..THE BEST GIFT TO GIVE A COIN COLLECTOR?!?

ominus1

4 hours ago, TheTrachyEnjoyer said:

The best gift is asking the collector what they want before purchasing anything! 

(Besides small gifts like a fun tshirt or mug. I Would not recommend trying to buy a coin type for a collector unless you are quite familiar with what they collect and what they already have)

My secret is to bid on a fav. coin (Roma/ CNG/ Kùnker) If I am successfull/ let my wife it it to me for Christmas/ Birthday present😀 Here is one she got for me five years ago.

lf - 2022-10-03T225521.501.jpg

lf - 2022-10-03T225541.420.jpg

• Like 12

5 hours ago, TheTrachyEnjoyer said:

I Would not recommend trying to buy a coin type for a collector unless you are quite familiar with what they collect and what they already have)

Agreed

From a coin collector to another it should not be too difficult : even though we obviously don't collect the same coins, we all share a common sensitivity towards them and putting our mind in another collector's can be done to find the right thing for the right person. I have gifted coins and also have been gifted coins by coin collectors in the past and it's always been something very special occurring.

From a non collector to a collector, I would be more (much more) cautious. Either people ask you what you would like and you (I at least) will not dare asking for THE coin that you've been wanting for years, or you're not asked and the benefactor is likely to grossly overpay something you wouldn't want to acquire yourself.

Q

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Edessa said:

Some VCoins shops used to sell gift certificates. Not sure if this is still on offer.

Every Shop can make an individual Voucher with a certain amount. 

That is absolutely no problem. I would simply write to the "favourite shop" - or the shop that offers the most choice for the recipient - and simply ask the shop owner.

So it's a good idea. This way, the birthday boy or girl has a free choice of a coin - or he or she can pay for a desired coin more cheaply with part of the voucher.

As I said. If the idea comes into question, I would simply write to the shop owner(s). I think some dealers do this.

• Like 5

I used to have the vcoins card which would allow you to just add $£€ to it and then use it to buy whatever from the sellers who accepted it as payment....I found it great and had christmas/ birthday money etc added to it ....I think it is obsolete now which is a shame.

• Like 3

I'm the only collector in my family, so I did the same as some other members. The family member will ask me to purchase a coin in a certain price range, I would acquire it, they would wrap it up and give it as a birthday Or christmas gift.

I understand it may sound a little sterile, and does take the surprise out of the gift, but I ended up with the coin or reference book that I wanted, given to me by a family member who felt good about getting the right gift without worrying.  Might not be right for everyone, but In the end, I think it works well for my family

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Oldhoopster said:

I'm the only collector in my family, so I did the same as some other members. The family member will ask me to purchase a coin in a certain price range, I would acquire it, they would wrap it up and give it as a birthday Or christmas gift.

I understand it may sound a little sterile, and does take the surprise out of the gift, but I ended up with the coin or reference book that I wanted, given to me by a family member who felt good about getting the right gift without worrying.  Might not be right for everyone, but In the end, I think it works well for my family

Also, I tend to purchase coins myself and save literature for birthdays/Christmas for this reason. Having a relative pay for an invoice is more complex than sending an amazon link with books.

• Like 2