Jump to content

NEW TITLE...HEY!...LQQK AT MY 'NEW' NERO JANUS TEMPLE As...^^ FROM AMARSO66 ON BAY


ominus1
 Share

Recommended Posts

...oh you know the story... haha...well, i got a new coin ...not to mention a roller coaster of emotions 😄  i've been wanting one of these forever...so long that i couldn't believe i got one for that price...and i was searching for a nero coin for someone else here...good karma with a bad nerve or two

Nero Temple of Janus

24.5mm, 9.76gms

PAST AWAY PEEPS! 🙂

 

 

IMG_1398.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG

Edited by ominus1
  • Like 5
  • Cool Think 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Spaniard said:

🤷‍♂️can't see what's happening with the coin?....Is it tooled?

its a copy that's been nicked and chinged with the face mostly removed because the copy is made with Nero's face smaller...he ain't no Carl Becker 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Spaniard said:

🤷‍♂️can't see what's happening with the coin?....Is it tooled?

.....i don't know...you tell me...it weighs about right at 9.76gm 24mm...maybe its legit and i'm just in need of a valium..and some crow...:P

IMG_1386.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Jay GT4 said:

Looks like a perfectly legitimate over cleaned, worn coin to me.

...yup.. me too...now...i had already convinced myself it was a copy...i would blame this on old age, but that's BS...i've been like this for years, just not lately...^^ thanks for ringin' in..:)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jay GT4 said:

Looks like a perfectly legitimate over cleaned, worn coin to me.

I was thinking the same...But we're working from slightly blurred photos..@ominus1 you have the coin in hand so really it's your shout.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • ominus1 changed the title to NEW TITLE...HEY!...LQQK AT MY 'NEW' NERO JANUS TEMPLE As...^^ FROM AMARSO66 ON BAY
9 minutes ago, Ryro said:

Hold the phones. Now that I'm seeing this sellers inventory, I do believe he is selling knock offs!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115548233093?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=_qHO4ww2Snu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=_1v8MZbJQpa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

His reviews say as much

..there's pitting on the obverse of this one too!......ah, idk... whatdya think?..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The coin and most of the ones he has on eBay strike me as terrible examples shown in poor photos making it had to say whether they are real or not.  However, real or fake makes no difference to me here.  I see nothing there that I would consider worth the postage let alone cost of the coin.  We each must decide just how bad is too bad to consider.  I have coins in my collection that are this bad but they tend to be very rare, something in my specialty or date back when I was new enough that I did not know better. Today many people will only have mint state coins and I am not one but ask yourself if you really want this level or would pay a bit more for one just a bit prettier.  Overall I believe his ID's seem correct.  The Nero Janus is a special favorite of mine.  This one if far from high grade but appealed to me with the temple facing left.

rb1125fd3268hd.jpg.96a233055a0786bd871ea68f65b2a8b3.jpg

  • Like 9
  • Cool Think 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, this post made me nervous, @ominus1 😓   The reason being I just bought something off this seller in August. 

Here it is - he didn't know what it was, but I recognized the Apollo Salutari type of Trebonianus Gallus - unique to that emperor and thought to be connected to one of the horrible plagues afflicting the empire at that time.  The flan is very square and underweight, but I really liked how it looked otherwise, and it was dirt cheap.  In hand, I was quite pleased with it, despite all the missing legends.  

776183877_TrebonianusGallus-SestertiusAPOLLOSALVTARIRIC104a-MINEAug2022pic.jpg.f0113d9f2b2490ebc56b1ff782bb6cf8.jpg

Trebonianus Gallus Æ Sestertius  (251-253 A.D.) Rome Mint 6th Officina, 4th emission  [IMP CAE(S) C VIB(IVS) T]RE[B(ONIANVS) GALLVS AVG], laureate, draped and cuirassed bust r. / [APOLLO SALV]TARI, S-C, Apollo standing left holding branch and leaning on lyre set on rock. (11.74 grams / 24 x 21 mm) eBay Aug. 2022 (Spain) $14.40 

 Attribution:  Based on more intact die-matches (which see): RIC IV 104a (sestertius);  Banti 6; Cohen 21.

RIC 103:   APOLL SALVT...

RIC 104a: APOLLO SALVT... "APOLLO instead of APOLL.   This type is much rarer." "Four Bad Years" Note:  not sure of this; quite a few on  acsearch (see die-matches)

Attribution Notes:  Despite low  weight, probably a sestertius based on bust and Apollo size:  

RIC 103:  Long obverse legend  with APOLL reverse.  No As. 

RIC 104a:  Long obverse legend, with APOLLO;  Sest. and As.

RIC 104b:  Short obverse legend, with APOLLO;  Sest. and As.

Die-Match Characteristics: 

Obv.:  Large, upwards ties.

Rev.:  Detailed lyre; S large, C small, at corner of lyre; narrow A, sloppy R in SALVTARI.

Obverse (?) and Reverse:

CNG, Inc. Auction 94;  Lot 1193; 18.09.2013

Reverse only:

CNG, Inc. Elec. Auction 286; Lot 370; 05.09.2012

Baldwin's Auction 100; Lot 847; 27.09.2016

This post made me question it, although looking at the seller's other auctions, I didn't see too many red flags.  So I decided to do an acsearch for die-matches and found a few likely candidates - I am never entirely sure about die-matches on ancients, but here are some I found (obv./rev. and a rev. only) - these always make me feel a bit more secure when it comes to authenticity:

633716319_TrebonianusGallus-SestertiusAPOLLOSALVTARIRIC104a-MINEAug2022picCOMP.jpg.84c23b271a750a34f66880471225e1c9.jpg

So, I like your OP, and it doesn't look fake to me, at least in the usual Bulgarian pressed way that you see all over.  

