2022 Top 10 Sulla80

Sulla80

upload_2022-11-24_9-34-46-png.1522239I enjoy Thanksgiving for the look back with gratitude at the year with all the usual highs and lows. In this forum we can be grateful for interests, history, ideas and coins shared.  An new development this year, the "Social Media Rebellion of 2022" and a burst of entrepreneurial innovation created this forum!

Marcius Porcius Cato describes a Spring ritual of gratitude to Jupiter before the planting of millet, panic grass, garlic, and lentils.

"CXXXII. The offering is to be made in this way: Offer to Jupiter Dapalis a cup of wine of any size you wish, observing the day as a holiday for the oxen, the teamsters, and those who make the offering. In making the offering use this formula: “Jupiter Dapalis, inasmuch as it is fitting that a cup of wine be offered thee, in my house and in the midst of my people, for thy sacred feast; and to that end, be thou honored by the offering of this food.”
-Cato the Elder, On Agriculture, CXXXII

The Romans also celebrated the new vintage with Meditrinalia on October 11th.

"In the month of October, the Meditrinaliae ‘Festival of Meditrina’ was named from mederi ‘to be healed,’ because Flaccus the special priest of Mars used to say that on this day it was the practice to pour an offering of new and old wine to the god, and to taste of the same, for the purpose of being healed; which many are accustomed to do even now, when they say: Wine new and old I drink, of illness new and old I’m cured."
-Varro, On the Latin Language

My Top 10 for 2022 are posted here for your entertainment: https://www.sullacoins.com/post/top-10-for-2022

Best Wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving!

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 26
  • Cookie 2
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

52 minutes ago, zadie said:

My clear favourite is #7. Partly because I'm stuck in Lepidus purgatory when it comes to his moneyer issues. None of them in my collection! Yours is absolutely wonderful

Here's my favorite Lepidus with Mark Antony - a denarius from the short period just before the second triumvirate formed - Anthony and Lepidus decide they need each other, Octavian join the opportunistic trio shortly after.

https://www.sullacoins.com/post/untitled

62a3d9_6d65251cee4a4e16967ec46c6779058b~

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 4

4 minutes ago, Sulla80 said:

Here's my favorite Lepidus with Mark Antony - a denarius from the short period just before the second triumvirate formed - Anthony and Lepidus decide they need each other, Octavian join the opportunistic trio shortly after.

Woah! Must have missed this one when browsing your website. This sure is a rare type, I'm only a little jealous 😩

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 12:38 PM, Sulla80 said:

upload_2022-11-24_9-34-46-png.1522239I enjoy Thanksgiving for the look back with gratitude at the year with all the usual highs and lows. In this forum we can be grateful for interests, history, ideas and coins shared.  An new development this year, the "Social Media Rebellion of 2022" and a burst of entrepreneurial innovation created this forum!

Marcius Porcius Cato describes a Spring ritual of gratitude to Jupiter before the planting of millet, panic grass, garlic, and lentils.

"CXXXII. The offering is to be made in this way: Offer to Jupiter Dapalis a cup of wine of any size you wish, observing the day as a holiday for the oxen, the teamsters, and those who make the offering. In making the offering use this formula: “Jupiter Dapalis, inasmuch as it is fitting that a cup of wine be offered thee, in my house and in the midst of my people, for thy sacred feast; and to that end, be thou honored by the offering of this food.”
-Cato the Elder, On Agriculture, CXXXII

The Romans also celebrated the new vintage with Meditrinalia on October 11th.

"In the month of October, the Meditrinaliae ‘Festival of Meditrina’ was named from mederi ‘to be healed,’ because Flaccus the special priest of Mars used to say that on this day it was the practice to pour an offering of new and old wine to the god, and to taste of the same, for the purpose of being healed; which many are accustomed to do even now, when they say: Wine new and old I drink, of illness new and old I’m cured."
-Varro, On the Latin Language

My Top 10 for 2022 are posted here for your entertainment: https://www.sullacoins.com/post/top-10-for-2022

Best Wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving!

Visited your site.  What a great Top 10 for 2022!  Congrats.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 3:29 PM, Sulla80 said:

Agreed.  Very cool coin. "Thus, quoth the raven..."

Mine:

634289958_RImpLepidusMarcAntony43BCARquinarius13_9m1.82gMilitarymintTransAlGaulpontificateCr489-3Syd1158aRSC3RARE.JPG.778d4aabbb031b6714a985b3ff7e5c05.JPG

RImp Lepidus Marc Antony 43 BC AR quinarius 13.9m 1.82g Raven Military mint TransAl Gaul pontif Cr 489-3 Syd 1158a RSC3 R

• Like 7