Any Experience with Leu Numismatik? The website is terrible.

ComicMan

There are a ton of coins that I like, and according to /r/ancientcoins they are one of the top auction houses

But if I go to the main auction section: https://leunumismatik.com/en/auction and go to the second page, the website already cannot handle it and gives up, it cannot handle going to page 2 unless you change the categories or change the sort by section. Furthermore, the search tool for some reason automatically fills in my email (what the hell), and the auction itself is hard to filter through in general.

So could somebody reassure me and tell me that things are alright? There are some really nice coins there that I would love to bid on, but the whole presentation is kinda sketchy.

• Like 2

Leu is one of THE most reputable auction houses.

Of course, it can always happen - with any company - that a website has an error. But this does not immediately have anything to do with the reputation of the company. Sometimes web servers go haywire because some bug has crept in. Happens.

However, I have spent a lot of time on the Leu website the last few days - once for my own purchases and the wish lists of my customers. In other words, I've been browsing all sorts of pages.

I have also just tried out your error.

But everything works fine here.

Mac computer Safari = ok
Mac computer Edge = ok
Mac computer Chrome = ok
iPad Safari = ok

Everything works fine for me. I can even switch back and forth between pages every second - the content loads immediately. So it must be your system - otherwise it wouldn't work for me either. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Leu is one of THE most reputable auction houses.

Of course, it can always happen - with any company - that a website has an error. But this does not immediately have anything to do with the reputation of the company. Sometimes web servers go haywire because some bug has crept in. Happens.

However, I have spent a lot of time on the Leu website the last few days - once for my own purchases and the wish lists of my customers. In other words, I've been browsing all sorts of pages.

I have also just tried out your error.

But everything works fine here.

Mac computer Safari = ok
Mac computer Edge = ok
Mac computer Chrome = ok
iPad Safari = ok

Everything works fine for me. I can even switch back and forth between pages every second - the content loads immediately. So it must be your system - otherwise it wouldn't work for me either. 

Thanks for the checkin. I am using a gaming laptop with chrome, and I mean it is not amazing but I don't usually have something like this (also, the same happens on my phone with chrome). Maybe this is a chrome thing? Just to be clear, https://leunumismatik.com/en/auction is the correct website, right? I am not on some kind of phishing link?

image.png.7a037b9132473fbab23b76b4460608dd.png

• Like 1

This is a year old leu bug. I've reported to them this bug months ago, and they haven't fixed it. What is happening is the username autofill for saved browser logins is going into the search field for on the left (cut off in the screenshot), and they haven't set up their website properly for pagination. So it's searching your login username for coins, and looking for page 2. To fix this, make sure all the fields on the left side of the screen (search and lot number) are empty before clicking on a new page.

Frankly, it's a very amateur website.

Edited by Hesiod
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ComicMan said:

Just to be clear, https://leunumismatik.com/en/auction is the correct website, right? I am not on some kind of phishing link?

This is the correct...

12 minutes ago, ComicMan said:

I am using a gaming laptop with chrome, and I mean it is not amazing but I don't usually have something like this (also, the same happens on my phone with chrome).

I testing with an ThinkPad T470 (with Windows 11) now - a) with your link, b) with edge, c) with chrome - sorry, without any problem and very fast.

Its possible your Internet Provider / WLAN?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hesiod said:

This is a year old leu bug.

Sorry - can't confirm that.

I have test this at this moment.

- Mac with macOS Ventura + Safari, Edge, Chrome
- iPad with Safari
- ThinkPad T470 Windows 11 + Edge, Chrome

I have no bug - I can make a video - its absolute fast.

If it was a general bug - it will be a bug for all Windows/Chrome or Mac/Chrome Computers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hesiod said:

This is a year old leu bug. I've reported to them this bug months ago, and they haven't fixed it. What is happening is the username autofill for saved browser logins is going into the search field for on the left (cut off in the screenshot), and they haven't set up their website properly for pagination. So it's searching your login username for coins, and looking for page 2. To fix this, make sure all the fields on the left side of the screen (search and lot number) are empty before clicking on a new page.

Frankly, it's a very amateur website.

5 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

- iPad with Safari

If it was a general bug - it will be a bug for all Windows/Chrome or Mac/Chrome Computers.

