Woodworking Project: A Place to Put Coin Books

Curtisimo

One of my hobbies (other than coin collecting) that I rarely have time for anymore is woodworking. When my wife said she wanted a combination bookshelf with drawers for the guest bedroom I told her I would put something together for her as a Christmas present... that was last year. 🤦‍♂️

I had it about 90% done but then I got busy with other things and it sat out in the shop for a few months. She was a good sport about it but I figured I was pushing my luck already so I made some time to get it finished this week.

Without further ado here it is with some books I borrowed from my shelves.

2884CE5E-C0EA-4F58-8F6A-7533EEDE2D7E.png.7ea2351c05b7e80c019c72cdc762e48e.png

It is made of a mix of Brazilian rosewood (beautiful like my wife) and southern yellow pine (decidedly low-brow like me). I like the contrast of darker and lighter woods and I had some of each left over from other projects. The Brazilian rosewood matches the other furniture in the room.

The entire project was 100% solid wood. I used all traditional wood joinery as well: half-blind dovetails for the drawers and through dovetails for the cabinet body. The shelves are slotted through the sides to give it more strength so it doesn’t sag. I used contrasting dowels instead of screws.

7A9EDCF2-65C8-434E-8D9E-015F8098E999.jpeg.fb6c4fc749633054441cffd431be7cdf.jpeg

Here is a view of one of the drawers. The drawer bottoms are also solid wood.

78C302C4-CB9A-4773-A1E2-2F3BBFBB25AB.png.7c2d4234b909691d6d6bf4375e20330b.png

View of the legs. Also some coin and history books to make this post legal.

BA02B1E6-634B-4ABB-8BE7-14628F580758.png.aab155e3f5bc11dae3cc18f417a0d71c.png

I also used solid wood for the back panel. I used a notched slot for the wood slats to hold the panels together but still allow for seasonal wood movement. 

6EB6A142-5B01-4BCC-AF08-943493E67DC1.png.9b27aa31f74d935f9fcd27e0b9b86bbc.png

Well that’s it. I thought it turned out okay and I always enjoy projects that combine some of my hobbies: woodworking and books in this case. My wife being happy is also a big plus.

Now I just need to find the time to finish my much more complicated coin cabinet I’ve been building... maybe this winter.

Please feel free to post anything you feel is relevant. Such as:

Your bookshelves

Woodworking projects

New coin books

Projects of any kind you want to share

Things that took you faaar to long to finish...

Edited by Curtisimo
  • Like 16
  • Yes 1
  • Cool Think 1
  • Gasp 1
  • Clap 1
  • Mind blown 2
  • Heart Eyes 7

1 hour ago, Theodosius said:

Wow, that is really nice! I like the design and wood choices. Did you use a router for the dove tails or cut them by hand?

Looking forward to seeing your coin cabinet.

John

Thanks John! I used a router for the dovetails. I think on my next project I’ll do them by hand though. I like the dovetails thinner and spaced out a bit more. That rosewood is a wonderful wood to work with. It was so stable and dense that I had no trouble whatsoever with cupping or warping after I planed it  

I have been working on some relief carvings for my cabinet. Now I’m stressed out I’ll Mess everything up when I go to cut the joinery!

1 hour ago, Restitutor said:

Phenomenal! Those cuts are clean 😍 Love the use of the darker wood for contrast, and those books really pair well 🙂 Jelly of that SPQR folio book especially! 

Thanks! I am super happy with my Folio SPQR. I was just thinking the other day I need to pick up the Folio Pompeii to go with it. Folio books are always nice to have on the shelf. 🙂

55 minutes ago, CPK said:

Excellent workmanship! That is very well-done!

Thank you sir!

• Like 2

That is a beautiful shelf and wonderful craftsmanship! The dovetails are nice and I really like the contrast of the wood. I think Brazilian rosewood is very difficult to get ahold of now because it was put on the CITES list a few years back. You don't see it used much anymore as people run out of supply and more can't be imported, so that makes it extra special. Again, beautifully done project! 

Here is a bookshelf I designed and built while it was still in the shop back in 2016. It's now the bookshelf I store all of my reference books on and also all of the auction catalogs I have bought coins from. I'll have to update this post with a picture of how it looks currently with everything on it. Its made from ambrosia maple and has a good bit of curl in some of the boards. 3 of the shelves are adjustable with peg holes in the sides of the shelf to adjust height. I really enjoy woodworking, but have so little time for it these days. 

