Barbarous Radiate of Tetricus I

Al Kowsky

3 hours ago, Ursus said:

That is a wonderful dinosaur coin! I can absolutely see why you bid on it. Had I followed this Savoca auction, I might have done the same...

Here is my favorite barbarous radiate, showing one of Santa's elfs riding on Rudolph the Reindeer:

1921701594_RomBarbarousRadiateStagreverse(neu3).png.1004ce880c3ba24adf670b2982ca01c5.png

This coin is a gem 😍!

• Like 2

On 9/24/2022 at 6:52 AM, Al Kowsky said:

If I was the mint director for Tetricus, I'd hire the engraver of the 3rd coin to work for me 🤔.

Some theorize that Carausius did exactly that when he came to power just a few years after the illicit mints in Britain were suppressed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Orange Julius said:

Here’s an interesting coin whose legend starts with the standard Tetricus II legend but ends in “BIVS TETRI”
Tetricus_II_Imitation1.JPG.78506f9c4aa7cb80f6b7ab99854d4c1b.JPG

…and an unofficial Tetricus II as Augustus! (Obverse legend ends in AVG)

Tetricus_II_Imitation2.JPG.309463f57a7b5200ec49bc34bbe4f8d6.JPG

O.J., Interesting examples, thanks for posting ☺️. I especially like the reverse figure design on the 1st coin 😍.

As a rule, IMO, the worse they are, the better.  My worst is also my only left facing.  The reverse figure holds a rudder so can be identified as Fortuna, standing left.  rr2015fd3313.jpg.ef25d0669bd3e891f7c82335fbd6ff6d.jpg

Again, IMO, the best Barbarous radiates are those that CAN be identified as what they 'are' but do not copy a regular issue type.  I still kick myself thirty years later for not buying one that the dealer thought was worth more than the usual junk.  It showed a clearly drawn stick figure of a man holding a trident and a net.  Was there ever a Retiarius gladiator type officially?  When I saw that, almost no one collected late Roman let alone barbarous late Roman.  I hope the coin still exists in some collection that will someday reenter the market.  I worry about all the things that once existed but have been lost or thrown out with the trash or destroyed in the hundreds of wars between then and now.   

Edit:  I bought this from Don Zauche for $13.  Don specialized in coins other dealers were too good to handle and always had a half price box for coin he had not been able to move along.  Today, we can find a few dealers who would handle such coins but  interest in these has multiplied in the last decade or so along with all those other barbarous coins.  There are few periods and places that do not have at least a few barbarous coins but the Gallic Empire really is a gold mine for scrap copper.

Edited by dougsmit
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, dougsmit said:

As a rule, IMO, the worse they are, the better.  My worst is also my only left facing.  The reverse figure holds a rudder so can be identified as Fortuna, standing left.  rr2015fd3313.jpg.ef25d0669bd3e891f7c82335fbd6ff6d.jpg

Again, IMO, the best Barbarous radiates are those that CAN be identified as what they 'are' but do not copy a regular issue type.  I still kick myself thirty years later for not buying one that the dealer thought was worth more than the usual junk.  It showed a clearly drawn stick figure of a man holding a trident and a net.  Was there ever a Retiarius gladiator type officially?  When I saw that, almost no one collected late Roman let alone barbarous late Roman.  I hope the coin still exists in some collection that will someday reenter the market.  I worry about all the things that once existed but have been lost or thrown out with the trash or destroyed in the hundreds of wars between then and now.   

Edit:  I bought this from Don Zauche for $13.  Don specialized in coins other dealers were too good to handle and always had a half price box for coin he had not been able to move along.  Today, we can find a few dealers who would handle such coins but  interest in these has multiplied in the last decade or so along with all those other barbarous coins.  There are few periods and places that do not have at least a few barbarous coins but the Gallic Empire really is a gold mine for scrap copper.

Very interesting coin, thanks for posting ☺️. Was the engraver having a psychic apparition of the Statue of Liberty 🤣?