New artefact, would like to hear some opinions

Hello again,

I just bought this relief fragment from Rolf (Helios).

There's an old label on it, which says "Pompei". I doubt that it really comes from Pompei due to the condition (Still bought it because I like it). Seems to be a goddess, wearing a peplos and the material is Terracotta.

Do you have seen similar objects?

antiquitiesgreekterrecottapotterygoddess-14-nov-22-2.jpg

antiquitiesgreekterrecottapotterygoddess-14-nov-22-2a.jpg

antiquitiesgreekterrecottapotterygoddess-14-nov-22-2b.jpg

antiquitiesgreekterrecottapotterygoddess-14-nov-22-2c.jpg

antiquitiesgreekterrecottapotterygoddess-14-nov-22-2d.jpg

antiquitiesgreekterrecottapotterygoddess-14-nov-22-2e.jpg

Edited by Mucius Scaevola
  • Like 12
  • Heart Eyes 1

Thank you! I liked it (even if the face looks like Iron Maiden designed it) and thought 2 days about it, so I just took the chance. Artifacts like this are rarely listed more than a week at Helios.

The price was quite fair and adjusted to the fact that it's not sure that it came from Pompeii. I now contacted several Pompeii experts from all over the world and will see if someone is going to reply. But it has to be a part from something bigger, as it's just a fragment. My hope is that one or more of them will recognize the style or anything else. As the label seems to be from the 19th century or early 20th, why should someone write Pompei on it? A modern label would be to sell it easier but back then?

iron_maiden-the_book_of_souls_cover.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, shanxi said:

I'm not familiar with this kind of objects, but with the side parts on the left and right of the goddess, I wonder if it could have been part of some kind of vessel???

The goddess ?? Aphrodite ????

It was more like a part of a wall decoration or it is a caryatid I guess. I don't think that Terracotta artifacts would be a good idea to place on a vessel?

• Like 1

I can only repeat what I already wrote here:

Helios Gallery is a great place to buy artifacts! Rolf is such a nice person, if you're not happy with the item you can return it any time. You can always ask for a discount and if you have questions about the background informations, he'll answer. Even months after you bought it. His prices are pretty fair, too!

• Like 2

• Benefactor

I agree with @Mucius Scaevola in highly recommending Helios Gallery. I've bought a number of artifacts from Rolf, most recently the terracotta bust -- possibly intended to depict Faustina II -- that I posted and discussed at https://www.numisforums.com/topic/199-a-thread-for-my-antiquities/page/2/#comment-3796 .  Importantly, I believe that Rolf pays more than lip service to the ethical sourcing of the artifacts that Helios sells. One doesn't have to worry that one is buying something dug up last month somewhere and smuggled into the UK.

• Like 1
  • Yes 1
  • Cookie 1

3 hours ago, antwerpen2306 said:

Wich date Rolf gives you ?

1st century or older which is, even to me, logical if it's a Campana relief.

There are more examples, but the style from the one shanxi posted, was later often copied by the Romans, in the 1st century and even before that.

Forget Pompeii for a moment, it's what one of the preowners thought or got told.

No @Prieure de Sion but I like to hear that! 😉