20160611_161832.jpg.ba922801829dc352ca240c65f57b4a20.jpg20160611_135236.jpg.620efc6decdb8a367f661707d3e1ddc4.jpg

Edited by Kazuma78
  • Like 5
  • Cool Think 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

I have never made a piece of furniture but I do like to modify stuff that we buy from different furniture stores, like building doors to open shelves or transforming a single bed into a kingsize. I am now considering adding shelves to the side of a rather large wardrobe I keep in my room, mainly for books and magazines. Was also considering adding a drawer box to the modified bed but eventually gave that up as it would have eaten away at the space reserved for the kids and their toys. I also do paint jobs, typical repairs, especially when it involves walls and inside detailing. Next spring I would like to take some electrician courses if I get the time. I think practical skills and trades are valuable and will continue to be valuable, especially during volatile times.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Steve said:

Wow, that's a fricken gorgeous coin!!

... ummm, I also had a fairly cool example ... 

chimaera.jpg

... my dudes are pointed in the opposite direction 

That is a fantastic coin Steve. Very much an ex6 coin with an animal on each side! I do very much like the coins of Sikyon. Mine has a connection to the Peloponnesian War and yours has a connection to Alexander the Great. Pretty sweet coins.

19 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

That's pretty darn nice!  Nice job on a really snazzy and functional bookcase!

Thank you sir!

18 hours ago, Kazuma78 said:

That is a beautiful shelf and wonderful craftsmanship! The dovetails are nice and I really like the contrast of the wood. I think Brazilian rosewood is very difficult to get ahold of now because it was put on the CITES list a few years back. You don't see it used much anymore as people run out of supply and more can't be imported, so that makes it extra special. Again, beautifully done project! 

Thank you! Very true about rosewood being hard to come by. When I saw that my hardwood supplier had some I snapped up most of the usable pieces I could get from them which wasn’t much. Even in its unfinished state I think it is a beautiful wood and it is very dimensionally stable. Most of my stash is used up now. Maybe I’ll make some coasters from the off-cuts.

19 hours ago, Kazuma78 said:

Here is a bookshelf I designed and built while it was still in the shop back in 2016. It's now the bookshelf I store all of my reference books on and also all of the auction catalogs I have bought coins from. I'll have to update this post with a picture of how it looks currently with everything on it.

Yes please do! I would love to see that beautiful shelf in use. That is a fantastic project. Anything with the word “ambrosia” in it is very appropriate for ancient coin books!

19 hours ago, Kazuma78 said:

I really enjoy woodworking, but have so little time for it these days

Your shop looks very nice and very spacious. I also enjoy working in the shop but like you said I find myself having less and less time to work out there.

5 hours ago, seth77 said:

I think practical skills and trades are valuable and will continue to be valuable, especially during volatile times

Well said. There is just something uniquely enjoyable about building / creating / modifying something that is useful.

• Cool Think 1

9 hours ago, Curtisimo said:

That is a fantastic coin Steve. Very much an ex6 coin with an animal on each side! I do very much like the coins of Sikyon. Mine has a connection to the Peloponnesian War and yours has a connection to Alexander the Great. Pretty sweet coins.

Thank you sir!

Thank you! Very true about rosewood being hard to come by. When I saw that my hardwood supplier had some I snapped up most of the usable pieces I could get from them which wasn’t much. Even in its unfinished state I think it is a beautiful wood and it is very dimensionally stable. Most of my stash is used up now. Maybe I’ll make some coasters from the off-cuts.

Yes please do! I would love to see that beautiful shelf in use. That is a fantastic project. Anything with the word “ambrosia” in it is very appropriate for ancient coin books!

Your shop looks very nice and very spacious. I also enjoy working in the shop but like you said I find myself having less and less time to work out there.

Well said. There is just something uniquely enjoyable about building / creating / modifying something that is useful.

Here it is in all its buried glory right now lol 

20221011_233120.jpg.8bb57383f9de99a9732516764239294f.jpg

I still have a small supply of some rare woods, including some rosewoods but I haven't earmarked them for a project yet. I want to make sure the use is suitable for the scarcity of them so I can do them justice. 

Edited by Kazuma78
  • Like 1