ALERT - Fake Coins for sale in The Cabinet

thenickelguy

I reported this but it remains active :classic_angry:

It bothers me so I am posting. These are obvious Chinese Fakes. Probably not even a drop of silver in them at all and these are not old coins.

They are not even generic silver rounds. I don't care if they are 25 cents a piece shipped free. Our hobby has quite enough Chinese fake stuff and people ripping off people with it.

It is illegal to sell counterfeit coins not marked "COPY" or "REPLICA".

Advertiser

Hi all, 

I have a collection of old silver dollar coins I am looking to sell. 

Please, contact me for further information and offers. 

Best regards, OASDC 

fakes.jpg.da6687fcaf026af24ed45ebcd3787008.jpg

Edited by thenickelguy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Cry 1
  • Shock 2

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, @thenickelguy. I have gone ahead and removed the ad; although I am not well versed in these era of coins, they do seem off. I will update The Cabinet announcement thread to be more clear about fake & replica policies.

Edit: The Cabinet announcement thread original post has now been updated. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

Yes maybe there needs to be a rule that you have to post a certain amount before you can sell, if that's even possible.

I thought this was the policy. @Restitutor, it looks like the seller hadn't posted at all in the regular forum? in which case there's no way they should have access to The Cabinet, right?

• Like 3
  • Yes 1

9 hours ago, Severus Alexander said:

I thought this was the policy. @Restitutor, it looks like the seller hadn't posted at all in the regular forum? in which case there's no way they should have access to The Cabinet, right?

Technically I had written the policy thusly, "if it comes to my attention that anyone is purposefully scamming people, and those accusations are proven, the account will be permanently banned." So, while the coins are clearly fake, it is as yet unproven whether the seller knew they were fakes and would have tried to pass them off as such. We may infer intent, but the policy technically did say 'purposefully' and so would require proof. The new added language makes it crystal clear though that any listing that contains a fake or replica will be removed, regardless of intent. 

• Like 4

There is of course, a difference between a contemporary copy and a blatant fake.

As bad as the Washington dollar was, some people may be fooled.

I think we are too forgiving to give the benefit of doubt to the seller.

I see it as deliberate deception and possible phishing through the use of "contact" link in advert. 

• Like 4

• Benefactor

If a seller has a pattern of posting fake coins for sale, as is very often the case on eBay, that alone should flag the seller for progressive discipline of three warnings to cease such listings, with the fake coins taken down, followed by suspension in the fourth instance, and if he or she persists, permanent banning from the site.  It would be nice if eBay had such a policy, but that might cut into their bottom line to an undesirable extent.

I think the vetting of coins offered on the Cabinet is a good thing, and I like the proactive ceasing of dubious listings.  That hardly ever happens on eBay. 

It is true that establishing intent can be complicated, but a repeating pattern can be a proxy.  It is incumbent on the seller to know what he or she is offering.  Ignorance can be remedied with knowledge. 

• Like 2
  • Yes 1