• Heliokles I Dikaios Tetradrachm
    • Eukratides I Megas Tetradrachm
    • al-Mutawakkil Dinar
    • Attalos I Tetradrachm
    • Abd al-Rahman I Dirham
    • Antiochos VII Euergetes Tetradrachm
    • Suleiman the Magnificent Sultani
    • Husam al-Din Yülük Arslan Dirham

I've collected on and off since 2018 but this was the year I started to get more into this hobby and transitioned from a more generalist collection to specializing in a couple of areas (Greco-Baktrian tetradrachms and coins of Umayyad Spain). To also prevent this list from being mostly Greco-Baktrian coinage, I limited this list to 4 of my favorites of those. Using auction house photos since they take better photos than I can, and the Leu coins are not shipping until January :(. Feel free to vote for ur favs!

image.jpeg.52bc9043bc0fb0371243599463171c23.jpeg

Greco-Baktrian Kingdom, Antimachos I Theos. 174-165 BCE. AR Tetradrachm, 31 mm, 16.68 g. Baktra mint.

Diademed and draped bust of Antimachos I to right, wearing flat topped kausia / ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΘΕΟΥ ΑΝΤΙΜΑΧΟΥ Poseidon, nude to the waist, standing facing, holding long trident in his right hand and filleted palm branch in his left; to lower right, monogram

Bopearachchi 1D

Ex Nomisma S.p.A. Auction 66.

image.jpeg.35c54fbfca47da8b40ea9b18c158eee5.jpeg
Greco-Baktrian Kingdom, Antimachos I Theos. 174-165 BCE. AR Tetradrachm, 31 mm, 17.08 g. Baktra mint.

Diademed and draped bust of Antimachos I to right, wearing flat topped kausia / ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΘΕΟΥ ΑΝΤΙΜΑΧΟΥ Poseidon, nude to the waist, standing facing, holding long trident in his right hand and filleted palm branch in his left; to lower right, monogram

Bopearachchi 1D

Ex Leu Numismatik, Web Auction 24, From the collection of Dr. D. Löer, privately acquired from Lothar Holland.

1. I ended up with two of these because the one from the Leu Numismatik auction was at a price I couldn't refuse. I don't mind though, since this was a major target of mine. I really like Greco-Baktrian coinage, for its superb artistry and how much it is entwined with our understanding of their history. Many of their rulers, such as Antimachos, are virtually only known through their coinage. His name was unknown to history until a tetradrachm of his made its way into the collection of Prince Michael Galitzin in Moscow in the 1800s. Other than a tax receipt bearing his name that was found in Sangcharak, Afghanistan, numismatic evidence is the only proof that he existed. The sun hat he bears, the kausia, is a testament to his Macedonian heritage. I'm pretty stoked I was able to get these, as they are my favorite from the Greco-Baktrian kingdom.

image.jpeg.731c7d17c420a231f467942b338943f7.jpeg
Greco-Baktrian Kingdom, Heliokles I Dikaios. 145-130 BCE. AR Tetradrachm, 31 mm, 16.95 g.

Diademed and draped bust to right; all within bead-and-reel border / Zeus standing facing half-left, wearing himation, holding winged thunderbolt in right hand and lotus-tipped sceptre in left; monogram in left field, ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ to right, ΗΛΙΟΚΛΕΟΥΣ to left, ΔΙΚΑΙΟΥ in exergue

Bopearachchi 1U

Ex Roma Numismatics, E-Sale 100.

2. This was not a planned purchase, but I am super happy with this coin. I love how detailed the reverse of this coin is. Zeus's muscles and folds in his robe are still visible. Heliokles was the last Greek to rule in Baktria, falling to Yuezhi invasions.

image.jpeg.83972af3ae66c22e517a9370ad246472.jpeg

Greco-Baktrian Kingdom, Eukratides I Megas. 171-145 BCE. AR Tetradrachm, 33 mm, 16.82 g.

Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust to right / The Dioskouroi on horses prancing to right, each holding spear and palm; BΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ above, ΕΥΚΡΑΤΙΔΟΥ below, monogram in lower right field

Bopearachchi 1D

Ex Roma Numismatics, E-Sale 98, From the Neil Collection.

3. This was my first tetradrachm, and first coin in my Greco-Baktrian collection. The only knock I have on this coin is that it has a lot of horn silver deposits. I'm completely fine with it, but it was a bit of a surprise seeing the coin in hand compared to the photos. Roma Numismatics did some black magic with the lighting; the horn silver deposits are a lot blacker in hand.

image.jpeg.f31e953976961a88ecbbe3354ea105e5.jpeg

Abbasid Caliphate, al-Mutawakkil. AH 238 / 856 CE. AV dinar, 20 mm, 3.98 g. Misr mint.

Album 229.2

Ex Stephen Album Rare Coins, Auction 43.

4. My first gold coin. Looks great in hand, but I wish I knew how to read it lol.

image.jpeg.6db9831547280b130e62857464abcb7c.jpeg

Kingdom of Pergamon, Attalos I Soter. 241-197 BCE. AR Tetradrachm, 27 mm, 17.04 g, Struck in the name of Philetairos.

Laureate head of Philetairos to right / Athena seated to left, resting elbow on shield, holding transverse spear and crowning ΦIΛETAIPOY to left with wreath; palm branch to outer left, monogram to inner left, bow to right

Westermark Group VIA

Ex Roma Numismatics, Auction XXV, From the Paulo Leitão Collection.

6. This coin was a bit of an impulse buy; I bought this during a meeting at work lol. Still, I'm pretty stunned by the portrait on this coin and is one of my favorite acquisitions this year. I like how you can just make out the face on the shield next to Athena.

image.jpeg.495b755c5a1e5c052f17483dd68cd86d.jpeg

Emirate of Córdoba, Abd al-Rahman I. AH 170 / 788 BCE. AR Dirham, 29 mm, 2.53 g. 

Vives. 68

Ex Áureo, Auction 383.

7. This was also one of my targets for the year, since I was focusing on Umayyad Spain coinage. This is definitely the least expensive acquisition on this list, but still one of my favorites because Abd al-Rahman I, is one of my favorite historical figures. He was one of many Umayyad princes when the Abbasids overthrew the Umayyad dynasty. Fleeing from Damascus, he narrowly escaped Abbasid assassins, making his way through Palestine, Egypt, and Tunisia, eventually landing in Ceuta. Abd al-Rahman I then landed in Spain, and took control of al-Andalus. I thought his story was pretty badass, going from an exiled prince fleeing for his life to emir of al-Andalus. al-Mansur, the caliph of the Abbasid caliphate that overthrew the Umayyads, begrudgingly respected al-Rahman, calling him the Hawk of Quraysh. al-Mansur had tried to invade al-Andalus to retake the wayward province, but his invasion force was soundly defeated, and the heads of their leaders were sent back to al-Mansur, who purportedly said, "God be praised for placing a sea between us!".

image.jpeg.9b92a30adef99271b1ad40eaf923293b.jpeg

Seleukid Empire, Antiochos VII Euergetes. 138-129 BCE. AR Tetradrachm, 31 mm, 16.31 g. Antioch on the Orontes mint.

Diademed head to right / BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY EVEPΓETOY, Athena Nikephoros standing to left, resting hand on shield, and with spear under arm; monogram over Π above A in left field; all within wreath.

SC 2061.1j

Ex Roma Numismatics, E-Sale 99, From the Terner Collection.

8. I really love the portrait on this coin and how detailed his hair is. I'm a little thankful for the test cut, since it probably made the coin a bit cheaper, and it's in a good spot that doesn't mess too much with the design of the coin.

image.jpeg.431ec5bd23170f5906230ae732086f8c.jpeg

Ottoman Empire, Suleiman the Magnificent. 1520 BCE. AV Sultani, 21 mm, 3.36 g. Misr mint.

