I haven't even looked outside yet but it's -6 with a -27 wind chill. 😮

The past couple years we've had furnace trouble every winter. (We have a natural gas furnace.) Thankfully, we have a couple wall-mounted heaters so it's not been a dire emergency, but still it's extremely inconvenient. Last year we finally got a new furnace put in, so I'm looking forward to maybe having a winter without furnace issues!

Hope everything stays working for you @Nerosmyfavorite68! It is hard not to get nervous when the temperature starts slowly dropping - I know what that is like! 😬 At least it will be over soon.

Demeter is bringing a couple torches !

Alexander_drachm.jpg.530ff74ff51c074d5d4bb67e36bbf519.jpg

• Like 9

It's -11° F here now. I don't have any particularly "warm themed coins," but the coin below was minted in Constantinople and it's currently 51° F in Istanbul, which certainly feels warmer. I'll take it. 🙂

820_to_829_MichaelII_AE_Follis_01.png.79d0d353e3821dfb8bd5d8c641701226.png820_to_829_MichaelII_AE_Follis_02.png.9445d93c3c838cd94bf6d483fa55711e.png

Michael II the Amorian (AD 820-829) with Theophilus Æ Follis; Constantinople mint; Obv: MIXAHL S ΘЄOFILOS, crowned facing busts of Michael (on left) and Theophilus (on right); cross above; Rev: Large M, X/X/X to left, cross above, N/N/N to right, Θ below; 29.12mm; 6.21 grams; Sear 1642

Edited by ewomack
  • Like 9

Best wishes to all.  I hope your furnace does ok, CPK.

After a hellish night, I came up with a new strategy. I put the remote sensor in my childhood bedroom (now the unused spare) and closed the door.  That way, it works less hard.  I'm also experimenting with turning on the (incadescent) light and seeing what that does.  If I get that mix ok, then I can take a nap.  Under normal circumstances it'd be too warm to kick on under current settings, but the extreme cold causes it to kick on at an acceptable interval.

I'm not going to lie; I'm scared.  If the worst happens, I'll turn off the water and do my best to bleed the pipes. I could then go over to my neighbors. The part I'm frightened about is frozen pipes.  Many of the most vulnerable pipes are within the furnace enclosure, which really helps.

It's a toasty -7.  I don't see how my grandparents' did it.  The house survived the hellish -20's, c. 1993 and it survived the 1977 blizzard.

Tonight is allegedly less cold and then tomorrow is 15.  It will help a LOT when the wind dies down.  That's not until tomorrow.

I think it might just work!

stay safe, everyone.

2 hours ago, CPK said:

I haven't even looked outside yet but it's -6 with a -27 wind chill. 😮

The past couple years we've had furnace trouble every winter. (We have a natural gas furnace.) Thankfully, we have a couple wall-mounted heaters so it's not been a dire emergency, but still it's extremely inconvenient. Last year we finally got a new furnace put in, so I'm looking forward to maybe having a winter without furnace issues!

Hope everything stays working for you @Nerosmyfavorite68! It is hard not to get nervous when the temperature starts slowly dropping - I know what that is like! 😬 At least it will be over soon.

Demeter is bringing a couple torches !

Alexander_drachm.jpg.530ff74ff51c074d5d4bb67e36bbf519.jpg

Do you think our coins are die match? at least to me the reverse of the coins look really similar! it's also 4.2g.

normal_-4th.png.8a192fe4f621d3cc51aec33822d3c3d6.png

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 10

• Benefactor

Well, it’s a balmy -5 in Kentucky today. We’re headed to Florida Sunday and the city of Naples has issued a weather advisory that the wind chill there may plummet to 30 degrees- oh, the horror!

Anyway, here are my 2 coins with fire - 0AC5E11A-E0A0-4ED8-A504-9797F986C3F5.jpeg.ec4c80210414d81aa1d0e52209e0a978.jpeg199AB4F7-2B56-4136-9C25-8C295B6C0263.jpeg.e5bef44878fb564ccfe72ba6dca8c6f5.jpeg

L Papius Celsus, 45 BC, reverse shows a wolf adding a stick to a fire while an eagle is doing his best to fan the flames

2FD465F8-E5DA-4EA9-A68E-6D27F189F483.jpeg.9e0992ec9e58095aed953fb9176baa41.jpeg3B63AD4A-4F84-47B9-8688-1B2867BF4004.jpeg.9dbdc6da21a1897b443253658f76b896.jpeg

Octavian, 35 BC, reverse shows Temple of Divus Julius Caesar with a lighted altar to the left

• Like 13

Knock on wood, my strategy might just work.  It's the least terribleoption, so far.

I just have to survive today.  It'll actually get WARMER as the day/night progresses.  It will help a LOT when the winds die down.

How do people in Minnesota or Buffalo cope?  I'm sure all thehouses there aren't peak efficient.

I spent a very nervous night and am wrapped in a blanket.  Perhaps I'll be less nervous by tomorrow, and able to have my Christmas Eve pizza.

I'm sure you're taking precautions, jdmKY, but make sure the precautions are followed with the pipes. I know of someone who wintered south, only to find his midwestern home ruined by exploded pipes.

Best wishes to all.  One of my neighbors was foolish enough to take out the trash.  You can guess what happened.

Stay safe! And thank you to the numis forum community, for comforting others.

Edited by Nerosmyfavorite68

Up in Canada we are in a deep freeze, 5 days in a row of sub -20C temperatures. I almost made it out without issue but this morning my pipes froze. Tomorrow will be -2C, a 20C degree difference.. Oh, Canada.. Stay safe everyone!

Garlanded and lighted altars always make me feel cozy.

photo2.jpg

Edited by rvk
  • Like 11
  • Smile 1

3 hours ago, JayAg47 said:

Do you think our coins are die match? at least to me the reverse of the coins look really similar! it's also 4.2g.

normal_-4th.png.8a192fe4f621d3cc51aec33822d3c3d6.png

It does look like it! That is pretty neat. The obverse also looks similar but my eye isn't practiced enough to tell. Could it be a double-die match? 

• Like 7

I must say good luck to all of you who are suffering the deep freeze. I can only imagine what it must be like. In this part of South Spain the winter temp is normally around 50F at night and 65-70F daytime. Here is a coin shot through an orange filter to compliment the sunset on the coin.

DSC00821.jpg

DSC00822.jpg

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1

It's up to -3° F here now. Picnic weather! I'm putting on the flip flops and Bermuda shorts and heading to the park.

I'm not too far from Canada so I have experienced plenty of icy times. There is a saying here, though, which probably serves as a coping mechanism: "I'd rather be cold than hot! You can always add more clothing or blankets, but you can only take off so many until you're indecent."

And here's a coin from Genoa, Italy, where it's currently 56° F. Again, I'll take it. They probably have better food, too.

1139_to_1339_ItalyGenoa_Gross_01.png.30036e92c9df465b3ec84a08823f1434.png1139_to_1339_ItalyGenoa_Gross_02.png.6958ebb62a1d3454cef3600e3c7dcf4d.png
Italy, Republic of Genoa, 1139 - 1339 AR Gross ND; Obv: +.IA.NV.A. Castle view; Rev: CVNRADIREX, Maltese type cross with six diamonds around. Ref: Biaggi 895

Edited by ewomack
  • Like 11