Kimon Decadrachm at Numismatica Genevensis SA

Cordoba

I could sell my house, car, coin collection, wife and kids.....and still wouldn't be anywhere near it.

Actually, I might get paid to keep the wife and kids.

Spectacular coin, though the following lot in this sale is anothet dekadrachm, which I actually like more.

image00014.jpg?1665682115

https://media.numisbids.com/sales/hosted/ngsa/016/image00014.jpg?1665682115

Edited by Di Nomos
  • Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Mind blown 2
  • Shock 1

8 minutes ago, Di Nomos said:

I could sell my house, car, coin collection, wife and kids.....and still wouldn't be anywhere near it.

Actually, I might get paid to keep the wife and kids.

Spectacular coin, though the following lot in this sale is anothet dekadrachm, which I actually like more.

image00014.jpg?1665682115

https://media.numisbids.com/sales/hosted/ngsa/016/image00014.jpg?1665682115

The portrait side of this treasure is breathtaking 😮! The signature KIMON on the dolphin is the clearest I have ever seen on a coin of this type ☺️.

• Like 5
  • Mind blown 1

Incredible coins, thank you for posting! and at least the 20th claim by the seller  this year of the "finest known".  😀

The αθλα section in the exergue is far from the best, though I'll still accept  it as a gift, albeit with some reluctance!

Edited by Deinomenid
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

Both are undeniably great coins. I personally prefer the art of one particular unsigned die to most signed examples but the Jongkees 1 is a masterpiece.

Here's my Kimon for comparison; a grade lower than the NGSA coins but I'm happy with it for the strike/centering/style:

Kimon.jpg.85e4143fbb27d80c5f713ed6eda00cfa.jpg

Edited by AncientJoe
  • Like 20
  • Gasp 1
  • Heart Eyes 4
  • Mind blown 2

• Benefactor

The remarkably beautiful OP coin is greatly enhanced by the crisp dies, lack of die rust, excellent metal quality and high grade.  All these bells and whistles, along with the panache that comes with these Syracuse decadrachms, and by association the tetradrachms, will assure, I am certain, of a very healthy hammer price for the coin, in excess of $100,000 at the least.

On 10/15/2022 at 11:15 AM, AncientJoe said:

Both are undeniably great coins. I personally prefer the art of one particular unsigned die to most signed examples but the Jongkees 1 is a masterpiece.

Here's my Kimon for comparison; a grade lower than the NGSA coins but I'm happy with it for the strike/centering/style:

Kimon.jpg.85e4143fbb27d80c5f713ed6eda00cfa.jpg

That is a an absolutely beautiful decadrachm!  The toning and strike are exceptional.

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 4

These coins are so incredibly, incredibly cool! I had the pleasure of seeing one at the Dresden Royal (Saxonian) Cabinet this summer. The relief is crazy, especially the eyes were very deep and the hair stood out at least 1mm or two! My pictures are terrible, unfortunately, but this is one of the coins one just has to see in person!

20220812_141806.jpg.5edff8c23ab09d1b65fa8cc35f434a7e.jpg

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Helvius Pertinax said:

These coins are so incredibly, incredibly cool! I had the pleasure of seeing one at the Dresden Royal (Saxonian) Cabinet this summer. The relief is crazy, especially the eyes were very deep and the hair stood out at least 1mm or two! My pictures are terrible, unfortunately, but this is one of the coins one just has to see in person!

20220812_141806.jpg.5edff8c23ab09d1b65fa8cc35f434a7e.jpg

At the ANA summer seminar they took out theirs and passed it around the class and we each spent as much time as we wanted handling it. A nice perk in addition the excellent instructors in the class.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Funny thing is though, those prices are so extraordinary (for me at least...) that I dont know if those prices realised are 'doofus' (dit I type this right?) prices, normal market prices, or bargains...!

Berk in their latest podacst commented on the estimates in the NAC sales, saying the previous buyer sold them at insane prices, hence the estimates are absurd as well. I dont know if these decadrachms were from the sjeik too, but the estimates turned out okay, a bit on the low side even. 

• Like 1

What's extraordinary to  me is the  very next lot - pictured  here - sold for  one sixteenth or  just ~6% of the prior lots. I can't fathom that the difference is so vast. I understand that some  want and can afford  only the very  best, price almost  no  object, but to see them next to each other and have such a price ratio between them is beyond me. To me that's doofus-like, although I thought that term offended some viewers and they were changing the term!

It was hardly an awful coin either, especially the Arethusa side - described as "Très bel exemplaire. Almost extremely fine".

3355838_1665562327.jpg

• Like 4
  • Mind blown 1
  • Yes 1

3 hours ago, Limes said:

. I dont know if these decadrachms were from the sjeik too, but the estimates turned out okay, a bit on the low side even. 

I am absolutely in no way precisely  knowledgeable  about whose coins are whose but I think the Sheik's coins are sold under the  name "A Man in Love  with Art" so the above coins are not his.

Eg these are.

• Thanks 1

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Deinomenid said:

What's extraordinary to  me is the  very next lot - pictured  here - sold for  one sixteenth or  just ~6% of the prior lots. I can't fathom that the difference is so vast. I understand that some  want and can afford  only the very  best, price almost  no  object, but to see them next to each other and have such a price ratio between them is beyond me. To me that's doofus-like, although I thought that term offended some viewers and they were changing the term!

It was hardly an awful coin either, especially the Arethusa side - described as "Très bel exemplaire. Almost extremely fine".

I can understand the price difference.

• You're only getting one dolphin, vs in the second example above you get four. Dolphins are important.
  • In the second example, the bottom dolphin has a clear "Kimon" engraved
  • The one you mentioned has a pretty bad flan crack.
  • The portrait is a bit off center, while it's near perfect for the other two.
  • It's not as sharp. A lot of details are missing on the obverse and the strands of hair aren't as visible on the reverse
  • It's hard to say, but it looks like some repairs were done around the edges

Granted, as you say, this is a better coin than I'll ever have, but I can see the reasons for the price difference. Top quality coins go for exponentially more because these guys have huge egos and want to say they own the best.

What I find interesting is that IMHO the one that sold for 600K is superior to that which sold for 750K. The four dolphins and "Kimon" get me. There is also the 'K' on the crown. I'm guessing what drove the first one higher is the fact that the obverse on the second is a bit off center, the details on the obverse bottom are a bit more corroded, and there's a slight gash across the face. All that being said, I still would have paid more for the second.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Glebe said:

Personally I think they could all do with some cleaning - Tarnoff (sulphamic acid & thiourea) would do the trick nicely.

I wouldn't dare cleaning a 100$ coin myself, so cleaning something like the ones above, well, I don't even imagine...

Q