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marsyas Mike said:

Wow, this post made me nervous, @ominus1 😓   The reason being I just bought something off this seller in August. 

Here it is - he didn't know what it was, but I recognized the Apollo Salutari type of Trebonianus Gallus - unique to that emperor and thought to be connected to one of the horrible plagues afflicting the empire at that time.  The flan is very square and underweight, but I really liked how it looked otherwise, and it was dirt cheap.  In hand, I was quite pleased with it, despite all the missing legends.  

776183877_TrebonianusGallus-SestertiusAPOLLOSALVTARIRIC104a-MINEAug2022pic.jpg.f0113d9f2b2490ebc56b1ff782bb6cf8.jpg

Trebonianus Gallus Æ Sestertius  (251-253 A.D.) Rome Mint 6th Officina, 4th emission  [IMP CAE(S) C VIB(IVS) T]RE[B(ONIANVS) GALLVS AVG], laureate, draped and cuirassed bust r. / [APOLLO SALV]TARI, S-C, Apollo standing left holding branch and leaning on lyre set on rock. (11.74 grams / 24 x 21 mm) eBay Aug. 2022 (Spain) $14.40 

 Attribution:  Based on more intact die-matches (which see): RIC IV 104a (sestertius);  Banti 6; Cohen 21.

RIC 103:   APOLL SALVT...

RIC 104a: APOLLO SALVT... "APOLLO instead of APOLL.   This type is much rarer." "Four Bad Years" Note:  not sure of this; quite a few on  acsearch (see die-matches)

Attribution Notes:  Despite low  weight, probably a sestertius based on bust and Apollo size:  

RIC 103:  Long obverse legend  with APOLL reverse.  No As. 

RIC 104a:  Long obverse legend, with APOLLO;  Sest. and As.

RIC 104b:  Short obverse legend, with APOLLO;  Sest. and As.

Die-Match Characteristics: 

Obv.:  Large, upwards ties.

Rev.:  Detailed lyre; S large, C small, at corner of lyre; narrow A, sloppy R in SALVTARI.

Obverse (?) and Reverse:

CNG, Inc. Auction 94;  Lot 1193; 18.09.2013

Reverse only:

CNG, Inc. Elec. Auction 286; Lot 370; 05.09.2012

Baldwin's Auction 100; Lot 847; 27.09.2016

This post made me question it, although looking at the seller's other auctions, I didn't see too many red flags.  So I decided to do an acsearch for die-matches and found a few likely candidates - I am never entirely sure about die-matches on ancients, but here are some I found (obv./rev. and a rev. only) - these always make me feel a bit more secure when it comes to authenticity:

633716319_TrebonianusGallus-SestertiusAPOLLOSALVTARIRIC104a-MINEAug2022picCOMP.jpg.84c23b271a750a34f66880471225e1c9.jpg

So, I like your OP, and it doesn't look fake to me, at least in the usual Bulgarian pressed way that you see all over.  

from what i can see yours looks ok to me Mike...it all comes down to opinion with pics and info..i reckon 🙂

Edited by ominus1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, dougsmit said:

The coin and most of the ones he has on eBay strike me as terrible examples shown in poor photos making it had to say whether they are real or not.  However, real or fake makes no difference to me here.  I see nothing there that I would consider worth the postage let alone cost of the coin.  We each must decide just how bad is too bad to consider.  I have coins in my collection that are this bad but they tend to be very rare, something in my specialty or date back when I was new enough that I did not know better. Today many people will only have mint state coins and I am not one but ask yourself if you really want this level or would pay a bit more for one just a bit prettier.  Overall I believe his ID's seem correct.  The Nero Janus is a special favorite of mine.  This one if far from high grade but appealed to me with the temple facing left.

rb1125fd3268hd.jpg.96a233055a0786bd871ea68f65b2a8b3.jpg

that's a beauty Doug! 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like I ended up with this coin tonight. I'll try and take some new images when it arrives in the mail. Haven't bought many coins lately but figured I won't find a coin with Nero on it for the deal I got. I have rougher coins than this one. Thanks ominus, I'll give it the love it needs.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nero Temple of Janus
54-68 AD. Æ As Struck circa 65 AD
Possibly

Obv: IMP NERO CAESAR AVG GERM, laureate head right. Rev: PACE PR VBIQ PARTA IANVM CLVSIT, View of one front of the temple of Janus, with latticed window to left, and garland hung across closed double doors on the right. RIC 347; BMC 230; cf Sear 1974

24.5mm, 9.76gms ( a bit light for the type )

I used some copper darkener to subdue the cleaning harshness of the copper exposed.

A tough coin to photograph but as promised. It is a little more blackish brown than this image shows.

nero.jpg.fc84a218e35c5dd3aa97cbbf16c6a680.jpg

 

Edited by thenickelguy
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I also purchased a temple of Janus coin. I got it from a coin store on ebay for $30. It seems okay but the wear is kinda weird. I think your coin is fine it's just corroded. It's an interesting type for Nero because very few emperors closed those doors. 

ED0472FA-B86B-45B4-825E-C041826BEA57.jpeg

3E08F493-25ED-430B-A09C-BD16FE259398.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...