Fleeing Twitter for Mastodon

DLTcoins

As Twitter implodes, many seem to be fleeing to Mastodon. I have been on Twitter for the last 13 years and have enjoyed the numismatics, archaeology and history community there. Unlike Twitter, Mastodon is decentralized with an abundance of servers, called "instances". While any Mastodon user can follow any other user on any server, it's my understanding that it's best to choose as one's home a smaller instance populated with like-minded folk. Is anyone aware of a numismatics-based or archaeology-based Mastodon instance?

Edited by DLTcoins
  • Like 4

zirk.us advertises itself as being oriented to "Literature, philosophy, film, music, culture, politics, history, architecture: join the circus of the arts and humanities! For readers, writers, academics or anyone wanting to follow the conversation."

As far as I can tell, no one on Mastodon is using the #numismatics tag, and there is very little for archaeology and ancient history.  I see a few people using #rome, mostly about the city.

Edited by Ed Snible
add hyperlink
  • Like 3

I use twitter only for Ukraine related stuff and I signed up for it when I still lived there.  We also have telegram but unfortunately it compromised by the horde from the east lately.  At least until couple of weeks ago twitter was not owned by hostile foreign agents - space karen.

But naming a communication platform after extinct animal?

• Like 4

• Benefactor

I quit Twitter back around 2015, when I decided that it was a toxic cesspool, with 50% of the people harassing the other 50%.  The only time I go there anymore is to follow breaking news, for which I admit it can be useful if one sticks to reputable sources. It updates far more quickly than say, Google News. The only social media site to which I actually contribute is Facebook. I belong to a couple of numismatic groups there, as well as several devoted to Jewish history and genealogy (my other primary "hobby") and some other areas of interest. It's enough already! 

I admit, though, that I find what's going on with "Space Karen" to be entertaining from afar. Schadenfreude is always rewarding. As long as I don't think too much about all the people who've lost their jobs because of him, that is.

• Like 5

I found https://hcommons.social/ (currently not accepting new members; "supporting scholars and practitioners across the humanities and around the world.") and https://archaeo.social/ ("for archaeologists, historians and lovers of all things ancient.").

Pick your site wisely; if you decide to start over on a new server your posts and followers don't come with you.

• Like 2

I really wish Musk had focused all his energy on SpaceX (I don't even care for Tesla, there're are other companies that can fill in for electric vehicles) but SpaceX is a pioneer in it's field, a private entity reaching for the cosmos. Oh well, as there's a saying in Sanskrit "Vinasha kale vipareetha buddhi", meaning 'Destruction dark contrast wit', in this case having 'too much' money can make a man go crazy!

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Ed Snible said:

I found https://hcommons.social/ (currently not accepting new members; "supporting scholars and practitioners across the humanities and around the world.") and https://archaeo.social/ ("for archaeologists, historians and lovers of all things ancient.").

Pick your site wisely; if you decide to start over on a new server your posts and followers don't come with you.

I created an account on zirk.us this morning, which is the one I had in mind when I posted. A British Museum curator that I follow on Twitter had mentioned zirk.us a few days ago. Archaeo.social looks like a good source for accounts to follow but I like the broader humanities focus of zirk.us. Thank you everyone for your input. I will also continue on Twitter, at least for now.

Edited by DLTcoins
  • Like 2