Leu Shipping and Cost?

The_Collector

Hi everyone,

I was planning on bidding in the upcoming/ongoing Leu auction. This is my first auction and I was wondering if anyone had any information on their fees and how much they charge for shipping to the U.S. I was reading on the forum of some other's experiences and am kind of worried I am going to win some lots and find that I am paying half the amount in shipping and random fees. I am mainly worried about the shipping as I saw some really high amounts. Thank you all!

Those shipping costs are ridiculous - about double what it ought to cost. The minimal cost of 18 CHF is OK, but the way it ramps up after that for overseas buyers seems like a rip off.

Domestic buyer will pay 12 CHF extra for a 1001 vs 100 CHF coin, but foreign buyer pays an extra CHF 32. If this is really what the Swiss postal services charges for insurance, then why don't they just self-insure or switch to a cheaper/better/faster carrier such as DHL ?!

Edited by Heliodromus

45 minutes ago, Heliodromus said:

Those shipping costs are ridiculous - about double what it ought to cost. The minimal cost of 18 CHF is OK, but the way it ramps up after that for overseas buyers seems like a rip off.

Domestic buyer will pay 12 CHF extra for a 1001 vs 100 CHF coin, but foreign buyer pays an extra CHF 32. If this is really what the Swiss postal services charges for insurance, thenwhy don't they just self-insure or switch to a cheaper/better/faster carrier such as DHL ?!

Supposedly those are quotes for weight in grams, not hammer/invoice prices. So it seems reasonable that a 1kg package would cost as much as 50CHF for overseas but only 22CHF for within-Switzerland. The postage costs are similarly expensive in the Nordics where I am so it doesn't surprise me personally.

Much better than CNG charging $40 for int'l but $12 for domestic for a single coin via USPS (i.e. not even courier). 

• Benefactor

My Leu coins always come well-packaged and in a neat mailer, I don't recall shipping being a show-stopper. In one of the more recent auctions I bought Byzantine solidi and nomismata (gold). My only reticence about Leu shipping in such attractive mailers with a return address of Switzerland along with the word Numismatik is that pilferers will figure out what is in the package. In contrast consider Frank Robinson's mailers with the old stamps and the return address and name of FSR Metallworks which wouldn't attract as much attention.

• Like 1

• Benefactor
9 hours ago, The Pontian said:

@kirispupis @SimonW Can you pay with paypal for another currency ?

I sometimes pay with PayPal, but I try to avoid it because:

• Many auction houses have a surcharge for PayPal due to their fees
  • The company is highly disreputable and should honestly be shut down. I have a lot of horror stories from sellers.

Note that, when I pay by card, I always pay in the currency of the auction house because my card provides market rates that are usually better.

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

I lost all my bids - and I set high bids - more than the coins real value… but all lost.

Think tomorrow wasn’t better…

I've put in one pre-bid for tomorrow's Roman Imperial session. It's at the high end of prices for the type in the last few years, but given how the auction has been going so far, I am not hopeful!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DonnaML said:

I've put in one pre-bid for tomorrow's Roman Imperial session. It's at the high end of prices for the type in the last few years, but given how the auction has been going so far, I am not hopeful!

I have tomorrow also 6-7 coins I hope I get. But the hope is minimal…

Today - one example for this crazy priced - I bid on a coin. The same coin with the same condition I get in October 22 for 1200 USD at CNG. This same type with same condition hammered today for 5000 CHF. I go up to 2400 CHF think I have a chance. It’s more I want - because it’s double price I pay last month for the same. But the bidding ends at 5000 CHF. That’s not normal. 

Some lots not the 2x of the normal price - sometimes 3x … in this case - sorry - don’t understand why collectors overpay so much…

• Like 1

• Benefactor

I picked up this coin from Pedasa today, ex G. Plankenhorn collection

Pedasa.jpg.e5025ff856627486eb0b910f68ce9549.jpg

probably paid a bit too much for it, but there are only seven listed on acsearch, so it's not exactly a common coin that I can just pick up in the next auction.

Plankenhorn seems to have owned at least two Pedasa bronzes. The other one sold two years ago in a Naumann auction. It had arguably a better obverse, though I think mine has a better reverse. It sold for the same amount as mine - and I suspect the other bidder knew that. 🙂 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Prieure de Sion said:

I have tomorrow also 6-7 coins I hope I get. But the hope is minimal…

Today - one example for this crazy priced - I bid on a coin. The same coin with the same condition I get in October 22 for 1200 USD at CNG. This same type with same condition hammered today for 5000 CHF. I go up to 2400 CHF think I have a chance. It’s more I want - because it’s double price I pay last month for the same. But the bidding ends at 5000 CHF. That’s not normal. 

Some lots not the 2x of the normal price - sometimes 3x … in this case - sorry - don’t understand why collectors overpay so much…

Which coin?