Name, titles, mint and date in five lines / Titles in six lines

Album 1317

Ex Roma Numismatics, Auction XXV, From the collection of GK; Ex Sincona AG, Auction 43.

9. The Ottoman Empire interests me a lot, and I've taken a course on the empire during college, so this was an exciting pick up for me, especially because Suleiman is my favorite Ottoman sultan.

image.jpeg.d48489bfa2fc30cea51f0b3fcd623ca2.jpeg

Artuqids of Mardin, Husam al-Din Yülük Arslan. AH 596 / 1199 CE. AE Dirham, 32 mm, 12.35 g.

Helmeted Turk seated cross-legged, wearing chain mail, holding sword horizontally behind his head with his right hand and severed, helmeted head by the plume with his left hand; in field to left, 'Nur al-Din Atabeg' in Kufic. Rev. In inner field, 'al-Nasir li-din / Allah Amir / al-Mu'minin'; in inner margin, 'al Malik al-Afzal 'Ali wa al-Malik al Zahir Ghazi bin al-Malik al-Nasir Yusuf'; in outer margin, 'Husam al-Din Yuluq Arslan Malik Diyarbakr bin il-Ghazi bin Artuq duriba sannah sitt wa tis'in wa khamsami'a'; all in Kufic.

Album 1829.4

Ex Leu Numismatik, Web Auction 24.

10. I've had this coin on my want list for a couple of years, but I finally got around to getting this. I found it pretty interesting that such a gruesome scene was depicted on a coin.

Edited by Cordoba
  • Like 17
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

A nice and eclectic mix (sort of like my own Best Of lists 😀).  If you want to learn at least the basics of reading Arabic coin inscriptions, you're in luck, as Umayyad and Abbasid coins are probably the easiest to read, both because they are so formulaic (so once you know the pattern you only have to read a few words to attribute) and the Kufic Arabic script is usually pretty clear and well-engraved.  I recommend the book "Arabic Coins and How to Read Them" by Michael Plant.

I also really liked the face on the shield of the Attalos I stater.  

• Like 1

I couldn't choose just one, but I'm more partial to the Islamic coins with Arabic script and the Probus piece.

And yes, as @Parthicus said, the book by Richard Plant, "Arabic Coins and How To Read Them" gives a great overview of many coin legends. It helps if you already know a little Arabic (I studied it in college and have beginner's knowledge), but it does walk you through the basics as well.

IMG_3896.JPG.f765b424355f1aa7b654d329c0dc2352.JPG

I don't remember where I ordered mine, but it was from outside of the US. It arrived a few months after I ordered it in a US customs bag containing the original opened package. I don't know if it aroused suspicion, but, in any case, it did finally arrive in decent shape.

• Like 2

#1 (both), 2 and 6 are my favorites!

58 minutes ago, Cordoba said:

This coin was a bit of an impulse buy; I bought this during a meeting at work lol

I did the same with the last coin in my top 10 Republican coins. I was in an 1 to 1 meeting with my boss who was praising me for my performance and was very glad that I focus on work only and I am a role model for the rest of my team.
In the meantime I was eagerly waiting for my target to be live. It came. I won it.

• Laugh 1

2 hours ago, ewomack said:

I couldn't choose just one, but I'm more partial to the Islamic coins with Arabic script and the Probus piece.

And yes, as @Parthicus said, the book by Richard Plant, "Arabic Coins and How To Read Them" gives a great overview of many coin legends. It helps if you already know a little Arabic (I studied it in college and have beginner's knowledge), but it does walk you through the basics as well.

IMG_3896.JPG.f765b424355f1aa7b654d329c0dc2352.JPG

I don't remember where I ordered mine, but it was from outside of the US. It arrived a few months after I ordered it in a US customs bag containing the original opened package. I don't know if it aroused suspicion, but, in any case, it did finally arrive in decent shape.

