Coin from the , "Golden Age of Exploration"

panzerman

When I was in grade five/ my favorite course was "history". That grade we learned about the brave explorers who ventured into the great unknown to find new trade routes/ gold/ mysterious new lands. Portugal under Manuel I/ Joao II/III/ Sebastian I financed men like Cabral/ Diaz/ Henry the "Navigator"/ Magellan to expand Portuguese trade/ influence around the World. Portugal used the symbol of the Cross a lot on their coinage/ many depicted the Calvary Cross that the Romans cruxified Jesus on. This coin I picked up this morning from Sonntag Auction/ shows a ghosting of the Cross/ really neat. Please post your Portuguese coins from that time in history.

AV Cruzado Calvãrio ND

Lisboa Mint

3.60g.     34mm.    1h

Joao III 1521-57

Crowned Arms/ with ghosting of reverse Cross

Calvary Cross

IAONES:III:R:PORTVGALIE

+IN HOC SIG NO VINCES

3379864_1666105439.jpg

• Like 16
  • Yes 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

24 minutes ago, panzerman said:

When I was in grade five/ my favorite course was "history". That grade we learned about the brave explorers who ventured into the great unknown to find new trade routes/ gold/ mysterious new lands. Portugal under Manuel I/ Joao II/III/ Sebastian I financed men like Cabral/ Diaz/ Henry the "Navigator"/ Magellan to expand Portuguese trade/ influence around the World. Portugal used the symbol of the Cross a lot on their coinage/ many depicted the Calvary Cross that the Romans cruxified Jesus on. This coin I picked up this morning from Sonntag Auction/ shows a ghosting of the Cross/ really neat. Please post your Portuguese coins from that time in history.

AV Cruzado Calvãrio ND

Lisboa Mint

3.60g.     34mm.    1h

Joao III 1521-57

Calvary Cross

+IN HOC SIG NO VINCES

3379864_1666105439.jpg

John, That's a very interesting coin 🤨. The diameter of 34 mm is incredibly large for a coin that weighs only 3.60 gm 😮! No doubt the thinness of the flan is responsible for the ghosting 😉.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Al Kowsky said:

John, That's a very interesting coin 🤨. The diameter of 34 mm is incredibly large for a coin that weighs only 3.60 gm 😮! No doubt the thinness of the flan is responsible for the ghosting 😉.

Al/ my mistake ! It should be 23mm. 🤐 Back in grade nine, I got ZERO in typeing class!!!!!! I am pretty good when I look at my keyboard though/ all my data labels are precise. However I goofed up big time this morning. I noted this MS-61 ex. from Goldberg Auction had same ghosting.

image31476.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, panzerman said:

AV Cruzado Calvãrio ND

Lisboa Mint

3.60g.     34mm.    1h

Joao III 1521-57

Calvary Cross

+IN HOC SIG NO VINCES

3379864_1666105439.jpg

Nice coins. I love coins that remind me of the history I learned when I was younger.  Those always have a special meaning even if many are in  low grades in my case.  Its always fun when I can pass a good story along to my children and they're actually interested (they have no interest in numismatics)

• Like 3

Spain/ Valencia

AV Ducato ND  struck circa 1512-16

Valencia Mint

Fernando II 

Fernando and Isabella had financed Columbus to find a shorter trade route to India/ Cathay. He ended up in the Caribbean/ finding new lands for Spain. Cortes/ Pizarro/ Orellana/ De Soto would explore deep into Central America/ Mexico/ SE North America/ and into NW S. America. In the process making Spain a major power with the gold/ silver brought back to Spanish coffers.

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

• Like 6