Probus style - or show me your coins

Prieure de Sion

26 minutes ago, Barnaba6 said:

@maridvnvm Yes indeed. You brought up a good example. Florian like Probus portaits do not occur ONLY during the 1st emmission. They sometimes occur later on too, although very rarely. The division between emmissions is not crystal clear and dies were of course reused until they wore out regardless of the divisions of emmissions which we invented 1700 years after the coins in question were struck:)

I also have these types from Ticinum's 2nd emmission in my collection. The first coin is Florian like and is likely from the same obverse die as your coin. The second coin is already with a normal Probus bust.

https://colleconline.com/en/items/181941/coins-ancient-to-romans-imperial-and-republican-probus-ric-401var-sold (Florian like portrait)

https://colleconline.com/en/items/125759/coins-ancient-to-romans-imperial-and-republican-probus-ric-401-reserved (standard Probus portrait)

By the way, as far as Probus Restitvt/Restitvtor Saec/Sec/Sae coins from Ticinum are concerned, I have seen Probus Florian like portraits only on the longer (unlisted in RIC) reverse legend variants (i.e. RESTITVTOR SAEC/SEC), never on the shorter RESTITVT SAEC/SEC variants (listed in RIC V.2 under no. 401). These RIC 401 var. Florian like portraits are often obverse die matches with coins from the 1st emmission. This supports the thesis that the long "Restitvtor" variants were struck BEFORE the shorter "Restitvt" variants. I do not think the above observation has been published so far in any numismatic book or article. Please correct me if I am wrong (I have a pretty good knowledge of the Probus numismatic literature and research but of course I might have missed something).

The above observation is one of many I have made during my 10 years of collecting Probus. This has always been one of the beauties of Probus collecting for me. That even a layman collector (i.e. not a numismatic scholar or a professional dealer) may make new discoveries and push the boundaries of hitherto knowledge about Probus coinage.

Edited by Barnaba6
  • Like 1

@Barnaba6 I have made the same comment in my notes that I made when I was obtaining these coins. The thought has been supported by other exampled I have seen over the years.

I also have a SEC example.

Obv:– IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen half from the back
Rev:– RESTITVT SEC, Emperor standing left, holding globe and sceptre, crowned by Victory holding palm.
Minted in Ticinum (VIXXT in exe) Emission 2, Officina 6. A.D. 276
Reference:– RIC 401 Bust type C

normal_RI%20132rz%20img.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, maridvnvm said:

@Barnaba6

I also have a SEC example.

@maridvnvmNice one Martin. I also have a SEC example:

https://colleconline.com/en/items/125758/coins-ancient-to-romans-imperial-and-republican-probus-ric-401-sold

I also have seen but never managed myself to acquire the short "SAE" variant. 

Fortunately, I did manage to get the much rarer and more desirable RESTITVTOR SECV reverse: 

https://colleconline.com/en/items/125761/coins-ancient-to-roman-republic-imperial-probus-ric-405-sold

4.jpg.3c53c08208c663d11c1afa892d3e859a.jpg5.jpg.e13544ee255108eca17eb9896b75230b.jpg

Edited by Barnaba6
  • Like 2