2 hours ago, Parthicus said:

A nice and eclectic mix (sort of like my own Best Of lists 😀).  If you want to learn at least the basics of reading Arabic coin inscriptions, you're in luck, as Umayyad and Abbasid coins are probably the easiest to read, both because they are so formulaic (so once you know the pattern you only have to read a few words to attribute) and the Kufic Arabic script is usually pretty clear and well-engraved.  I recommend the book "Arabic Coins and How to Read Them" by Michael Plant.

I also really liked the face on the shield of the Attalos I stater.  

Thanks for the tip! It'd be helpful since a good chunk of my collection is in arabic haha. Abbasid and Umayyad ones do seem easier to read, which would be a good starting point

Edited by Cordoba

• Benefactor

Artuqids of Mardin, Husam al-Din Yülük Arslan. AH 596 / 1199 CE. AE Dirham, 32 mm, 12.35 g.

I agree with you, it is a gruesome coin but very cool to add to the collection. One of the other board members has one with the blood dripping from the severed head. Interesting display of power. 

Congratulations on your collection. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cordoba said:

I've collected on and off since 2018 but this was the year I started to get more into this hobby and transitioned from a more generalist collection to specializing in a couple of areas (Greco-Baktrian tetradrachms and coins of Umayyad Spain). To also prevent this list from being mostly Greco-Baktrian coinage, I limited this list to 4 of my favorites of those. Using auction house photos since they take better photos than I can, and the Leu coins are not shipping until January :(. Feel free to vote for ur favs!

image.jpeg.52bc9043bc0fb0371243599463171c23.jpeg

Greco-Baktrian Kingdom, Antimachos I Theos. 174-165 BCE. AR Tetradrachm, 31 mm, 16.68 g. Baktra mint.

Bopearachchi 1D

Ex Nomisma S.p.A. Auction 66.

image.jpeg.35c54fbfca47da8b40ea9b18c158eee5.jpeg
Greco-Baktrian Kingdom, Antimachos I Theos. 174-165 BCE. AR Tetradrachm, 31 mm, 17.08 g. Baktra mint.

Bopearachchi 1D

Ex Leu Numismatik, Web Auction 24, From the collection of Dr. D. Löer, privately acquired from Lothar Holland.

1. I ended up with two of these because the one from the Leu Numismatik auction was at a price I couldn't refuse. I don't mind though, since this was a major target of mine. I really like Greco-Baktrian coinage, for its superb artistry and how much it is entwined with our understanding of their history. Many of their rulers, such as Antimachos, are virtually only known through their coinage. His name was unknown to history until a tetradrachm of his made its way into the collection of Prince Michael Galitzin in Moscow in the 1800s. Other than a tax receipt bearing his name that was found in Sangcharak, Afghanistan, numismatic evidence is the only proof that he existed. The sun hat he bears, the kausia, is a testament to his Macedonian heritage. I'm pretty stoked I was able to get these, as they are my favorite from the Greco-Baktrian kingdom.

image.jpeg.731c7d17c420a231f467942b338943f7.jpeg
Greco-Baktrian Kingdom, Heliokles I Dikaios. 145-130 BCE. AR Tetradrachm, 31 mm, 16.95 g.

Diademed and draped bust to right; all within bead-and-reel border / Zeus standing facing half-left, wearing himation, holding winged thunderbolt in right hand and lotus-tipped sceptre in left; monogram in left field, ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ to right, ΗΛΙΟΚΛΕΟΥΣ to left, ΔΙΚΑΙΟΥ in exergue

Bopearachchi 1U

Ex Roma Numismatics, E-Sale 100.

