Roman Coins on TV

Sulla80

I am not sure what to make of this ad - it appears that ancient Roman coins are now so popular that it is part of a national advertising campaign.

https://abancommercials.com/bank-america/roman-coins-commercial/174453/

Bankers see big opportunities in the numismatic segment of the market.

"that's how you collect coins"

Antoniniani.jpg.289702da6540ed15060c334bf21b5c7e.jpg

LOL.

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

Hmm, question, so the idea of this commercial is that its better to use that investment thing than post photos of ancient Roman coins? Interesting, because coins are not the most popular part of a museum for many people, so why use coins in the commercial? Does it imply that collecting ancients is very popular in USA but one has better ways to spend money? If so, I agree, and hope many will follow (so prices may drop 😁

(and no, im not good in English, so find it difficult to get the message behind the commercial.)

I've seen this commercial many times 🙄 & it has nothing to do with ancient coins 😏. It's a tacky sales pitch by Bank of America showing a young guy calculating investment returns on his phone 😜. The irony of the commercial is most young people aren't spending time calculating investments on their phones, most of them are using their phones for social media 🤣. I've seen the collection of coins BoA has on display twice, & it's impressive ☺️.

• Like 5

Ha! I remember seeing the OP advertisement on TV, a few weeks ago, when I was visiting someone who has cable TV. I think that's the only time, that I've ever seen ancient coins on TV, except for that Scooby Doo "Coin! Coin! Coin!" episode. And there was one time, on a Columbo episode, or some other such show, where some old guy got his coin collection stolen, and he was therefore losing his mind, and he kept saying "My children! My children!" referring to his coins. But I don't remember, if the coins were ancient or not, because that was a long time ago.

Anyway, when I saw the OP advertisement, I thought to myself, "Are ancient coins becoming that popular?".

Maybe soon, we'll see Matt Damon on TV, urging everyone to invest in ancient coins, because "Fortune favors the brave".

Edited by sand
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Al Kowsky said:

I've seen this commercial many times 🙄 & it has nothing to do with ancient coins 😏. It's a tacky sales pitch by Bank of America showing a young guy calculating investment returns on his phone 😜. The irony of the commercial is most young people aren't spending time calculating investments on their phones, most of them are using their phones for social media 🤣. I've seen the collection of coins BoA has on display twice, & it's impressive ☺️.

Your last sentence makes me wonder; how many banks, companies etc other than museums have collections. I know the Dutch Central Bank has a collection, and it is huge. Does a complete overview exist of these collections? 

• Like 1

• Benefactor

The old Chase Manhattan Bank had a famous Money Museum from 1928-1977, on display in Rockefeller Center from the 1950s. I went to see it a couple of times when I was a child, and was very impressed. I still have the booklet for it somewhere. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_Manhattan_Bank_Money_Museum . When it closed, most of it went to the Smithsonian, and some to the ANS.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, DonnaML said:

The old Chase Manhattan Bank had a famous Money Museum from 1928-1977, on display in Rockefeller Center from the 1950s. I went to see it a couple of times when I was a child, and was very impressed. I still have the booklet for it somewhere. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_Manhattan_Bank_Money_Museum . When it closed, most of it went to the Smithsonian, and some to the ANS.

I found the booklet, dating from 1962 (I was younger than I thought!); here are the front cover, title page, inside back cover, and back cover:

image.jpeg.5727b6f70e2d76f40032ed26a7535631.jpeg

image.jpeg.6894fc8f9d77de9e3d931b6a638ba4cb.jpeg

image.jpeg.f436e471df7e56dc932f4232853c874e.jpeg

image.jpeg.f5a0d1eb39b58eeafe515fa973e429b3.jpeg

• Like 7

• Benefactor
38 minutes ago, AncientJoe said:

Which branch/location are the coins on display? I'd be interested to see what they selected!

I looked on Google but couldn't find anything. Here's an article on BoA's large art collection, concentrating on American contemporary art, but there's no mention at all of coins being a part of it: https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns-tns-bc-wrk-artarchivist-20150922-story.html . To me, corporate art collections seem like something that hasn't been a big thing since the 1980s. 

If the BoA collection can't be found, you could always visit the Deutsche Bundesbank collection of 90,000 coins and 260,000 banknotes in Frankfurt: https://www.bundesbank.de/en/bundesbank/art-and-numismatics/coin-and-banknote-collection/objects/collection-616342

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, AncientJoe said:

Which branch/location are the coins on display? I'd be interested to see what they selected!

8 hours ago, Broucheion said:

Hi All,

There’s the Alpha Bank Collection.
https://www.alphapolitismos.gr/en/02-Numismatic-Collection

- Broucheion 

The last time I was in NYC was 1986, & my memory is too fogy to recall those details 🙁.

• Like 1