Actually, this was the bug. I deleted my autofill from the website and it instantly fixed it lol.

I will be honest, it is beyond bonkers that this bug exists and that it is apparently a year old, but I guess that fixes my issue?

Thanks guys!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AussieCollector said:

Reputable, but be careful how you bid.

Never have I seen with any other auction house bids seemingly always increasing to within a bid or half a bid of your max bid for a coin you win.

Every. Time.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

- iPad with Safari

The bug is general, and I can repro 100%. You just have to follow the steps provided in my post. Since you seem to not be using your browser autofill for logins; manually typing something gibberish (make sure it's not something generic like tetradrachm!) into the "search" field and then clicking page 2 will repro the bug. 

Edited by Hesiod
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hesiod said:

The bug is general, and I can repro 100%. You just have to follow the steps provided in my post. Since you seem to not be using your browser autofill for logins; manually typing something gibberish (make sure it's not something generic like tetradrachm!) into the "search" field and then clicking page 2 will repro the bug.

You mean this effect...

If I have "Tetradrachm" in the search field and go Site 2 - I get this...

image.png.eb3df94aa096acd608ec2f0de3f2b085.png

But if I have stupid things (with AutoFill perhaps) in the search field and go site 2, then...

image.png.1ddb700cbb66d2f290b9f4456ff88e49.png

This is what you mean?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

You mean this effect...

But if I have stupid things (with AutoFill perhaps) in the search field and go site 2, then...

This is what you mean?

Yes, and the bug is that it automatically fills in your login info, so for me it filled my email there, that is why I could not go to page 2.

6 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

You mean this effect...

This is what you mean?

Exactly. You're reproducing what happened to OP here.

To be precise, this is two different bugs. There's the search bug here, where the pagination should probably ignore what is in the search fields; and there's another bug with leu mislabelling their search field in a way that tricks the browser into thinking it's a login username form, causing Chrome to fill in the login field there. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hesiod said:

Exactly. You're reproducing what happened to OP here.

I am not sure this is a really bug...

The search field is programmed active - the search field reacts of every refresh / reload or post action from the website.

So if I push the link to side #2 - the search field will be involved at this action. If I fill in "Tetradrachm" I get the results for searching tetradrachms.
If I put "blubfish" into the search field and make an Website action, refresh / reload - the search field is included in this action - and you get what you search - no "blubfish" results.

So for me its no bug = failure.

Its not programmed user like - you can say.

But at the other side - why your browser did automaticly autofill bullshit (sorry) into a field I dont say to my browser - fill please into?
I will say - bad programmed autofill function of the browser.

The website will do what they will do - no results for "blubfish" at any site.

My 2 Cents 😉 

Edited by Prieure de Sion

21 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

I am not sure this is a really bug...

The search field is programmed active - the search field reacts of every refresh / reload or post action from the website.

So if I push the link to side #2 - the search field will be involved at this action. If I fill in "Tetradrachm" I get the results for searching tetradrachms.
If I put "blubfish" into the search field and make an Website action, refresh / reload - the search field is included in this action - and you get what you search - no "blubfish" results.

So for me its no bug = failure.

Its not programmed user like - you can say.

But at the other side - why your browser did automaticly autofill bullshit (sorry) into a field I dont say to my browser - fill please into?
I will say - bad programmed autofill function of the browser.

The website will do what they will do - no results for "blubfish" at any site.

My 2 Cents 😉 

I work in software working on user facing interfaces. I would consider this a bug, every time, though not a particularly high priority one to fix.

Bugs are unexpected user behavior. And no, the autofill issue isn't to be blamed soley on the browser. Modern websites do it just fine. 

But the biggest issue is what happened to OP -- unexpectedly, I can't view any lots! And these are users who have accounts and are likely to buy coins from you. Fixing either of these subissues would resolve the problem; which particular subissue you fix isn't awfully important.

Edited by Hesiod
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, Hesiod said:

I work in software working on user facing interfaces. I would consider this a bug, every time, though not a particularly high priority one to fix.

Bugs are unexpected user behavior. And no, the autofill issue isn't to be blamed soley on the browser. Modern websites do it just fine. 

But the biggest issue is what happened to OP -- unexpectedly, I can't view any lots! And these are users who have accounts and are likely to buy coins from you. Fixing either of these subissues would resolve the problem; which particular subissue you fix isn't awfully important.