2. This was not a planned purchase, but I am super happy with this coin. I love how detailed the reverse of this coin is. Zeus's muscles and folds in his robe are still visible. Heliokles was the last Greek to rule in Baktria, falling to Yuezhi invasions.

image.jpeg.83972af3ae66c22e517a9370ad246472.jpeg

Greco-Baktrian Kingdom, Eukratides I Megas. 171-145 BCE. AR Tetradrachm, 33 mm, 16.82 g.

Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust to right / The Dioskouroi on horses prancing to right, each holding spear and palm; BΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ above, ΕΥΚΡΑΤΙΔΟΥ below, monogram in lower right field

Bopearachchi 1D

Ex Roma Numismatics, E-Sale 98, From the Neil Collection.

3. This was my first tetradrachm, and first coin in my Greco-Baktrian collection. The only knock I have on this coin is that it has a lot of horn silver deposits. I'm completely fine with it, but it was a bit of a surprise seeing the coin in hand compared to the photos. Roma Numismatics did some black magic with the lighting; the horn silver deposits are a lot blacker in hand.

image.jpeg.f31e953976961a88ecbbe3354ea105e5.jpeg

Abbasid Caliphate, al-Mutawakkil. AH 238 / 856 CE. AV dinar, 20 mm, 3.98 g. Misr mint.

Album 229.2

Ex Stephen Album Rare Coins, Auction 43.

4. My first gold coin. Looks great in hand, but I wish I knew how to read it lol.

image.jpeg.3e4d3360da59b6f3cc23568066a09ded.jpeg

Roman Empire, Probus. 276-282 CE. BI Antoninianus, 26 mm, 4.88 g. Rome mint.

IMP PROBVS AVG, radiate, helmeted and cuirassed bust to left, holding spear and shield / ROMAE AETER, hexastyle temple with statue of Roma seated facing within, holding Victory and sceptre; R*Γ in exergue

RIC V.2 185

Ex Roma Numismatics, E-Sale 100.

5. I don't really collect Roman coins (I've only got 1 denarius in my entire collection), but Probus has some of my favorite designs in Roman coinage. I was blown away by the portrait of Probus in military regalia. I'm also a sucker for buildings on coins, so the temple on the back is a huge plus for me.

image.jpeg.6db9831547280b130e62857464abcb7c.jpeg

Kingdom of Pergamon, Attalos I Soter. 241-197 BCE. AR Tetradrachm, 27 mm, 17.04 g, Struck in the name of Philetairos.

Laureate head of Philetairos to right / Athena seated to left, resting elbow on shield, holding transverse spear and crowning ΦIΛETAIPOY to left with wreath; palm branch to outer left, monogram to inner left, bow to right

Westermark Group VIA

Ex Roma Numismatics, Auction XXV, From the Paulo Leitão Collection.

6. This coin was a bit of an impulse buy; I bought this during a meeting at work lol. Still, I'm pretty stunned by the portrait on this coin and is one of my favorite acquisitions this year. I like how you can just make out the face on the shield next to Athena.

image.jpeg.495b755c5a1e5c052f17483dd68cd86d.jpeg

Emirate of Córdoba, Abd al-Rahman I. AH 170 / 788 BCE. AR Dirham, 29 mm, 2.53 g. 

Vives. 68

Ex Áureo, Auction 383.

7. This was also one of my targets for the year, since I was focusing on Umayyad Spain coinage. This is definitely the least expensive acquisition on this list, but still one of my favorites because Abd al-Rahman I, is one of my favorite historical figures. He was one of many Umayyad princes when the Abbasids overthrew the Umayyad dynasty. Fleeing from Damascus, he narrowly escaped Abbasid assassins, making his way through Palestine, Egypt, and Tunisia, eventually landing in Ceuta. Abd al-Rahman I then landed in Spain, and took control of al-Andalus. I thought his story was pretty badass, going from an exiled prince fleeing for his life to emir of al-Andalus. al-Mansur, the caliph of the Abbasid caliphate that overthrew the Umayyads, begrudgingly respected al-Rahman, calling him the Hawk of Quraysh. al-Mansur had tried to invade al-Andalus to retake the wayward province, but his invasion force was soundly defeated, and the heads of their leaders were sent back to al-Mansur, who purportedly said, "God be praised for placing a sea between us!".

image.jpeg.9b92a30adef99271b1ad40eaf923293b.jpeg

Seleukid Empire, Antiochos VII Euergetes. 138-129 BCE. AR Tetradrachm, 31 mm, 16.31 g. Antioch on the Orontes mint.

