Jump to content

When Rare Is not Really All That Rare


David Atherton
 Share

Recommended Posts

There are many bronze issues that were minted during Vespasian's reign in which every coin is considered rare. Rare varieties will outnumber common ones. My latest addition is from just such an issue. Sometimes rarity is subjective.

 

V504.jpg.c0af0ada5773863aafa8773de161df0b.jpg

Titus as Caesar [Vespasian]

Æ Dupondius, 12.09g
Rome mint, 72 AD
Obv: T CAESAR VESPASIAN IMP III PON TR POT II COS II: Head of Titus, radiate, r.
Rev: FELICITAS PVBLICA; S C in field; Felicitas standing l., holding caduceus and cornucopiae
RIC 482 (R2). BMC -. BNC -.
Acquired from Forvm Ancient Coins, October 2022.

All the bronze coinage of Titus Caesar's fourth issue dated IMP III PON TR POT II COS II of 72 are quite rare. This Felicitas variety is cited by RIC in only the Rome and Belgrade collections. Despite its fleeting nature early on, Felicitas later became one of the commonest bronze reverse types of the reign. Here she symbolises the prosperity and abundance Vespasian has brought to the empire.

As always, thanks for looking!

Edited by David Atherton
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, friedberg said:

Hello David,

very nice Coin ! Congratulations ! I think it is: RIC II 1² Vespasian 482 (R2)

Obv: T CAESAR VESPASIAN IMP III PON TR POT II COS II ???

With friendly greetings from Germany

Quite right! COS III is just as rare as COS IIII, which I suppose further makes the point of the discussion!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, David Atherton said:

There are many bronze issues that were minted during Vespasian's reign in which every coin is considered rare. Rare varieties will outnumber common ones. My latest addition is from just such an issue. Sometimes rarity is subjective.

 

V504.jpg.c0af0ada5773863aafa8773de161df0b.jpg

Titus as Caesar [Vespasian]

Æ Dupondius, 12.09g
Rome mint, 72 AD
Obv: T CAESAR VESPASIAN IMP III PON TR POT II COS II: Head of Titus, radiate, r.
Rev: FELICITAS PVBLICA; S C in field; Felicitas standing l., holding caduceus and cornucopiae
RIC 482 (R2). BMC -. BNC -.
Acquired from Forvm Ancient Coins, October 2022.

All the bronze coinage of Titus Caesar's fourth issue dated IMP III PON TR POT II COS II of 72 are quite rare. This Felicitas variety is cited by RIC in only the Rome and Belgrade collections. Despite its fleeting nature early on, Felicitas later became one of the commonest bronze reverse types of the reign. Here she symbolises the prosperity and abundance Vespasian has brought to the empire.

As always, thanks for looking!

David, Interesting (Rare or Not) score 😉. I've heard it said by many collectors "The most common ancient coins are the Rare ones" 🤣. Pictured below is a Titus coin in my collection that I consider Rare. Five examples are listed & pictured in RPC II 1969. The ANS example pictured by RPC had a protonic absorption analysis done on it & revealed a silver fineness of .895 & copper fineness of .098.

1549040597_TitusRPCII19695specimensAWKCollection.jpg.89b59b44c60d167a4f2ba49970dd9e7e.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a "rare" drachm of Marcus Aurelius from Alexandria. Supposed to be rare according to the dealer. Supposedly the Elpis hitching skirt and holding a flower is a rare emission.

Type: AE Drachm, 33mm, 22.95 grams Obverse: Bare headed and draped bust of Aurelius right M AVPHLIOC KAICAP Reverse: Elpis Standing left holding flower and hitching skirt LEND EKATOV Reference: BMC 1238 listed as "rare" by R.A. Numismatics (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/marcus-aurelius-drachm-of-alexandria.320744/)

 

aurelius.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, most collectors nowadays rate condition higher than rarity.

I have only one coin from that fourth issue with IMP III TR POT II COS II

1500917275_RIC_II_1_485_av_vespasian.jpg.e21492bb7a7e0d242567ab850e993b44.jpg

509087624_RIC_II_1_485_rv_vespasian.jpg.0f3f483a58e124bd44b2d8eed38b6033.jpg

1910375557_Rand_RIC_II_1_485_vespasian.jpg.d266a58cd63d7b744eafb104941556aa.jpg

RIC II 1² Vespasian 485 (R2), 10.12g, ROM 72 n. Chr.

Obv: T CAESAR VESPASIAN IMP III PON TR POT II COS II

Rev: VICTORIA AVGVSTI; S C

 

With friendly greetings from Germany

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This coin is only one known from type.

AV Triens ND

Theudebertus II 595-612AD

Brioud Mint

Regnum Francorum/ Merovingian Kingdom of Austrasia/Auvergne

Only two AV Triens known from this ruler/ most regnal coinage are super rare in actual exs. known. On the otherhand/ AV 5 Pound "Una and the Lion" appear often in auctions and go for big $$$.

5e57f13e7bfa2bcb1973bc60c730d736 (3).jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, friedberg said:

Unfortunately, most collectors nowadays rate condition higher than rarity.

 

That is so true/ esp. with slabbed coins. I have seen MS-65s go for 6-10X times more/ then exact same coin in CNG Auction graded only EF-CH.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, friedberg said:

Unfortunately, most collectors nowadays rate condition higher than rarity.

I have only one coin from that fourth issue with IMP III TR POT II COS II

1500917275_RIC_II_1_485_av_vespasian.jpg.e21492bb7a7e0d242567ab850e993b44.jpg

509087624_RIC_II_1_485_rv_vespasian.jpg.0f3f483a58e124bd44b2d8eed38b6033.jpg

1910375557_Rand_RIC_II_1_485_vespasian.jpg.d266a58cd63d7b744eafb104941556aa.jpg

RIC II 1² Vespasian 485 (R2), 10.12g, ROM 72 n. Chr.

Obv: T CAESAR VESPASIAN IMP III PON TR POT II COS II

Rev: VICTORIA AVGVSTI; S C

 

With friendly greetings from Germany

Great photos ☺️!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, panzerman said:

That is so true/ esp. with slabbed coins. I have seen MS-65s go for 6-10X times more/ then exact same coin in CNG Auction graded only EF-CH.

John, That's a good point, & as it should be 🤔! Determining the condition of a coin, along with the style & quality of strike have become more refined & should impact the value of a coin. Most collectors today realize the old style of grading means next to nothing, especially with ancient coins. That's why grading companies like NGC are moving the hobby in the right direction ☺️.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, friedberg said:

Unfortunately, most collectors nowadays rate condition higher than rarity.

I have only one coin from that fourth issue with IMP III TR POT II COS II

1500917275_RIC_II_1_485_av_vespasian.jpg.e21492bb7a7e0d242567ab850e993b44.jpg

509087624_RIC_II_1_485_rv_vespasian.jpg.0f3f483a58e124bd44b2d8eed38b6033.jpg

1910375557_Rand_RIC_II_1_485_vespasian.jpg.d266a58cd63d7b744eafb104941556aa.jpg

RIC II 1² Vespasian 485 (R2), 10.12g, ROM 72 n. Chr.

Obv: T CAESAR VESPASIAN IMP III PON TR POT II COS II

Rev: VICTORIA AVGVSTI; S C

 

With friendly greetings from Germany

Superb portrait on that one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...