Thinking of buying this new coin. Any thoughts?

Hughie Dwyer

This coin of Trajan will help to propel my '5 Good Emperors' set.

I was wondering whether anyone had any similar coins to this. I started to do research, but only briefly. Does anyone have any info?

Also, I would like to know if coins like this (<$200) are available often.

Thank you

HD

Obverse:

IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P. Laureate bust right, with slight drapery.

Reverse:

COS V P P SPQR OPTIMO PRINC. Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopia.

Weight:

2.89 grams.

Diameter:

19.05 mm.

Screenshot 2022-11-08 18.26.59.png

• Like 9

Nice coin.

Denarii of Trajan are generally very common and should easily be available in pretty nice condition for around $100, give or take. For reference, here is my Trajan denarius which cost about that:

20220528_170750.jpg.e8f313a97f8dfddd0617bbe419045815.jpg

If you hunt around a bit, you will probably be able to find decent examples for even less.

• Like 8

I have a coin quite similar to that, and it is one that I should have passed on in favour of another type. That legend with someone standing there on the reverse is very common. Trajan has few more interesting historical types that the money would be better spent on IMO. VIA TRAIANA, commemorating his road, DIVUS PATER TRAIAN, commemorating the deification of his biological father, DANVIVS with the Danube river god, the Trajan's column types, ARAB ADQ types commemorating the annexation of Arabia, ALIM ITAL type commemorating the foundation of the Alimenta Charity initiative for Roman orphans, There's the DAC CAP type commemorating conquering Dacia. There are probably more but I can't recall all of them!

Here's mine here. My first denarii that I overpaid for at £60

image.png.b503d8d050b7832ec4a790631c6be493.png

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 7

I dont know how much it is listed for, is it 200? Personally, I think there are definitely better coins for that money out there. Take a look at e.g. MA shops, or on biddr. Trajan also has coins with more interesting reverses, but thats a matter of taste of course! 

• Like 3

• Benefactor
8 minutes ago, Hughie Dwyer said:

Sadly, I was beaten to this coin but, as you have said, there are many places where a coin like this may show up. 👍

I sincerely hope that no one here picked up the coin based on your mention, but as a general rule you shouldn't mention a coin unless you've already locked it up. It's just way too tempting for someone to pick up something of interest.

There are some here who won't even post a coin they've purchased but haven't received yet, for fear of jinxing the postal delivery.

Recently, I was so paranoid about it that in the alphabet thread, I was going to post a Sabakes tet for "S", but held back. The reason: I was bidding on an Okhos tet a few days later and I was worried that my Sabakes example would lead someone to look up other Archaemenid Egyptian tets and bid on mine. I'm not sure if that helped, but I did win the coin. 🙂

On our "previous" forum there was an individual, who thankfully is not on this one, who used to post coins at auction and ask about bidding on them, and they were consequently bid up. I'm not sure if it was forum members bidding or just her lack of understanding of the value - and that such coins would be bid up, but AFAIK she didn't win any. I always wondered whether they were her coins in the first place and she was trying to drive up prices, but I digress.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

I sincerely hope that no one here picked up the coin based on your mention, but as a general rule you shouldn't mention a coin unless you've already locked it up. It's just way too tempting for someone to pick up something of interest.

There are some here who won't even post a coin they've purchased but haven't received yet, for fear of jinxing the postal delivery.

Recently, I was so paranoid about it that in the alphabet thread, I was going to post a Sabakes tet for "S", but held back. The reason: I was bidding on an Okhos tet a few days later and I was worried that my Sabakes example would lead someone to look up other Archaemenid Egyptian tets and bid on mine. I'm not sure if that helped, but I did win the coin. 🙂

On our "previous" forum there was an individual, who thankfully is not on this one, who used to post coins at auction and ask about bidding on them, and they were consequently bid up. I'm not sure if it was forum members bidding or just her lack of understanding of the value - and that such coins would be bid up, but AFAIK she didn't win any. I always wondered whether they were her coins in the first place and she was trying to drive up prices, but I digress.

Yes, be careful, on the other hand, its difficult to know what to do when youre new  to the hobby and have questions about a coin you want to purchase. @Hughie DwyerPerhaps try to send a private message to a member of this board. If you have a question you can ask me, and ill try to help you as best as I can (I dont have all the knowledge in the world though!)

Edited by Limes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree that you shouldn't post coins that are currently for sale as you might have a surprise and somebody to ... like it.
The coin was good but not fantastic in my opinion. You will surely find a Trajan nice denarius, with a decent price. What I would recommend - try to find one with a more interesting reverse. Trajan coins have a variety of reverses, many of them more interesting than Aequitas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hughie Dwyer said:

Thank you everyone!

Sadly, I was beaten to this coin but, as you have said, there are many places where a coin like this may show up. 👍

Thanks again.

I hope to post again soon with a nice new Trajan denarius. In the meantime, let the research continue! 😀

HD

I think this is a blessing in disguise. You will certainly be able to redirect those funds to a more interesting type which provides a much better story.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kirispupis said:

I hope you purchased the coin, because it's sold now. 🙂

Wasn't me 🙂...Interestingly when I started collecting this type was my 2nd Denarius I ever bought ..It was around 30 bucks...

normal_trajtogether__1_-removebg-preview.png.1c01f4007c89838d8199332ef46d216a.png

Trajan ar Denarius 98-117AD 20mm/2.66gr (Minted 103-111AD)

Obverse-IMPTRAIANO AVG GER DAC PMTRP laureate bust right, slight drapery on left shoulder

Reverse-COS VPPS PQR OPTIMO PRINC Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae.

RIC II# 118

• Like 11

This Aequitas type seems to be fairly common for Trajan.  I say this because I have two of them, both low grade cheapies off eBay.  That being said, cheap denarii of Trajan are not really all that common on eBay, even lousy ones. 

208382484_Trajan-Den.AequitasOct2013(0).jpg.a69f9bf45dc4a38d7dad0ffdf06c7fde.jpg

Trajan  Denarius (103-111 A.D.) Rome Mint IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P, laureate bust right, draped far shoulder / COS V PP SPQR OPTIMO PRINC, Aequitas standing left with scales & cornucopiae. RIC 118; RSC 85; BMC 281. (3.16 grams / 17 mm) eBay Oct. 2013 $17.21 BIN 

This one seems to be an upgrade in terms of appearance - I got this one for $9.99 "buy it now" this past February.  Seller said it was not authentic - every once in a while an eBay seller who doesn't know ancients will list something as fake, just because they don't know about such things - an admirable, but rare trait.  This is a bit light at 2.51 grams, so maybe it is fake, or fourree, but other than the weight, it looks pretty good to me, slightly more attractive than the first one.  

1367563298_Trajan-DenariusAequitasFeb2022(0aa1).jpg.3f1e19f4b4df24d300e49106f1ae07d3.jpg

Trajan  Denarius (103-111 A.D.) Rome Mint IMP TRAIANO AVG GER  DAC P M TR P, laureate bust right, draped left shoulder / COS V PP SPQR OPTI[MOPR]INC, Aequitas standing left with scales & cornucopiae. RIC 118; RSC 85; BMC 281. (2.51 grams / 17 mm) eBay Feb. 2022 $9.95 BIN

• Like 10