Diademed head to right / BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY EVEPΓETOY, Athena Nikephoros standing to left, resting hand on shield, and with spear under arm; monogram over Π above A in left field; all within wreath.

SC 2061.1j

Ex Roma Numismatics, E-Sale 99, From the Terner Collection.

8. I really love the portrait on this coin and how detailed his hair is. I'm a little thankful for the test cut, since it probably made the coin a bit cheaper, and it's in a good spot that doesn't mess too much with the design of the coin.

image.jpeg.431ec5bd23170f5906230ae732086f8c.jpeg

Ottoman Empire, Suleiman the Magnificent. 1520 BCE. AV Sultani, 21 mm, 3.36 g. Misr mint.

Name, titles, mint and date in five lines / Titles in six lines

Album 1317

Ex Roma Numismatics, Auction XXV, From the collection of GK; Ex Sincona AG, Auction 43.

9. The Ottoman Empire interests me a lot, and I've taken a course on the empire during college, so this was an exciting pick up for me, especially because Suleiman is my favorite Ottoman sultan.

image.jpeg.d48489bfa2fc30cea51f0b3fcd623ca2.jpeg

Helmeted Turk seated cross-legged, wearing chain mail, holding sword horizontally behind his head with his right hand and severed, helmeted head by the plume with his left hand; in field to left, 'Nur al-Din Atabeg' in Kufic. Rev. In inner field, 'al-Nasir li-din / Allah Amir / al-Mu'minin'; in inner margin, 'al Malik al-Afzal 'Ali wa al-Malik al Zahir Ghazi bin al-Malik al-Nasir Yusuf'; in outer margin, 'Husam al-Din Yuluq Arslan Malik Diyarbakr bin il-Ghazi bin Artuq duriba sannah sitt wa tis'in wa khamsami'a'; all in Kufic.

Album 1829.4

Ex Leu Numismatik, Web Auction 24.

10. I've had this coin on my want list for a couple of years, but I finally got around to getting this. I found it pretty interesting that such a gruesome scene was depicted on a coin.

Cordoba, Congrats on acquiring a wonderful group of coins this year 😊! My favorites are the tetradrachm of Attalos I Stoter, & the gold coin of Suleiman the Magnificient, followed by the tetradrachm of Heliokles Dikaios 😍. For comparison I'm posting a fake tetradrachm of Heliokles Dikaios next to your coin. I bought this coin from a CNG auction.

image.jpeg.731c7d17c420a231f467942b338943f7.jpeg.8643bb526c56190aba172327d7d96a09.jpeg251086978_Hill128.jpg.6c7847a445e32284b7654c5915879e49.jpg

• Like 3
  • Cool Think 1

Very nice group…I voted for the Antimachos and Attalos.

I don’t have any Greco-Baktrian tets in my collection, but really thinking about getting one.  Yours have some truly great portraits (and great hats!), and they look to be struck in high relief on some nice big flans.  Congrats on some great new additions!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shea19 said:

Very nice group…I voted for the Antimachos and Attalos.

I don’t have any Greco-Baktrian tets in my collection, but really thinking about getting one.  Yours have some truly great portraits (and great hats!), and they look to be struck in high relief on some nice big flans.  Congrats on some great new additions!

Thanks! yea, the cool hats were a big draw for me for the greco-baktrian tets. next up on my list is demetrios's elephant hat. luckily eukratides tets are pretty common, so there's a lot of options to pick from.