My only coin of the year!

NewStyleKing

New Styles are getting rarer  on the market, almost extinct.  And the few that appear  are not in my collecting field which is basically Thompson OId and late catalogue.  Particularly very late, post Sullan examples, which are as rare as hen's teeth.

Yep we all (?) know that during the 1st Mithradatic war the Mithradatic army could only win against other asiatics or in overwhelmingly favourable circumstances, which had lead to Mithradates being called the "Triumph" giver. After totally cocking-up over the siege of Rhodes, that survived due to a epiphany of Iset who, in my based on Ashton's opinion became a badge of the anti-Mithradates supporters, it got worse and Sulla besieged Athens and Piraeus in 86 BC  and eventually took them. Did a bit of damage and regime changed with Mission Accomplished soon after when Archaelos , Mithradates top general  lost 2 consecutive battles in central Greece  and a peace treaty was signed at Dardanus in 84 BC.  When did the NewStyle re-start? What with? Maybe the answer lies in Chieti's Museo Archaeolgica, but they aren't interested.The numbers of re-started NewStyles increased  and  when around the 2nd and then 3rd Mithradatic wars the obverse die count became respectacle again  and then suddenly....... the obverse count of the NewStyles falls "off a cliff"! Obviously they are not really needed anymore and my opinion is that they only lasted as a sort of commemorative coin of past days of glory, soon to be extinguished forever.

This is one of them, 3 examples, one obverse and two reverses, quiet common really! Sold from the Salton collection  with no provenance, but probably (Commerce) T1227a 1955, but we shall never know!

Athens New Style Tetradrachm c 71/70 BC

Obs : Athena Parthenos right in tri-form helmet
28 mm 16.97 gm Thompson issue 88
Thompson catalogue: Obs 1227 ? Rev: New/Not in plates?
Rev : ΑΘΕ ethnic
Owl standing on overturned panathenaic amphora
on which month mark ? ΔΙ below
2 magistrates : LEUKIOS , ANTIKRATHES
RF symbol : Demeter & Artemis
All surrounded by an olive wreath

Artemis  Demeter shiney Horizonatal Both.jpg

384.jpg

• Like 23
  • Yes 1

30 minutes ago, NewStyleKing said:

New Styles are getting rarer  on the market, almost extinct.  And the few that appear  are not in my collecting field which is basically Thompson OId and late catalogue.  Particularly very late, post Sullan examples, which are as rare as hen's teeth.

Yep we all (?) know that during the 1st Mithradatic war the Mithradatic army could only win against other asiatics or in overwhelmingly favourable circumstances, which had lead to Mithradates being called the "Triumph" giver. After totally cocking-up over the siege of Rhodes, that survived due to a epiphany of Iset who, in my based on Ashton's opinion became a badge of the anti-Mithradates supporters, it got worse and Sulla besieged Athens and Piraeus in 86 BC  and eventually took them. Did a bit of damage and regime changed with Mission Accomplished soon after when Archaelos , Mithradates top general  lost 2 consecutive battles in central Greece  and a peace treaty was signed at Dardanus in 84 BC.  When did the NewStyle re-start? What with? Maybe the answer lies in Chieti's Museo Archaeolgica, but they aren't interested.The numbers of re-started NewStyles increased  and  when around the 2nd and then 3rd Mithradatic wars the obverse die count became respectacle again  and then suddenly....... the obverse count of the NewStyles falls "off a cliff"! Obviously they are not really needed anymore and my opinion is that they only lasted as a sort of commemorative coin of past days of glory, soon to be extinguished forever.

This is one of them, 3 examples, one obverse and two reverses, quiet common really! Sold from the Salton collection  with no provenance, but probably (Commerce) T1227a 1955, but we shall never know!

Athens New Style Tetradrachm c 71/70 BC

Obs : Athena Parthenos right in tri-form helmet
28 mm 16.97 gm Thompson issue 88
Thompson catalogue: Obs 1227 ? Rev: New/Not in plates?
Rev : ΑΘΕ ethnic
Owl standing on overturned panathenaic amphora
on which month mark ? ΔΙ below
2 magistrates : LEUKIOS , ANTIKRATHES
RF symbol : Demeter & Artemis
All surrounded by an olive wreath

Artemis  Demeter shiney Horizonatal Both.jpg

384.jpg

"Slim pickens" but a great choice 😊!

• Like 1

• Benefactor

That's a very attractive late new style owl, an excellent acquisition! Congratulations!

Yes,. the number of new style owls pale at any given time in the market to the number of classical standardized owls, which makes the task of finding nice coins a true challenge.  From time to time I look a new style owls for sale or at auction, but since I have this near obsession with imitative owls I am prone to pass on them due to lack of funds and probably imagination as well.

The late new styles that I've seen online tend to be crudely executed, with often equally crudely engraved dies.  I guess that's indicative of the decline of Athens and her owl coinage following Sulla's visit. 87-86 BC. 

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 1