Yeah, I don't particularly want to argue about what is a bug or a feature or whose fault it really is, but as somebody who uses web shops, bad functionality is the first thing that usually tips me off that something is not right. I have literally never seen something like this, but if a link leads nowhere (such as clicking on page 2) I start getting very concerned.

Anyways, thanks for the help, hopefully I can snag some nice coins at the upcoming auction! 😀

• Like 2

• Benefactor

I've bought with Leu several times. They're absolutely reputable in terms of their coins.

However, I second the recommendation to be careful what you bid. Prices do go high here, so be prepared to pay the absolute maximum for a target.

The second thing is they have funky bidding rules. Say the current bid is 300 and you put in a max bid of 500. Someone can steal the coin with a last minute bid of 501 because your max bid is only "placed" at the last moment, when it's necessary. Most other auction houses limit bids to the increments, and this is one facet that makes Leu one of the least enjoyable to bid.

For these reasons, I only bid on coins at Leu that are extremely high priorities and I doubt I'll find again for some time.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kirispupis said:

I've bought with Leu several times. They're absolutely reputable in terms of their coins.

However, I second the recommendation to be careful what you bid. Prices do go high here, so be prepared to pay the absolute maximum for a target.

The second thing is they have funky bidding rules. Say the current bid is 300 and you put in a max bid of 500. Someone can steal the coin with a last minute bid of 501 because your max bid is only "placed" at the last moment, when it's necessary. Most other auction houses limit bids to the increments, and this is one facet that makes Leu one of the least enjoyable to bid.

For these reasons, I only bid on coins at Leu that are extremely high priorities and I doubt I'll find again for some time.

Wow, that is pretty nasty, good to know.

I wouldn't say it's nasty, they do have an increment table like most other auction houses (e.g. min increment of 20 between 200 and 499 CHF). But you can bid any amount as long as it's above the minimum increment. So if a coin has a prebid of 320, you can bid 341 and if the other person had their max at 340 you would be winning at 341. The other person can't then bid 342, however, they have to bid at least 20 CHF more.

What people tend to do to compensate is to bid a few francs more than the increment, knowing that people are used to bidding in incremental amounts. So don't place your max at 500 CHF, place it at 501 or 502 instead.

As kirispupis mentions though, the prices can go quite high so don't be fooled by their super low "estimates" or even the low bid activity right up until the lot hammers. Typically it's the final 20 seconds when things start to kick off, particularly the fine 5 seconds.

• Like 4

Will add to the chorus and say as well Leu is definitely one of the top auction houses, both in quality of coins offered and reputation. I find myself more and more allocating a larger share of my budget to Leu; they are probably already the majority share. Only auction house I’ll wake up at 4am to live bid! 

As others have said… if you enter a pre-bid be prepared to likely pay your max. I never, ever, pre-bid and I usually get coins at a reasonable price that way. 

• Like 2

• Benefactor

All I can say is that I've purchased seven ancient coins at Leu Numismatik auctions and am very happy with all of them. I do not recall having any complaints except that one of them took a long time for Leu to send out after I paid for it following the auction.

• Like 4

I've always been happy them too, even though I had to bid very high for the lots I won. But hey, they attract a lot of wealthy bidders with their nice stuff and good advertising, don't they ?

19 hours ago, DonnaML said:

...except that one of them took a long time for Leu to send out after I paid for it following the auction.

@DonnaML, If you're refferring to coins from the Adrian Lang's collection, I had the same issue, which has been explained to me by the long time they had themselves to wait for the german customs to approve and sign the export forms.

I just submitted this thread to them and apparently their software developper fixed the bug was the answer I got

Q

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Qcumbor said:

I've always been happy them too, even though I had to bid very high for the lots I won. But hey, they attract a lot of wealthy bidders with their nice stuff and good advertising, don't they ?

@DonnaML, If you're refferring to coins from the Adrian Lang's collection, I had the same issue, which has been explained to me by the long time they had themselves to wait for the german customs to approve and sign the export forms.

I just submitted this thread to them and apparently their software developper fixed the bug was the answer I got

Q

Looks like they fixed both the bugs I mentioned, nice!

• Like 4
  • Clap 1